Can someone explain -18 db mixing?

So for example sake. I use drumagog on my original snare track. (which is tracked properly) The slate samples are hot. Without dragging my faders way down. Would you be lowering the clip gain? or what is a good procedure for the best staging. I am finding that when "mastering" i need to slam my massey 2007 limiter like 8 db gain reduction to get anywhere near -10db rms. But its only really hit the kick and snare hard. If i mute my drums the limiter is barely ever working. Is this a sign my drums are too loud?

Thanks everyone.

LEVELS.jpg

Ok I know I'm peaking at -18 and should have the mean of the wave there instead but my question is...

Well, I set my GT-10 to 100% (volume) with no pre-amp, no effect, just the guitar through and I adjusted my pre-amps on my audio interface to match this peak.

So yeah, the question is, should I match the pre-amp at full volume on the Gt-10 or have the Gt-10 half-way (or 3/4) then match the pre-amp
OR...
Have the pre-amps on my audio interface to MAX and then adjust my volume on the GT-10 ?

It's a bit confusing, although I get where I want you know, but if I was to take this to the very best method, what should I do ?

If you're not using any of the effects on the GT10 then you shouldn't really use it at all, as you're just degrading your signal before it hits the mic preamp by going through the GT10's AD and DA conversion.

To answer your question, I would set your mic preamp to 0dB gain and then adjust the level on your source (in this case the GT10) as this will give the best signal to noise ratio.

So how can I figure what's the 0db gain ? Just the mic pre-amp on lowest position of the pot ?

When jamming, I use delays in my GT-10, other than that like when recording, I only use the pre-amp sims and process everything later in the DAW

Interesting thread.

When I receive sessions recorded close to 0 dB (which is 95 % of the time)

I start with a trim on the first insert in PT set to -18 dB, leave all my faders at 0 dB and start mixing...

Rule #1 in my book: Never touch the master fader = if is't too loud, turn the damn channel faders down! :)