Saxon in the UK

bert

Oct 25, 2002
Yorkshire
Visit site
Having seen Saxon on their last jaunt here in Bradford and Bolton I don't think there is enough interest in the provinces to justify playing such gigs. I know in Bradford there was some confusion as to which Saxon were playing as the O/D abomination had supported Graham Bonnet (or someone) at the same venue shortly before. I suggest getting yourselves over to Germany. I saw the boys in Nuremburg and Osnabruck last year and the crowds over there were really up for it. They greeted new tracks as well as the oldies whereas,if you are honest, Brit crowds just wait for 747,Dallas,Wheels etc before participating. I'm sad to say it but there doesn't appear to be a viable market in UK anymore. Can you believe no promoter tried to get RUSH to play here! I've also just found out the Monsters of Rock at Sheffield will be played using the half-arena stage. SCANDALOUS!

If I can lend anybody a hand, please let me know...

I'll definitely go to the two shows in Southern Germany (Munich, Nuremberg), maybe Pratteln as well...

I wonder why they skipped Stuttgart this time...the last two shows in Stuttgart (LKA Longhorn) in 1999 and 2001 were among the best shows on the Metalhead and Killing Ground tours...Both shows were some 2 1/2 hours long and the crowds went crazy on both occasions back then..

Anyway, if any of you UK pals thinks about any of the three shows I mentioned, I'm more than willing to help you out here in any way I can...

Greetings from Munich, Germany

Karsten

Cheers Karston I'll bear that in mind. I would certainly like to see a Saxon show in Germany. Me and Sammi have been thinking about having a long weekend in Brussel's in January, catching the show there on the saturday and then come back to London on the sunday and catch the Astoria show. Now what a weekend that would be! Anyone with any idea's on where to stay in Brussel's, B&B's etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I've only been to Bruxelles ones...Followed the Black Crowes on their European tour in 1998 when I saw 11 out of 12 shows they did over here (only skipped Madrid...just too far for a single show)

Sorry, I cannot help you when it comes to Bruxelles and lodging..I slept in Cologne back then at a friends place ...

Greetings,

Karsten

I THINK SAXON HAVE HAD A ROUGH TIME OVER HERE.YOU SEE MOST SAXON FANS WOULD BE ABOUT MY AGE 31.SO IF YOU ARE LIKE ME. THRASH TOOK SOME OF THE STING AWAY THEN THE ALBUM WHICH HAD THAT SONG ON IT AND WAS FRANKLY A BAG OF SHIT. ALSO THE RAVE SCENE HAPPENED (E). THEN BAGGY WHICH WAS GOOD SPLIFF MUSIC. THEN GRUNGE WHICH PRETTY MUCH OLD SCHOOL METAL.IT WASSTRANGE ALL THESE TWATS GOING ROUND SAYING OLD METAL WAS SHIT BUT THE ONLY PLACE THEY COULD GET ACCEPTED WAS METAL BARS. NO WONDER I GAVE UP ON METAL STOE TEMPLE PIOLETS, PERL JAM AND THE LIKE HAS BEEN STADIUM ROCK. SO THER E I FEEL BETTER NOW I HAVE YHAT OFF MY CHEST. SORRY

I think that the main reason that the UK shows are so quiet is down to the fact they they are so piss poorly advertised.
When on earth are the record company/Management going to get off there fat arses and advertise a UK tour/Show. The only place you can find out about the January Gig is on this site and I don't think just that is going to fill the place is it.

On the Killing Ground Tour Part 1 I saw Saxon at Cardiff and due to local advertising and also the storming gig there last year it was well attended, but surely Saxon deserve so much more in the home country. Were just bloody lucky that the band enjoy playing here.

It is down to the promoters to advertise shows, not the management or record labels.

The record label will obviously advertise the tour dates where the new CD is advertised.

We put on Bloodstock, and I can 100% confirm that we had to do all the leg-work ourselves, the actual help we get is from the various band members themselves and this is obviously limited within their capacity. Very limited help from labels, management, agents etc!

Shows are put on by promoters, they run the risk of trying to get punters to them, and it is at their cost to advertise them, hence Cardiff doing well and other gigs not - different promoter. This is why loads of bands do not come to the UK - too risky for 'em. Take a look at the Alice Cooper tour (note this is what I call it - not MOR), to keep the costs down - look at the line-up, bands on then off then on then off!

Many tours get cancelled for financial reasons - nearly all the time it is poor ticket sales, but this is due to a lack of advertising which is due to the promoter not having a big enough budget due to not wanting to have too great a risk. Having said that why the JP show at Brixton was only half full as it was clearly advertised and promoted a good clear 6 months in advance! So it seems there is no clear cut formula.

I remember talking to a person who angrily missed Bloodstock01 - I asked - are you on the internet (no), do you buy rock magazines (no), do you go out with rock mates and discuss what is on out there (no), do you listen to rock radio (no), do you look at teletext gig listings on tv (no), and they still moaned they did not get to hear of it!

Nuff said!

I understand what you're saying but there are still are some loyal Saxon fans here in the UK-the Last few Londoon gigs have been packed out and the new stuff went down very well i thought.

But yeah i went to Graspop this year in Belgium and its another world over there.

Cheers Karsten for the reply and the offer for help in Germany. I will keep that in mind. But it looks like that the Saturday date in Brussels is easier for us to get there. As for Paxoman and Sammi if you are going, keep in touch, we could meet up. We are going to fly from east midlands.

WELL, AS THINGS GO HERE IN THE STATES, YOU CAN'T EVEN GET TO SEE A BAND LIKE SAXON UNLESS YOU TRAVEL 100'S OF MILES(KILOMETERS X 2). AND EVEN THEN MOST OF THE SHOWS ARE ONLY LOCALY ADVERTISED. YOU HAVE A WEALTH OF GREAT METAL TO GET OUT AND SEE WHILE I'M STUCK WITH KORNHOLE, LIMPWRISTBIZCUT, AND OTHER SHITTY ACTS THAT I DON'T CARE ONE SHIT ABOUT. SAXON WAS LOOKING AT DOING A GAS STOP HERE IN ERIE ABOUT 2 YEARS BACK WHILE TOURING WITH UDO. THE BOOKING GUY AT THE BAR BLEW THE CHANCE TO GET THEM BECAUSE HE FUDGED AROUND WITH IT. AND THEN I DIDN'T GET TO SEE THE SHOW AS THEY WENT TO CLEAVELAND AND THAT'S A 2 1/2 HOUR TRIP FOR ME AND I HAD TO BE AT WORK THE NEXT MORNING AT 4 AM. WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS , GET TO THE SHOWS OUT THERE, MAKE SURE YOUR FREINDS KNOW ABOUT THEM, PRINT UP YOUR OWN FLIERS IF YOU MUST. IF ATTENDANCE STARTS TO PICK UP THEN MAYBE THESE PROMOTORS WITH THE FAT WALLETS WILL DROP SOME $ INTO ADVERTISING SO MORE PEOPLE GET TO KNOW ABOUT IT. THEN THERE'LL BE BETTER ATTENDANCE, AND IT WILL JUST SNOWBALL. I'D LOVE TO CATCH SAXON HERE IN THE STATES, BUT I'M AT THE MERCY OF THE PROMOTORS, ECONOMY , AND THAT GODFORSAKEN MTV( WHOM I SAY CAN OFFICIALLY KISS MY ASS) THAT WON'T EVEN GO NEAR ANYTHING REMOTELY METAL ANYMORE. I LOVE METAL, I PLAY METAL IN A BAND HERE, AND I WOULD LOVE NOTHING BETTER THEN TO SEE THINGS GET BACK TO HOW THEY WERE IN THE MID 80'STO EARLY 90'S, BUT THAT WON'T HAPPEN WITHOUT PEOPLE AT THE SHOWS. GET OUT AND SEE THEM WHILE YOU CAN, OTHERWISE YOU MIGHT NEVER GET TO SEE THEM CLOSE TO HOME AGAIN.

Hi Steeltempest...

saw Kiss two years ago in your city (Civic Center)....Support was Ted Nugent and Skid Row (without Sebastian Bach, unfortunately).Drove up from New York just for this show..I was abroad on a concert trip, saw 9 of the 10 Springsteen shows @MSG , three Black Crowes/Jimmy page shows and two festival shows with Poison,Cinderella, Dokken and Slaughter...and this Kiss show in your twon...

I even taped all three acts (Nugent,Skid Row and Kiss) on DAT....

Well, there is some good shows in Erie even if Saxon doesn't come your way ...:)

Best from Munich, Germany

Karsten

Saxonmckenz,I usually stay in the IBIS hotels.They are all over the place.(Same chain as Novotel I believe but a lot cheaper).They are reasonably priced and the grub is good. I suggest Nuremburg,Munich or Neu-Isenburg rather than Osnabruck. Osnabruck was full of squaddies treating the locals like shit. I shalln't be going there again. You can get by without any German but if you know a little they always appreciate you trying. The locals at the gigs were great. One guy introduced us to his mates and they were quite impressed we had travelled to their City for the gig and were shouting 'You are metal!' Which I think was a compliment. Great gig,great beer,give it a try!

KARSTEN, I WENT TO THE SAME CONCERT, BUT ONLY FOR TED NUGENT. HE DID HIS USUAL BANG UP SHOW, AND THAT IS JUST WHAT I EXPECTED. SKID ROW DID NOT SOUND RIGHT WITH THEIR NEW SINGER. KISS WAS A DISSAPOINTMENT, SEEMS THEIR ONLY INTERESTED IN MILKING THE CASH COW. I DID SEE SAXON ONE TIME IN ENGLAND WHILE IN THE SERVICE, AND IT STILL REMAINS ONEOF THE BEST CONCERT EXPERIENCES I'VE EVER HAD. I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO GET BACK TO EUROPE ANDSEE A BUNCH OF FESTIVALS, SEE THAT'S WHERE YOU FOLKS ARE LUCKY, TRAVELING FROM ONE NATION TO THE NEXT IS ALMOST LIKE ME GOING TO OHIO, OR NEW YORK FOR A SHOW( I KNOW THERE IS SOME WORK WITH PASS PORTS AND BORDERS AND SUCH THAT CAN GET A BIT TEDIOUS) BUT YOU'VE GOT SO MANY POPULATION CENTERS SO CLOSE TOGETHER THAT I WOULD THINK IT'S EASY TO GO ABROD IN EUROPE. ALSO WITH GOING TO THE EURO$, YOU DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM OF CURRENCY EXCHANGE. SO IN SOME WAYS I ENVY YOU FOLKS OVER THERE. OH BY THE WAY, MY BAND CONCRETE GARDEN OPENED FOR DIO AND MY DYING BRIDE IN MARCH OF 1996 HERE IN ERIE AT RAINBOW GARDENS, THAT WAS THE BEST CONCERT I'VE EVER BEEN AT, 'CAUSE I GOT TO PLAY ON THE SAME STAGE THAT NIGHT WITH RONNIE DIO, WHO IS PROBABLY THE NICEST PERSON I'VE MET YET IN THE MUSIC BUISNESS.(AND I'VE MET QUITE A FEW GREAT PEOPLE, AND A FEW SHMUCKS. BUT I WON'T NAME NAMES ON THE SHMUCKS). ANYHOW THANKS FOR THE REPLY, I LOVE HEARING FROM FOLKS WHO LIVE ON DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE GLOBE. IT'S REFRESHING , AND IT ALSO BRINGS HOW SMALL A WORLD IT REALLY IS, ESPECIALLY COMMING TO ERIE FROM NEW YOUK WHILE VISITING FROM GERMANY, WOW!. LATER, ROB.