Savatage - Streets CD/DVD now in stock

lasercd

Man Behind The Curtain
Dec 26, 2002
www.lasercd.com
Just got in copies of the previously unreleased narrated version of Savatage's "Streets".

https://www.lasercd.com/node/10345

Here's all the bullshit label hype:

earMUSIC is happy to announce the long-awaited final chapter of the successful Savatage re-issues series. Previously unreleased and originally only intended for the Broadway rendition, “Streets: A Rock Opera” - the groundbreaking album by Savatage – is now released including its original narration parts.
To complete this extraordinary release and to award the many fans who have shown dedication and love for Savatage’s legacy, the final chapter of this reissue series will feature the band’s favourite videos. Released for the first time on DVD and restored from the original tapes, the video collection spans from Savatage’s 1987’s video ‘Hall Of The Mountain King’ until 1996’s ‘One Child’.

As on all previous chapters of the Savatage re-issues series, the album includes newly-written liner notes by Jon Oliva, who is sharing his memories about all Savatage videos.
Fans looking for unreleased and rare bonus tracks will be happy to discover a lot of extra audio content on the DVD: ‘Shotgun Innocence’, ‘Forever After’, one instrumental acoustic version of ‘Voyage’, live versions of ‘Stare Into The Sun’ and ‘Conversation Piece’ recorded in Japan (but NOT included on the official live CD) and the piano version of ‘Sleep’. The bonus track ‘Larry Elbows’ deserves a special mention: this previously unreleased song didn’t make it on the original “Streets: A Rock Opera” album due to time limits and is finally available to all the fans that never forgot the creativity and the energy of this extraordinary band.

“I’m really excited for this version of ´Streets´ to finally be released" – says Jon Oliva – “It was something different, an idea that Paul O’Neill had to take the progressive rock opera format to a bigger and better place than anything we had done, and anything I had heard anyone else doing before. This version of the album has only been floating around on bootlegs.”

I have heard this and it is very cool. It helps explain the story better. Problem is, there is still half the album still missing!! I wish they would release that. THAT would be the entire CD as it was intended to be released until Atlantic shit-canned the idea. Now they have claimed to have lost the masters (does anyone really BELIEVE that bullshit??).

Cool idea, though - releasing all the vids together - I have them, but they are scattered all over many compliation tapes, mostly VHS!! Seeing as STREETS is my all-time favorite CD, I may have to get this!!

Chris :headbang:

I have the original STREETS DEMOS....

The best track is the original Tonight he Grins Again as, "Screwed Up Again"

Very few original song titles made it to the final released version.

What is the region encoding on the DVD? I got burned on that Still the Orchestra Plays DVD.

It's PAL Region 6. But you can easily find a multi-region DVD player with PAL converter or Blu-Ray with the same DVD features. Just look on the web or Amazon.

Also the disc plays on any computer.

It may just be because I've heard Jesus Saves a thousand times or so, but I actually kind of prefer the original version recorded as "DT Jesus" (I actually used DTJesus as an internet name for many years, I was such a fan of the album :) )

I wonder if Jon is going to add some TSO theatrics to the Streets set and have the bum come out and talk in between each song to move the story along?

I just don't understand why they wouldn't just release the whole thing as it was meant to be? Either the tracks are really lost or someone just isn't listening to the fans. Even worse, O'Neill plans on bastardizing the original tracks as TSO re-makes. :Smug::rolleyes:

If I have to hear one more skinny, blonde, 20 something, American Idol wannabe sing "Sleep" I'm going to hurl! The only person within the TSO camp worthy enough to sing a Savatage original is Jeff Scott Soto. Otherwise, they need to leave well enough alone. I'd love to tell O'Neill that to his face.

~Brian~

I just don't understand why they wouldn't just release the whole thing as it was meant to be? Either the tracks are really lost or someone just isn't listening to the fans. Even worse, O'Neill plans on bastardizing the original tracks as TSO re-makes. :Smug::rolleyes:

If I have to hear one more skinny, blonde, 20 something, American Idol wannabe sing "Sleep" I'm going to hurl! The only person within the TSO camp worthy enough to sing a Savatage original is Jeff Scott Soto. Otherwise, they need to leave well enough alone. I'd love to tell O'Neill that to his face.

~Brian~

DING!DING!DING! That's why the original tapes will never surface. He threw out a couple of bones with Desiree, DT Jesus, and Larry Elbows.

As a Savatage re-release of Streets with the original songs that were cut, you have a very niche audience. With the songs released as TSO, both recorded and as part of the long promised musical, you have a new audience of people from teenagers to grandparents who have never heard of Savatage.

For example: at the Dallas TSO show where they recorded the still-to-be-seen DVD of Beethoven's Last Night in 2010, we walked out and there's the freakin' Mountain King sitting in a chair next to the side exit from the main seating area.

I immediately freak out and start going completely fanboy on him - while just about everyone else glances over and keeps walking without breaking stride...

Major labels holding onto every single master of every single release is what is what's hard to believe.

Yep,
Its amazing how many bands can't get their masters back.

Like seriously, is IRS (Does that label even still exist?) really plan to re-release Nuclear Assault's SURVIVE album? What do they think? That magically they are going to become an arena band and they will lose out on $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....

And even in the digital age too - you can't expect a company to hang on to masters released decades, or even a decade ago. It's nothing unusual. Shit, alot of video games these days that get HD remakes have to be essentially remade because the dev wouldn't have the sourcecode anymore.

New solution: don't sign a record deal where you lose control of your masters. Done!

Tell that to a bunch of 20 year old kids who have just added a fortune (to them) handed to them on a piece of paper.

Easy to say from afar, but when you are in that situation that is the last thing going through your mind.

~Brian~

Personally, I think it was the gunman on the grassy knoll that Castro hired to steal the masters. But we will never know for sure.

Come on folks, this is just getting wacky. You'd be surprised how many record labels and film studios can't find the original masters. Due to incompetence, poor security or lost in an accident. Just ask Doctor Who fans.

Tell that to a bunch of 20 year old kids who have just added a fortune (to them) handed to them on a piece of paper.

Easy to say from afar, but when you are in that situation that is the last thing going through your mind.

Then this is just paying for the impetuousness of youth, isn't it?

A deal like that diminishes incentives from the label to support the band much though.

Deals can still be struck this way that are beneficial to all parties. See Periphery. Doesn't Misha maintain ownership of all masters?

For example: at the Dallas TSO show where they recorded the still-to-be-seen DVD of Beethoven's Last Night in 2010, we walked out and there's the freakin' Mountain King sitting in a chair next to the side exit from the main seating area.

I immediately freak out and start going completely fanboy on him - while just about everyone else glances over and keeps walking without breaking stride...

:kickass:...I would've acted the same way as you!

~Brian~