Saturating a master?

topsoul182

Dec 18, 2009
ive seen in a couple rate my mix threads that people throw a saturator on the master bus. whats the point of that? dont you not want clipping?

Saturation plugs add harmonics and compression (like analog gear, as Nauru implied) and can help glue a mix together.

Also, multi-mono saturation plugs can give a mix more stereo width by creating greater differences between the left and right channels.

I like to, but that doesnt mean theres not something behind to stop clipping, or that you couldnt make accomodations when mixing to not have clipping.

I do it because I like how it sounds. Adds some extra life to it and the clipping helps get it a little louder without using a limiter so much.

Saturation plugs add harmonics and compression (like analog gear, as Nauru implied) and can help glue a mix together.

Also, multi-mono saturation plugs can give a mix more stereo width by creating greater differences between the left and right channels.

Mcdsp Analog Channel 1 - Multi Mono on the 2 bus= Win

I use UAD Fatso or Nebula R2R for this, it helps 'cook up' the mids a bit and get more apparent loudness. Negative side effects are a bit of 'haze' over already distorted sounds like heavy guitars.

Nebula w/AlexB CLC MBC program. FUCKIN WIN.

Hands down.

I'm a Nebula freak as of late... I bought it when 3 was FIRST released because I saw HUGE potential in the technology, but never used it until about 2 weeks ago, haha.

Some of the free user preamp programs are fucking AWESOME, ala Chandler TG and 3124 on GTRs.... shittttttttt

Nebula w/AlexB CLC MBC program. FUCKIN WIN.

Hands down.

I'm a Nebula freak as of late... I bought it when 3 was FIRST released because I saw HUGE potential in the technology, but never used it until about 2 weeks ago, haha.

Some of the free user preamp programs are fucking AWESOME, ala Chandler TG and 3124 on GTRs.... shittttttttt

Sorry for my ignorance and off topic, but nebula is and impulse charger software, isn´t it? So you load an impulse from API 3124, Chandler and so....right?

Sorry for my ignorance and off topic, but nebula is and impulse charger software, isn´t it? So you load an impulse from API 3124, Chandler and so....right?

Not quite, my friend. It's similar to impulse technology but it uses something called Volterra Kernels and is actually capable of capturing a given units harmonic distortion and blah blah. Kind of like dynamic convolution (as opposed to static like all the cab impulses we use and such) but IMO, this is much, much better.

I actually just tried it on a recent mix using Ferox. Put a little feedback for some warmth, put some saturation to tame some really peak-y dynamics, it worked really well.