Saw Opeth/Lacuna Coil last night... mini-review (Porcupine Tree content)

skyshock1

Scorched earth triumphant
May 14, 2001
Southeastern US.
www.myspace.com
The show was just awesome. FWIW, this was Atlanta @ the masquerade....

Lacuna Coil really had their stuff together. Sounded really professional live. Somehow they reproduce that great production on their CDs pretty well. Started off with Swamped, and only went UP from there! Christina's voice held up amazingly. It was pretty cool seeing her and the band all headbanging in unison. Great stuff! Their dude singer has to go. He sang great live, but is just such a dork to look at. Kept doing this fucking chicken dance thing. I have no idea. :hotjump: :hotjump:

Opeth were just unbelievable. I think their live guitar tone kinda stank though. Couple Laney full stacks - GH100L, and that TTI thing? Mikael had the TTI and Peter had the GH100L. Mikael was using a NICE PRS and one of those BOSS GT-3 or GT-5 floor units. I think Peter was running straight save for a tremolo pedal for some parts. Setlist was ALL over the place. Pretty much equal songs from all albums except Orchid. They didn't play anything from Orchid. Not a big deal. The crowd chanted Demon over and over while they were waiting for Opeth to come back out for the encore. Man, when they closed with the obligatory Demon of the Fall, it was nuts. I thought the sound of Mikael's voice on that track from the MAYH album was insane.... WOOOOO GEEZ! HELLO!!! I've NEVER heard a sound come out of a human being like that in my life! I think he was purposely trying to sound as brutal as possible for that song, and GOD did he ever! Just about melted everyone's face clean off! SILENT DANCE WITH DEATH!!!!!!! I'm still shaking.... o_O :OMG: o_O

My usual beef with Opeth is that they don't improvise much during their shows, and it sounds kinda scripted. I guess I can kind of understand given the complex nature of the music, but last night Mikael and Peter threw in quite a bit of improvisation on the solos, and still hit the important parts. VERY cool. :cool: :cool: :cool:

They didn't do anything from Damnation, but rather said they'd be back stateside in July with Porcupine Tree to do a bunch of the Damnation stuff. So I guess they'll be playing the whole album maybe? I can't wait.

Anyone else see this show? Pictures? Video? Audio bootleg?

If someone had a video bootleg of Lacuna Coil or Opeth's performance I would die to see it.

The first two bands were ok, didn't amaze me, but I enjoyed em(I thought Yakuza was ok, didn't think it was terrible like...everyone else in the audience.)

Lacuna Coil floored me. I knew a bit about then, but never got around to listening to their stuff. After about the 3rd song or so, they just totally amazed me. Seeing Cristinia headbang was an added bonus. :D

Opeth was perfect IMO. Lived up to every expectation I had about them. And yes, Demon of the Fall was the highlight. It isn't my favorite Opeth song by far, but they just made it unbelievable. The first growls were awesome. Then the part after the first verse and the guitar part, where he screams, OMG SO amazing. The crowd went insane when he did that. Then the "Run away, run away", I had chills going down me when he sung that. Just, perfect.

Pieless said:
The first two bands were ok, didn't amaze me, but I enjoyed em(I thought Yakuza was ok, didn't think it was terrible like...everyone else in the audience.)

Lacuna Coil floored me. I knew a bit about then, but never got around to listening to their stuff. After about the 3rd song or so, they just totally amazed me. Seeing Cristinia headbang was an added bonus. :D

Where were you Pieboy? I keep my eyes out but no luck. Anyways I talked to a couple people who absolutley hated the idea of a saxaphone in a metal band (Yakuza). I for one am glad I got to see a man thrash with a sax....something everyone should see. :lol:

Opeth were so goddamned good. Mike was a LOT more lively than the bootlegs Ive watched, they were all into it so hard. The best part was Mike saying something to the extent of "we'll see you back here on the Damnation tour" :D :headbang:

skyshock1 said:
The show was just awesome. FWIW, this was Atlanta @ the masquerade....

Lacuna Coil really had their stuff together. Sounded really professional live. Somehow they reproduce that great production on their CDs pretty well. Started off with Swamped, and only went UP from there! Christina's voice held up amazingly. It was pretty cool seeing her and the band all headbanging in unison. Great stuff! Their dude singer has to go. He sang great live, but is just such a dork to look at. Kept doing this fucking chicken dance thing. I have no idea. :hotjump: :hotjump:

Opeth were just unbelievable. I think their live guitar tone kinda stank though. Couple Laney full stacks - GH100L, and that TTI thing? Mikael had the TTI and Peter had the GH100L. Mikael was using a NICE PRS and one of those BOSS GT-3 or GT-5 floor units. I think Peter was running straight save for a tremolo pedal for some parts. Setlist was ALL over the place. Pretty much equal songs from all albums except Orchid. They didn't play anything from Orchid. Not a big deal. The crowd chanted Demon over and over while they were waiting for Opeth to come back out for the encore. Man, when they closed with the obligatory Demon of the Fall, it was nuts. I thought the sound of Mikael's voice on that track from the MAYH album was insane.... WOOOOO GEEZ! HELLO!!! I've NEVER heard a sound come out of a human being like that in my life! I think he was purposely trying to sound as brutal as possible for that song, and GOD did he ever! Just about melted everyone's face clean off! SILENT DANCE WITH DEATH!!!!!!! I'm still shaking.... o_O !:OMG: o_O

My usual beef with Opeth is that they don't improvise much during their shows, and it sounds kinda scripted. I guess I can kind of understand given the complex nature of the music, but last night Mikael and Peter threw in quite a bit of improvisation on the solos, and still hit the important parts. VERY cool. :cool: :cool: :cool:

They didn't do anything from Damnation, but rather said they'd be back stateside in July with Porcupine Tree to do a bunch of the Damnation stuff. So I guess they'll be playing the whole album maybe? I can't wait.

Anyone else see this show? Pictures? Video? Audio bootleg?

Hey Andi from Lacuna Coil is a great singer! I'm getting tired of this bashing of Andi because everyone is so in love with Christina but Andi is an Excellent Singer and is far from being a dork! I'm a fan of both singers and Andi's singing has improved and gotten better on Comalies! Go listen to Comalies and stop ragging on the male vocals! I know a lot of bands would kill to have a singer like him and he can scream like a mother fucker!

blakmetalemp said:
Where were you Pieboy? I keep my eyes out but no luck.
I looked before the gates opened at around 6:30-7:00 and couldn't find ya. I was on the far left almost the entire time(During the first two I was moreso towards the front, Lacuna Coil I couldn't get quite as close. During Opeth they started to mosh, so I went to the left wall, suprisingly enough I could see much better from there anyway.

This is great to hear, beisdes the now imminent PT pairing, I'm seeing Lacuna Coil in two weeks and the reviews have been encouraging...and I've also heard that Into Eternity is awesome live and is playing new songs from an album that supposedly crushes Dead Or Dreaming...

The show was fucking awesome... lacuna coil man... SO MUCH ENERGY...and I thought Andi from lacuna fucking rocked... Tightrope was AMAZING... I really enjoyed Lilitu.. they'll be big some day... Yakuza sucked my balls... I'm sorry... they were all just layers of noise on top of each other that had no speck of intelligence whats so ever. Opeth was a live changing experience... all that power right in front of you... all the way from Sweden.. amazing... but Lacuna was a highlight just because I liked them... but I wasn't expecting them to RULE THAT MUCH! Still no one beats Opeth... good lord... amazing!

Grindbastard said:
Hey Andi from Lacuna Coil is a great singer! I'm getting tired of this bashing of Andi because everyone is so in love with Christina but Andi is an Excellent Singer and is far from being a dork! I'm a fan of both singers and Andi's singing has improved and gotten better on Comalies! Go listen to Comalies and stop ragging on the male vocals! I know a lot of bands would kill to have a singer like him and he can scream like a mother fucker!

That guy doesn't utilize the fact he has another beautiful female voice to harmonize with. He should take a clue from Mikeal Akerfeldt and learn how to scream and sing.

Thanks Demonspell. Those PT review are very enjoyable... have I mentioned how much I want to see this band again? :)

NP: Rush - "Scars"

Yeah it sounds like the playlist from when they were in the States in the winter. I saw them in Pittsburgh and I'm guessing they began with Leper Affinity and ended with Fair Judgement before coming out for the encore right?

I think Advent, Deliverance, Bleak, Credence, and Godhead's Lament are mixed in there but I'm not sure which order....

Towelie said:
The show was fucking awesome... lacuna coil man... SO MUCH ENERGY...and I thought Andi from lacuna fucking rocked... Tightrope was AMAZING... I really enjoyed Lilitu.. they'll be big some day... Yakuza sucked my balls... I'm sorry... they were all just layers of noise on top of each other that had no speck of intelligence whats so ever. Opeth was a live changing experience... all that power right in front of you... all the way from Sweden.. amazing... but Lacuna was a highlight just because I liked them... but I wasn't expecting them to RULE THAT MUCH! Still no one beats Opeth... good lord... amazing!

Atlanta show - Yeah, I have to agree on this totally. Lilitu were really good, bass player needs to be more lively, drummer totally kicks ass, vocalist/guitarist was good (vocal sound could have been better)

Yakuza were a downer.

Christina was right in my face, I was first row. Lacuna Coil was tight. I got a drum stick and set list of theirs.

Opeth kicked ass, nothing more to say on that. Both Lacuna Coil and Opeth really seemed to enjoy themselves.

Winston-Salem Show - Yes two shows in three days. It was awesome.

Beyond The Embrace are really tight musically, excellent musicians, but vocals are a little nu-metal sounding.

I liked the Sound of Lacuna Coil better at W-S, but crowd enjoyed them more in Atlanta.

Opeth kicked ass once again. There was crowd surfing and moshing in W-S, but none in Atlanta. Yet, I still feel the crowd was better in Atlanta. Sound was better and louder in W-S.

blakmetalemp said:
Where were you Pieboy? I keep my eyes out but no luck. Anyways I talked to a couple people who absolutley hated the idea of a saxaphone in a metal band (Yakuza). I for one am glad I got to see a man thrash with a sax....something everyone should see. :lol:

I have NOTHING against bringing a sax into metal. Hell Amorphis pulled it off REAL well. One of my favorite bands of all time is Jethro Tull and they have a flute as the lead melody instrument. They totally rule.

Yakuza on the other hand, their music was just plain awful. Sax or no sax, they were just horrible. Their dumbassity had nothing to do with the saxophone IMO.

And their guitarist bad mouthing the crowd?!?!? What a Durst!

Grindbastard said:

Yeah, he's really not all that bad. I think most people just wanna compare him to Christina, and that's pretty unfair.

I still think he looked like a dork on stage. What the hell kinda dance was that he was doing the whole time? Great voice though. Can't take that from him.