Savatage Fans

VenomGA

At War With Stan
Jul 28, 2005
I have been on a Savatage kick lately. I would like to know what other Savatage fans consider as essential songs of the band. I would like for you to list the best songs from 2 different eras of Savatage. You can either list @80 minutes of Sirens to Hall of the Mountain King and a separate one from Gutter Ballet to Poets & Madmen since this marked a change in style for the band or break the bands 12 records out evenly so Sirens to Gutter Ballet and then Streets thru Poets & Madmen. Should be interesting to see what everyone puts. :headbang:

I don't necessarily agree with your split on eras as I would take it from Sirens through Streets personally. However, here are the cuts I would consider for a compliation:

Sirens- Sirens
The Dungeons Are Calling- By Grace of the Witch, City Beneath the Surface
Power of the Night- Power of the Night
Fight for the Rock- Hyde
Hall of the Mountain King- HotMK, Strange Wings,
Gutter Ballet- Gutter Ballet, When the Crowds Are Gone
Streets- The entire damn album

Edge of Thorns- Edge of Thorns, He Carves His Stone, Follow Me, All that I Bleed
Handful of Rain- Handful of Rain, Chance, Alone You Breathe
Dead Winter Dead- One Child, Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)
The Wake of the Magellen- Turns to Me, TWotM, The Hourglass
Poets & Madman- Morphine Child, Commissar

Harvester said:
I don't necessarily agree with your split on eras as I would take it from Sirens through Streets personally. However, here are the cuts I would consider for a compliation:
I prefer the early period Sirens thru Mtn King, I absolutely love the old heavier sound. It took me a LONG time to get into Gutter Ballet and Streets since is was such a change from Mtn King. Therefore, it was years before I got back into the band for some truly great material with Zak.

They're my favorite band for sure! I'm hangin on for a reunion tour tooth & nail! :)

With that said, I love both eras equally. I tend to break the two eras into Sirens to Fight For The Rock, then HOTMK to Poets and Madmen. Why? Paul O'Neill came into the picture at HOTMK and various element crept their way into the music from that point on. Plus, HOTMK is what saved the band from total demise after the Fight For the Rock flop, eventhough I love the title cut from that disc. I'm glad to see Glenn include Fight For The Rock on his compilation by the way.

The following are my picks for a compilation:

Sirens, Warriors, By The Grace of the Witch, Fight For the Rock, Beyond The Doors of the Dark, Strange Wings, HOTMK, Gutter Ballet, Hounds, Streets, Ghost In The Ruins, Believe, Edge of Thorns, All That I Bleed, Handfull of Rain, Staring At The Sun, This Is The Time, Dead Winter Dead, Morning Sun (one of my all time favorites), Blackjack Goulitine, Commisar, Awaken, Morphine Child *Shotgun Innocence* as a bonus cut :headbang:

I know my picks are Zak heavy, but you can't deny the greatness of the O'Neill era, which consist mainly of Zak songs.

To me there are 2 different eras...with Criss (RIP)...and (sadly)without.

With: Holocaust
City Beneath the Surface
Unusual
Warriors
24 Hours Ago
Strange Wings
Of Rage and War
Thorazine Shuffle
Jesus Saves
Ghost in the Ruins
He Carves His Stone

Without:Taunting Cobras
Nothings Going On
Alone You Breathe
Doesn't Matter Anyway
This Isn't What We Meant
Blackjack Guillotine
The wake of the Magellan
There in the Silence
Morphine Child

all of Savatage's albums are essential, except for maybe FFTR. :)

Sirens: Sirens, Holocaust, I Believe (one of the best Savatage songs EVER!)
The Dungeons Are Calling - TDAC, By the Grace of the Witch
Power of the Night (highly underrated album) - Warriors (one of the best Savatage songs EVER!), PotN, Necrophilia
Fight For the Rock - The Edge of Midnight, Hyde
Hall of the Mountain King - Beyond the Doors of the Dark (one of the best Savatage songs EVER!), Legions, HotMK, Devastation
Gutter Ballet - Of Rage and War, GB, When the Crowds Are Gone, Unholy
Streets - Tonight He Grins Again, St. Patrick's, Ghost in the Ruins, If I Go Away, Somewhere in Time/Believe

Edge of Thorns - EoT, He Carves His Stone (one of the best Savatage songs EVER!), Follow Me, Conversation Piece, Miles Away, Sleep (one of the best Savatage songs EVER!), and, if you have the Japanese import, Shotgun Innocence. Sorry I couldn't narrow it down any more than that, but it's my favorite cd. :)
Handful of Rain - HoR, Castles Burning, Alone You Breathe
Dead Winter Dead - This is the Time, Starlight, One Child, Not What You See
The Wake of Magellan - Turns to Me, TWoM, The Hourglass
Poets and Madmen -Stay With Me a While, Commissar, Morphine Child, Surrender

I understand completely that Savatage has essential ALBUMS, but I was thinking of making my wife a couple of Savatage compilation cds to give her a broad spectrum of the band. She knows Hall of the Mountain King since I play that a lot.

Harvester said:
here are the cuts I would consider for a compliation:

Sirens- Sirens
Fight for the Rock- Hyde

Edge of Thorns- Edge of Thorns, He Carves His Stone, Follow Me, All that I Bleed

That's exactly the "best of" I'd vote for! :headbang: :headbang:

Harvester said:

Sirens- Sirens
Fight for the Rock- Hyde

Glenn you took the words right out of my mouth. I would just add the title track to "Dungeons", "Beyond the Doors of the Dark" from "Mountain King", "This is the Time" from "Dead Winter".

edgeofthorns said:
I love The Price You Pay, but I can take or leave White Witch. It's not feasible for me to put all of my favorite Savasongs on one compilation disc. :OMG:
Hence why i am making a 2 disc compilation for my wife!:headbang: