Saw DIO in concert last night!!

desert_demon

Wise in the ways of metal
Nov 10, 2002
Mexico
Visit site
You can't get any more "old school" than DIO and seeing him was a dream come true for me. I saw him in Hermosillo, Mexico (a 3 hour bus drive from the city where I live). He's making a Mexican mini-tour before heading off to Europe.
What was cool was that beside the usual classic songs (Holy Diver, Rainbow in the Dark, etc.) he played some more obscure tracks like I Speed at Night, All The Fools Sailed Away, Sunset Superman and I, this last one from the Dehumanizer album he did with Sabbath in the 90's.:worship:

Doug Aldrich, I think... at least he was with Dio last year (and played the dullest guitar solo I've ever heard btw) but I don't know if he's touring with Whitesnake now?

Glad you had a good time! DIO is awesome, period.

We all know what it is to travel to shows just to see your favs :) :headbang:

I'm jealous! Kick ass for you, though! :headbang: Man, a coupla those less than common tracks would have had me going big time -- especially I. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

tsorl said:
Doug Aldrich, I think... at least he was with Dio last year (and played the dullest guitar solo I've ever heard btw) but I don't know if he's touring with Whitesnake now?

Doug did get back with Whitesnake.
Craig Goldy is now in Dio´s guitar.
Hope they come here soon.

Yeah they played here last Saturday, basically the same setlist and the best were of course: 'Holy Diver', 'Rainbow In The Dark', 'Man On The Silver Mountain', the Rainbow Medley ('Catch The Rainbow'/Long Live Rock'N'Roll), 'I', 'Heaven And Hell', 'We Rock' and the encore 'Last In Line'.

As soon as I got the pics developed I will post them here.

How was Dio's voice? The concert here was astounding, he has at 64 the same energy of 30 years ago, but by Monday he was with sore throat and some sickness (so was three other members of the road crew) as the manager told me, so everybody was concern regarding the three dates in Mexico.

His voice sounded in top form. The entire show he belted out the vocals without holding anything back. You know the scream at the beggining of "Gypsy"? Well, he shook the house with that one. He may be getting on in years, but his stage presence hasn't suffered from it. Something that can't be said for other over 50 metal singers - *cough* Ozzy *cough*.

desert_demon said:
he played some more obscure tracks like I Speed at Night, All The Fools Sailed Away, Sunset Superman and I, this last one from the Dehumanizer album he did with Sabbath in the 90's.:worship:

AWESOME!! "Fools" and "Sunset" are two of my fav Dio tracks! Great to see him dusting the cobwebs off of these old gems! :kickass:

desert_demon said:
His voice sounded in top form. The entire show he belted out the vocals without holding anything back. You know the scream at the beggining of "Gypsy"? Well, he shook the house with that one. He may be getting on in years, but his stage presence hasn't suffered from it. Something that can't be said for other over 50 metal singers - *cough* Ozzy *cough*.

Astounding, good for him and for the Mexican fans.:headbang:

NP: Sabaton - 'Attero Dominatus'

desert_demon said:
...he played some more obscure tracks like I Speed at Night, All The Fools Sailed Away, Sunset Superman and I, this last one from the Dehumanizer album he did with Sabbath in the 90's.:worship:

Although my personal fave would be "Computer God", anything added from the classic DEHUMANIZER is a big bonus in my eyes. "I" is a step in the right direction.

And the fact that he is throwing in some Rainbow classics such as "Gates Of Babylon" and "Tarot Woman" really make a Dio show a top priority nowadays.

desert_demon said:

He played "Gypsy" ? Holy shit !! I have seen Ronnie four times and never heard that song. It is my second fave song by him. I am jealous.

Bryant

Bryant said:
He played "Gypsy" ? Holy shit !! I have seen Ronnie four times and never heard that song. It is my second fave song by him. I am jealous.

Bryant
I think the only time I've seen him do it was on the Last In Line Tour. Then again, that was so long ago I could be imagining things.

TheWhisper said:
I think the only time I've seen him do it was on the Last In Line Tour. Then again, that was so long ago I could be imagining things.

The first time I saw Dio (with Dokken opening) was "The Last in Line" tour. He didn't play it at the show I went to. I certainly couldn't name his setlist as it has been so many years back, but "Gypsy" was also my second fave Dio song back then as well, so I do remember him NOT doing that one. Seems strange though. Maybe Ronnie himself doesn't care for the song. I know he doesn't like "Rainbow in the Dark" very much.

Bryant