Saw You Drown

the_joy_of_grief

weak light
Jan 23, 2002
Paramaribo
www.escapetheday.tk
Hello there! Some time ago I noticed that a copy of the Saw You Drown EP sold for $81 on ebay. Now there's another one for sale with the highest bid being $105 (!!!) so far.

Why is it that people pay so much money for this particular EP? I mean, I've seen the Ihva Elohim Meth CD on ebay and both IEM and FFTC on vinyl - and the price was always *a lot* lower, even though these should be more limited than SYD. I understand that this EP is a nice collector's item but I could never figure out why apparently there is more demand for SYD than for anything else, especially because two tracks are on the regular album anyway and "Quiet World" can be downloaded here.

Food for thought :confused:

By the way, does anybody know what the vinyl version of "For Funerals To Come" is limited to? Thanx.

i thought Saw you drown was the rarest item from Katatonia, printed in only 500 exemplars

i am probably totally wrong, as usual :confused:

go to the main site and see:

Limited to 1,500 copies

Recorded and mixed at Sunlight Studios July/August 1997
Engineered by Fred Estby and Tomas Skogsberg
Produced by Katatonia

"Scarlet heavens" from previously released limited EP

Line up:
Jonas Renkse - drums/guitars/lead vocals
Anders Nystrom - guitars/keyboards/backing vocals
Fred Norrman - guitars
Micke Oretoft - bass

there you go, theres only 1,500 copies, and the first EP has more than that me thinks.

yes that's right, Saw You Drown ep was limited to 1,500 copies and ALL handnumbered.
The For Funerals To Come pic Disc was limited to the same amount.
Jhva Elohim Meth... The Revival ep was never limited, but is now sold out...
The Scarlet Heavens split maxi vinyl was limited to 777 copies.

Originally posted by Anders Nyström
yes that's right, Saw You Drown ep was limited to 1,500 copies and ALL handnumbered.
The For Funerals To Come pic Disc was limited to the same amount.
Jhva Elohim Meth... The Revival ep was never limited, but is now sold out...
The Scarlet Heavens split maxi vinyl was limited to 777 copies.
Anders, who decide the number of copies that must have an EP, or a maxi single, or the rare stuff that you said up there?. The company?? You guys in the group??
:confused:

that is totally indvidual and varies from any artists to labels...
but on our end, we've been consulating our label for an appropriate number of copies on all limited releases.

well this is unfortunate 'cuz the handnumbered sticker was placed on the actual plastic the cd's were wrapped in
and most shops take 'em off before placing them in the bins... so a cd with the sticker still on it is really really rare.

Originally posted by Anders Nyström
well this is unfortunate 'cuz the handnumbered sticker was placed on the actual plastic the cd's were wrapped in
and most shops take 'em off before placing them in the bins... so a cd with the sticker still on it is really really rare.

Ah, very rare indeed, but I happened to buy 5 copies when it first came out (all hand numbered still on it) and gave 4 to friends, and bought another this summer in Italy (which was #420) and gave it to my roommate.. hah, there is hope for all of you yet.. keep looking.. and if you come across more than one, save one for Anders himself.. hehe..

Originally posted by aegis
i thought Saw you drown was the rarest item from Katatonia, printed in only 500 exemplars

i am probably totally wrong, as usual :confused:

Well, just to know why you never answer my mails ?
I'm still waiting for your CDs...

I have Saw you drown ep with a sticker on it, I bought it as soon as it was released. I also have split vinyl with Primordial (limited to 777 copies) and of course all the other Katatonia releases!:p

Well, i don't have saw you drown but i have the split vinyl KATATONIA/PRIMORDIAL + the first pressing of KATATONIA for funerals to come with differents colors. It is limited too..:p

And the diabolical masquerade nightwork vinyl limited too...:p

But i would kill for saw you drown !!!! :(

I want it...................................

Thanks for the information, Anders! It's good to have some reliable facts because there are people who actually claim that the Primordial-Split EP was limited to 200 or 300 copies. The only drawback is that now I know that what I got on my wall is not as rare as I thought it was. :s

SCARLET HEAVENS!!! :headbang:

Originally posted by Blakkheim
yeah, that's correct the blue vinyl was limited to 500 copies.
the cd version was never limited but is sold out.
it was pressed between 5000 - 10.000 copies.

cool, thanks. Luckily because of your website I was able to get a hold of one of those 500:headbang: ....by the way, thanks for all the wonderful music.

sounds of decay was not limited, but is sold out.
however some last copies are in circulation now because of leftovers found at the pressing plant.
teargas ep and tonight's music are limited for a period of time and not as a pressing number,
so it depends to see whether they turn to be collector's items or not.

Found this thread through a search looking for some info on "Scarlet Heavens", cause I want to know who did the vocals on that song? It sounds a lot like Dan Swano and I'm actually pretty sure it's him, but it says nowhere in the CD booklet, nor on the Deadsite (I really think I should be able to find info like this on the Deadsite...), so anyone knows??

By the way, I have a copy of the Saw You Drown EP with the sticker still on it, my number is #286. The case was damaged a little in the mail and I actually thought of replacing it, thus throwing the sticker away, glad I never did that!