Satyricon-Nemesis Divina

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
Satyricon-Nemesis Divina, an album that I was disappointed by initially but then I really grew to like it, I wasn't quite used to Satyr's more croaky-like rasp but now I really like it, I was used to his Volcano/Now Diabolical vocals. Basically there are some really great moments on this CD and the best parts of the songs generally seem to be the intro and the climax, so there was obviously some great songwriting going on here. My favorite songs on here are Dawn of a New Age, Mother North, and Immortality Passion. I really like this CD, it's very good and on the fringes of greatness, nearly a classic but not quite one, I give it a 9/10.

It's a great album, don't know many who think otherwise but I'm sure there is someone here who does...

Indeed, Nemesis Divina represents Satyricon at their peak. With this album, all their creative influences combined. The medieval touches of Dark Medieval Times and the folk-inspired riffs of The Shadowthrone combine with an extra shot of passionate hatred that would fuel their later albums (mind the pun).

The vocals are harsh and strong yet are backed with determined emotion. The guitar interplay is stellar, with Satyr and Nocturno Culto delivering the kind of black metal guitar performance that so many enthusiasts crave. The drumming, of course, is incredibly impressive; blasting at points of great intensity and providing all the appropriate rhythms for the theme.

All hail Nemesis Divina.

^I noticed the drums were a bit lower in the mix than on Now, Diabolical. It really came close to getting a perfect score from me, but at certain times the songs arent as intereting as they once were. Take the song Nemesis Divina fort example, the first 2 minutes are some of the best music I've ever heard in black metal, and then after that it's solid but not quite as interesting, but the climax really makes up for it. That's really the only flaw this CD has.

^I noticed the drums were a bit lower in the mix than on Now, Diabolical. It really came close to getting a perfect score from me, but at certain times the songs arent as intereting as they once were. Take the song Nemesis Divina fort example, the first 2 minutes are some of the best music I've ever heard in black metal, and then after that it's solid but not quite as interesting, but the climax really makes up for it. That's really the only flaw this CD has.

The less interesting parts on Nemesis Divina are certainly better than the mindlessly-repeating-the-same-power-chord sections found on their last two albums.

The less interesting parts on Nemesis Divina are certainly better than the mindlessly-repeating-the-same-power-chord sections found on their last two albums.
True, and the lesser songs on Nemesis Divina are a lot better than the lesser songs off Now, Diabolical.

Yes, and Nemesis Divina contains my favorite black metal band photo of all time. I know how people claim it's silly, but I think it rocks.

bm1.jpg

^What the hell? I guess youre referring to the picture in the booklet that has Satyr on the throne holding the skull while Frost and Kveldulv(Nocturno Culto) look on with corpsepaint and weaponry in hand. I really like the corpsepaint they wore for those pictures as well. That picture is on the back of the Satyricon Nemesis Divina shirt, too bad it's so hard to just find one anywhere, even online I can't find anything.