Satyricon - The Shadowthrone

Crimson Velvet said:
Am I mistaken? Doesn't Satyr own Moonfog? I've seen him out on the towna few times, and he walks around in Prada suits...

He does run Moonfog, but most of his capital probably lies in that very company. He probably takes out profit from Moonfog every now and then (and I don't think you have to pay taxes from company profit). In conclusion, he's probably a lot richer than what the tax lists claim.

Erik said:
Satyr is quite obviously SUCH a money hungry power thirsty penny pinching fear inflicting double crossing back stabbing promising eternity for a price suckin' brain washing mind raping soul stealing constant preaching salvation reaching lowest form of human fucking life..

YEAH he is.

but even if i love dark medieval times and shadowthrone,i cant deny the FACT that rebel extravaganza is by far the best satyricon album.did it for the money? i dont give a flying shit.if it takes money-hunger to compose such a perfect album,then let money-hunger reign.

You can't just count riches with those annual tax report-thingies, Satyr probably has a three-storey megabig supar house in the Moonfog company name and fifteen limos and bla bla bla I hope you get my point (about most people, not just Satyr) becaus ei just got tired

You can't just count riches with those annual tax report-thingies, Satyr probably has a three-storey megabig supar house in the Moonfog company name and fifteen limos and bla bla bla I hope you get my point (about most people, not just Satyr) becaus ei just got tired

and,of course,that explains why his music is so shitty now eh?

That had nothing to do with that part of the conversation, but living as entwined with modern-day civilization as I think he does these days and having his money-hunger probably makes him unable or at the very least unwilling to create music I would enjoy

I think it's a pretty common going from: wanting to earn money on the music ---> compromise/making it more accessible/less depth ---> crap (usually, I also enjoy Rebel Ex.)

Actually, you have to take into account whether you listen to (and follow) music as a lifestyle, or whether you listen to music as an entertainment artform.

If you reduce music to 'entertainment', than what happens behind the scenes becomes irrelevant. If 'lifestyle', then the agenda behind the making of the music becomes selection criteria.

I'm sure also there is an inbetween depending on the genre. Some genres are pure entertainment, no matter how you interpret them. (power metal, hair metal, etc).

Music creates/communicates feeling/s, and those feelings are more or less deep and different altogether based on a number of things. NO joke band can make another DMDS. NOONE can match Pleasure to Kill without caring for what they do. Bla bla bla I'm still tired so I hope you get it.

JayKeeley said:
I'm sure also there is an inbetween depending on the genre. Some genres are pure entertainment, no matter how you interpret them. (power metal, hair metal, etc).
This is a rare occasion of me, Erik, sticking up for power metal... You just can't lump everything together like that, not all power metal is Edgay and Ram-a-Gay. Though I can't think of a power metal band with meaningful lyrics and worthwhile music at the moment, I'm quite sure there are some. Hair rock, OTOH, is of course complete bollocks.

Erik said:
Though I can't think of a power metal band with meaningful lyrics... I'm quite sure there are some.
That's just the thing, there really aren't -- not in the same way that people would interpret Black Metal or NSBM. Yes, good lyrics always help, but my goat, you have to be pretty forgiving half the time. It's all about the music at the end of the day.

On the other hand, people will follow "black metal" or NSBM for reasons other than just the music, as you pointed out in other threads. I'm sure there are occasions when the listener doesn't really tend to like the music, but will still buy the record as long as it follows the ideaology.

JayKeeley said:
Actually, you have to take into account whether you listen to (and follow) music as a lifestyle, or whether you listen to music as an entertainment artform.

If you reduce music to 'entertainment', than what happens behind the scenes becomes irrelevant. If 'lifestyle', then the agenda behind the making of the music becomes selection criteria.

I wouldn't say I've a certain musical lifestyle. I take music seriously, yes, but lifestyle? Perhaps :|
The main things, more important than anything else, for me to really enjoy music is it's sincerety; a lot of bands would really loose some of their magic if I learned of the members beeing complete hypocrites; say the Empyrium members were massive share holders in a timber company or similar when they recorded their albums. But perhaps that's the criterion for a lifestyle?

spaffe said:
say the Empyrium members were massive share holders in a timber company or similar when they recorded their albums.
Haha, that would be hysterical. Actually, I hear Agalloch don't believe in recycling paper.... :loco:

<<say the Empyrium members were massive share holders in a timber company>>

13987310_F_tn.jpg

Need some Agalloch?

Erik said:
Though I can't think of a power metal band with meaningful lyrics and worthwhile music at the moment, I'm quite sure there are some.

I don't think they are, but many consider Nevermore to be American Power Metal. If Nevermore is Power Metal, than they would qualify.

Zod