Saving your hearing for the details

johnzorn

Sep 20, 2004
This question goes out to everyone on the boards and to Andy, James, who ever else has been recording loud music for years. How do you keep your hearing in tip top shape so you can hear the details and know what to take out or put into the tracks. I know over time hearing degenerates and it can't be helped, but I hear that doing this or that certain thing can help you keep your hearing good for longer. I know when your mixing some metal tracks or what not your listening to the music pretty loud and all that. Or is it over the years you get intuned to what to listen for that your hearing really doesn't effect it. Any responses welcome because I'm very paranoid about my hearing and dont' want to damage it too much. :headbang:

Moonlapse said:
Damnit, I hate ear plugs. Hate them so damn much.

I love 'em.
I shelled out 150 US last year (well actually my parents did for my Christmas present) and got some custom molded ER-15's.

They have a flat frequency response so you're pretty much hearing everything exactly the same just 15 decibels quieter (or 25 if you get the interchangeable buttons) unlike the shitty major roll offs from foam plugs.
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.asp

SPLASTiK said:
I love 'em.
I shelled out 150 US last year (well actually my parents did for my Christmas present) and got some custom molded ER-15's.

They have a flat frequency response so you're pretty much hearing everything exactly the same just 15 decibels quieter (or 25 if you get the interchangeable buttons) unlike the shitty major roll offs from foam plugs.
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.asp
I've been looking at those forever. Was the Dr. visit expensive?

egan. said:
I've been looking at those forever. Was the Dr. visit expensive?

Actually the one I went to was free.
We called and they said they didn't charge for exams or making the molds to send away to get plugs made, only charge for the plugs themselves. It was a hearing aids dealer.

SPLASTiK said:
Actually the one I went to was free.
We called and they said they didn't charge for exams or making the molds to send away to get plugs made, only charge for the plugs themselves. It was a hearing aids dealer.
Killer! I'll call around and see what the deal is.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
You shouldn't listen to music loudly enough to damage your hearing anyway.

You aren't hearing at your ear's flattest frequency response at high volume.
Actually hearing response gets flatter as things get louder, but that really doesn't make it any more logical to mix at 110dB....but most of us know that. Truthfully a greater and more likely risk is working on a session for 10 hours at 85dB.
Just watch your levels and make sure you aren't turning the volume up slowly and wear plugs for live stuff. They take some getting used to but it's worth it.....unless your mixing FOH (but I think the custom plugs may work for that...I'll let you know).