Savoring A Band

PowerBob

Nov 8, 2006
TX
Have you ever got into a band with an extensive catalogue and did not buy all the albums eventhough you wanted them all , only because you wanted to feel like there was still something left out there from that artist that you have not had the pleasure of absorbing just yet?

Im typing this cause I own all of Opeths studio albums except Orchid. I have always put off buying this album because I wanted to have that album left so I could always have that remaining album waiting there. I finally lost my patience after hearing The Apostle In Triumph which is amazing IMO, so I decided to buy it. Well anyway, I always would see Orchid at the local best buy , and it was like on the Simpsons were Homer talks about Mr T being at the mall saying "Ill go a little later, Ill go a little." and when he finally arrives Mr. T is gone. Well I always said, "Ill buy it a little later, Ill buy it a little later." And well I go to get the fucker a few days ago and after a year of sitting there its fuckin gone. I know there is other ways of getting it, Amazon, another out of the way record store but damn the fact that the whole "its there never when you need it" scenario came into play again. And that situation sucks lol.

what are you waiting for? just go buy it off the internet and enjoy it. i see no reason in waiting to hear a great album from a fantastic band, no matter how backed up u are with their other releases.

Have you ever got into a band with an extensive catalogue and did not buy all the albums eventhough you wanted them all , only because you wanted to feel like there was still something left out there from that artist that you have not had the pleasure of absorbing just yet?

No, I can't say that I have.

Yes! :)
I still have my Panopticon (Isis) and Given To The Rising (Neurosis) in full packaging and plastic foil, although I bought these CDs many weeks ago. that may be weird, but I like to wait for the right moment to give them the first listen

I understand what alex is saying. In that some bands just wont fit the mood. I recently bought zeppelins psysical graffiti. iv heard it before, but i havnt listened to my hard copy yet since i havnt been in a zeppelin mood.

And what the original poster said. I sometimes wish i had did that. Insted of rushing and buying every opeth cd, or every black sabbath record i wish i had digested what i had all raedy listened to. maybe even saving one a month. But I couldnt wait and i got them all in short time! Sabbath's was harder to get, since at the time i didnt have a job, and was still in school!

Yes! :)
I still have my Panopticon (Isis) and Given To The Rising (Neurosis) in full packaging and plastic foil, although I bought these CDs many weeks ago. that may be weird, but I like to wait for the right moment to give them the first listen

Rip out Panopticon imo. Fucking amazing.

I don't wait, I just buy them all at the same time then listen one by one. probably takes me a month to savour a really good album, then I'll move onto the next.

yes ill agree with the waiting to indulge completley, but i still have to buy the album asap. once i buy it ill listen to it when the mood is right.

I got Damnation and Blackwater Park and loved them so much, I asked my parent's to get me every other Opeth album as a present. That was a fucking cool Christmas!

Well if you liked Morningrise don't hesitate to listen to Orchid, those 2 albums have the same type of sound. Orchid blows it out of the water though, in my opinion. Morningrise is fucking great don't get me wrong, but some of the basslines are re-fucking-diculous and sound retarded during the heavier parts. Ok, my rant is done. But go listen to the opening track of Orchid and be amazed.

Yeah DeFarfalla does overstep his boundaries in some songs, I think thats why Mendez is a better player because he knows when to play and when not to .

^True words. As for the savoring thing, I've never really done that. I have bought albums that I have yet to finish though, but primarily because I became too disinterested in them to actually listen to them all the way through.

I spent about a year getting the discographies for Opeth, Nile and Meshuggah, because I wanted the records to really sink in deep.
I got GR about two years ago, and that one lasted until Christmas, and I have the music of that record deeply entangled with the weather we get at this time of year.

I try not to buy more than one of those massive, epic records at a time, to be able to commit to the journey, so to speak (or rather, type).

"Have you ever got into a band with an extensive catalogue and did not buy all the albums eventhough you wanted them all , only because you wanted to feel like there was still something left out there from that artist that you have not had the pleasure of absorbing just yet?"

haha a friend of mine has done the exactly same thing,but the thing is,the one he has not bought yet is morningrise,and orchid is his favorite opeth record!
well,i say to him,if for example bwp or mayh was your favourite,it wouldnt be a big deal,but morningrise being pretty much just an even better version of orchid...

OP, I totally understand how you feel. The moment I got into Opeth I immediately devoured everything I could get my dirty little paws on. Don't get me wrong, none of Opeth's albums ever get old but that feeling of finding something you never knew existed is obviously gone, though I still hear things in their albums differently each time I listen to them. so I guess that's kind of the same thing.

I still remember the first time I head Blackwater Park..I was equally appalled and amazed.

Yeah I have done this as well with a few band. I also did it with the show MASH. I was going through every season looking forward to a new episode and when I finished it I was kind of disappointed to know there was nothing more to see.

Yeah I did the whole "not gonna open it 'til I really, really wanna" thing with Deliverance. It sat in the back seat of my car perfectly cellophaned for a good 2-3 weeks.

Then one day I was working at this warehouse and some dude was repairing one of the fiberglass skylights that Katrina took out and he fell through landing back flat to the ground from 16 feet up(just under 5m) and appeared to be having a seizure which I thought would lead to his death(he lived...just a broken jaw.) He reminded me of my dad in some strange way and I suddenly felt compelled to see my pop and drove a good hour or so to make sure he was okay.

I popped in Deliverance and it was love at second sight. Disappointingly I'd had everything on it but Wreath on my hard drive already but discovered a lot of new stuff since my car's(at the time) CD/MP3 player always rerstarted the current track if you killed the engine and then got back in and tried to resume the track.

I've got all 8 Opeth albums + Ghost Reveries Special Edition + Lamentations + 3 T-shirts! lol Everything that comes to Spain, ends up on my hands. :D
But for example, I'm also trying to get the first Porcupine Tree albums, and there's no way to find them on the shops (actually have got On the Sunday of Life, Signify, Stupid Dream, In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet). It seems that they aren't all that "best-sellers", are they?