SansAmp GT2, Line 6 GuitarPort, or Line 6 POD?

Elysian Blaze

The Blade
Aug 1, 2002
Hagerstown, MD
Hello, again. As I look to home recording, three names have popped up: SansAmp GT2, Line 6 GuitarPort, and Line 6 POD. Do any of you have experiences with these? Prices? Setups? I've heard good things about all three, but I'm just looking to see if anyone has personal experience. Thanks.

The SansAmp is probably the cheapest, because it only has overdrive/distortion. I believe the others have multi-effects, which is cool....but Cool Edit Pro has effects that you can add, so you might not need the multi-effect type pedal if you're trying to go cheap. I got my GT2 off of ebay a year or so ago for around $80 (with power adapter).
I simply ran my guitars and my bass through my SansAmp into the mic jack on my laptop (using a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter). Set the recording levels and recorded. I don't have any of it online, but I've had several compliments on the sound quality of both the Sansamp distortion and the cd quality. My laptop has a stock soundcard too.
Here's a liitle tip from experience on the drums. If you are using a drum program like Fruity Loops, write your drum part, but then save each individual drum and cymbal track as a separate wav. That way you can eq each one to your taste when mixing. I put the bass drum tracks down twice. I push the mid and treble up on one of them and mix them - and I can knock stuff off the shelves when I run it through my stereo. The way it should be!
Vocals have got me though. I tried running my mic through my SansAmp, but got way too much 60 cycle hum. The only decent vocal recording I've been able to achieve so far has been from a standard computer mic and LOTS of effects and filters.

Oh, and just to add to your indecision.....don't forget to check out the J Station too!