Savatage - Streets CD/DVD now in stock

Major labels holding onto every single master of every single release is what is what's hard to believe.

I understand your point, but O'Neill has had such close ties to Lava/Atlantic for so many years it's still hard to buy into that he doesn't have the original masters. Especially, since he's the one that came up with the Streets concept and had bigger plans for it in the future that obviously never panned out.

If they're truly lost, then get creative and re-record the darned things.

~Brian~

:kickass:...I would've acted the same way as you!

~Brian~

I so regret not getting a better picture, but one of the many people who didnt recognize him was also apparently unable to use an iPhone, and I didn't want to ask for yet another attempt.

1383277_743518795663359_1411886425_n.jpg

~Brian~

Paul is working on re-recording it. But it will be with the original title, Gutter Ballet and be done by TSO. Which I have mixed feelings about.

Quite frankly listening to this narrated version, I am reminded of the crude production. In the loudest portions, it's quite messy and noisy. Losing the dynamics and potential of each song. While TSO can certainly clean that up, they are also famous for taming the Savatage songs to the point of blandness. These songs need the full emotion, power and grit, they deserve.

While Jon has never had the best voice, he can be incredible expressive. And I am afraid a string of TSO guest vocals just won't do justice to the songs. Even Zak and Damien couldn't equal Jon's emotion.

I understand your point, but O'Neill has had such close ties to Lava/Atlantic for so many years it's still hard to buy into that he doesn't have the original masters. Especially, since he's the one that came up with the Streets concept and had bigger plans for it in the future that obviously never panned out.

~Brian~

No, it makes perfect sense. Having "close ties" means nothing because major label people come and go all the time - A&R guys are INFAMOUS for leaving one major label for another. Also, Atlantic hasn't been a heavy music label in years. It has been Warner's alternative/indie label for quite some time now.

Unless it was a massive hit, it wouldn't make sense for a major label that releases hundreds of records per year to hold onto the label. If Square Enix couldn't hold onto the original source code for Kingdom Hearts, which sold millions of copies, don't be surprised if Atlantic couldn't hold onto the masters from a record that sold a couple hundred thousand.

And re-record? Really??? Don't you think all the magic of the record would be lost if they did that though?

Deals can still be struck this way that are beneficial to all parties. See Periphery. Doesn't Misha maintain ownership of all masters?

Periphery is in a deal where their label manager is also their booking agent. Most labels don't have the same luxury of being able to provide booking for their bands. Also Periphery pays for ALL of their production expenses out of their own pockets which also justifies their licensing deal.

While Jon has never had the best voice, he can be incredible expressive. And I am afraid a string of TSO guest vocals just won't do justice to the songs. Even Zak and Damien couldn't equal Jon's emotion.

But what Jon has is uniqueness. There isn't anyone on this planet that sounds like him. That's why I have trouble even listening to the Zak stuff because I would prefer it just be sung by Jon.

But what Jon has is uniqueness. There isn't anyone on this planet that sounds like him.

Couldn't agree more.

I love the albums with Zak - I do tend to compartmentalize them into this Savatage and that Savatage, though.. but I think its more along the lines of Criss' albums and then what came after, rather than Jon versus Zak.

Honestly, aside from Streets, Edge of Thorns is probably my favorite Savatage albums.

Paul is working on re-recording it. But it will be with the original title, Gutter Ballet and be done by TSO. Which I have mixed feelings about.

Quite frankly listening to this narrated version, I am reminded of the crude production. In the loudest portions, it's quite messy and noisy. Losing the dynamics and potential of each song. While TSO can certainly clean that up, they are also famous for taming the Savatage songs to the point of blandness. These songs need the full emotion, power and grit, they deserve.

The production has never bothered me, but I know what you're referring to. I've always thought it sounded like they recorded it live in a theater of some sort. I know that it wasn't, but maybe that's what O'Neill was going for.

No, it makes perfect sense. Having "close ties" means nothing because major label people come and go all the time - A&R guys are INFAMOUS for leaving one major label for another. Also, Atlantic hasn't been a heavy music label in years. It has been Warner's alternative/indie label for quite some time now.

Unless it was a massive hit, it wouldn't make sense for a major label that releases hundreds of records per year to hold onto the label. If Square Enix couldn't hold onto the original source code for Kingdom Hearts, which sold millions of copies, don't be surprised if Atlantic couldn't hold onto the masters from a record that sold a couple hundred thousand.

And re-record? Really??? Don't you think all the magic of the record would be lost if they did that though?

Periphery is in a deal where their label manager is also their booking agent. Most labels don't have the same luxury of being able to provide booking for their bands. Also Periphery pays for ALL of their production expenses out of their own pockets which also justifies their licensing deal.

You're probably right. It just sucks if those tapes were lost. Honestly, it would be kind of cool if the album was re-recorded as it was originally intended. Simply with the original lineup, with Skolnick standing in for Criss. He'd be the only one that I'd want to attempt that. I would want Jon at the helm though, but O'Neill wouldn't ever allow that to happen.

Yup. Surprised the hell out of me too. I got it pretty much a day after I ordered.

Yeah, me too.

~Brian~

You're probably right. It just sucks if those tapes were lost. Honestly, it would be kind of cool if the album was re-recorded as it was originally intended. Simply with the original lineup, with Skolnick standing in for Criss. He'd be the only one that I'd want to attempt that. I would want Jon at the helm though, but O'Neill wouldn't ever allow that to happen.

The longer I read about O'Neil the bigger of a control freak he seems.

Yup.. its paid off... and that's probably part of why we'll not see a Savatage reunion. TSO pulls down tens of millions of dollars in the space of 2 months of shows every year. What would a Savatage tour make? A few hundred thousand, if they can sell out every decent sized venue in the cities national tours usually hit these days?

That's the sad thing.. I never saw Savatage play to more than 400 people here in Dallas, but the music had so much more to it than the TSO shows that sell out two shows at American Airlines Center every year at $75 a pop.

Yup.. its paid off... and that's probably part of why we'll not see a Savatage reunion. TSO pulls down tens of millions of dollars in the space of 2 months of shows every year. What would a Savatage tour make? A few hundred thousand, if they can sell out every decent sized venue in the cities national tours usually hit these days?

That's the sad thing.. I never saw Savatage play to more than 400 people here in Dallas, but the music had so much more to it than the TSO shows that sell out two shows at American Airlines Center every year at $75 a pop.

Oh I totally get it; however, I don't see what the problem would be with having savatage tour or whatever when TSO is out of season.