Saxon Returns!

Did you fall in the bath in the early hours Pax? :lol:

Nah I managed to avoid that one this time mate! :lol:

I did have to complain to reception though that the people in the room opposite were making a lot of noise. I think the occupants just happened to be the channel 4 film crew! But they were playing some shitty music, and not Saxon or any other metal, so that wasn't on! I told reception that it was 4am and it wasn't on. I didn't tell them that we had literally just walked through the door ourselves! :lol:

Was Harvey Goldsmiths comment of "Saxon for Donington" wishfull thinking or is it gonna happen? Maybe some of you who talked with the band/manager can shed some light on this ?

Was Harvey Goldsmiths comment of "Saxon for Donington" wishfull thinking or is it gonna happen? Maybe some of you who talked with the band/manager can shed some light on this ?

A few of us spoke to Harvey Goldsmith after the show, I asked about Donington but he wouldn't elaborate and to be fair he probably couldn't (contractually maybe????).

P.S. I hope that chat doesn't make the documentary :lol: as it was a guinness fueled discussion :kickass:

First of all a big hello and great to meet you for the first time or again in some cases to the following in no particular order (Apologies if I miss anyone) :worship:

Paxoman
Sammi
Lionheart
Goss
Wilks
Bec (and Paul???? )
Skinthrapper and Mrs Skinthrapper
SaxonMckenz and Cumbrian gimp boy (The name he gave himself :zombie: )
Midnightrider
Saxonized and Junior Saxonized ( So glad he enjoyed it mate :) )
Nibbs
Harvey Goldsmith

You were all GREAT company, the laughs :lol: will live long in the memory.

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed the show, people have mentioned the mix etc. but I'm not that technically minded. To me I base my enjoyment on as much the reaction and the :) 's on the peoples faces around me during the gig, and of course the reaction of the band. And in my opinion it was a great night with :) 's on the band and the crowds faces alike :headbang:

Yes people got on the stage, who cares in my opinion no harm was meant. It was refreshing to be at a gig with no barrier or a row of bouncers between you and the stage.

Some moments that stand out, Nigel spotting Pax and bellowing "Paxoman" as they took a bow. Biff sticking the mic in mine and Wilks face during Denim and Leather I was so gobsmacked I nearly forgot the words :lol: . And finally everytime Biff said "what do you want to hear?" my standard response "Atilla the Hun" until he eventually responded "For gods sake man its 10 minutes long ! :lol: "

At the end of the day it was a great afternoon and evening, apologies to the boys I left behind in the Kasbah - My homing pigeon instinct kicked in, thank god I never tried to get a drink in the hotel I swear I would have fallen flat on my @rse walking in on the band etc. :lol:

Can't wait for the London and Berlin gigs. :headbang:

Sounds like a pretty good show! Glad you guys had a good time. 'Fraid I also notice the FOH mixes... I worked for a while as a sound engineer, so it kinda bugs me until I have a few bottles of Dog to calm the nerves.

I'll see any of you that can make it to the show at Wolves... I'll be the guy at the bar who looks like me.

Cheers!

This is to the assmaster. I APOLOGISE if i offended you during the gig but it was by no means intentional. Once again i say sorry for i blocked some of your view of the band.

However, i dont think that it gives you the right to call someone a twat and a prick who you have never met.

Plus if you don't like the painting on the jacket, that's your opinion. I'm sure that their is something that you own that someone could slag off, if not even yourself. The reason i was holding the jacket up was for my friend who painted it. She is not very well and if it got shown on TV it might cheer her up.

If you meet me and don't like me or i have wronged you in the past then their is a justice in your view.

And if i want to go on the stage + hang onto Biff like a little girl fan then surely it is upto me. Everyone is different and the last time i looked this was a free country. Yeh and i admit it i was a camera hore. If thats not you well done but during the night i was. Each to their own. Plus i do like looking behind me to see what the rest of the crowd is doing.

But maybe your a better man than me by the sounds of things.

Calm down, calm down man!!:cool:
I did try to avoid naming you, but since you've outed yourself, and most people knew I was talking about you, it's OK! It wasn't meant to be a nasty go at you, I think that quite possibly it's a touch of the Meldrew affecting me. It'll happen to you one day, you'll turn into a miserable old git too.

Glad you had a good time, it was perfectly obvious you enjoyed the show (and the odd sherbert beforehand). And if your on-stage time is the only other thing for me to bitch about (apart from the F.O.H. sound), that can't be a bad thing. It means the band triumphed again.

As for me being a better man than you..........weeeeell, without having a weiner measuring contest, we'll have to leave that as an open question.
No, in fact, you have a loooooong way to go before you can top my legendary antics after a couple of sherberts, you are a mere amateur. I have been a Grade A, Class 1 prick in my time, as many people often remind me, which is why I now no longer drink! Sometimes they tell me things I did 15 years ago that today are still news to me!

And as for hogging stages? Well, beat this : Birmingham, 1990 ish, Saxon finish set, assemble for final bow, Assmaster leaps onstage, relieves Mr Glockler of the sticks he is about to chuck out, and then takes the bow with the band! What a bell-end!
Now, go away and try harder, then, and only then, will you see the top of the mountain. See you on tour soon (though not too much of you please LOL) :)

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed the show, people have mentioned the mix etc. but I'm not that technically minded.

Only a truly talented band can shine through when they are being hampered by poor sound, and the fact Saxon were preaching to the converted (perverted?) was to their advantage too.
You really don't need to be technically minded to comment on the sound - if you have "normal" hearing, your opinion is no less valid than an acoustician's. Remedying the problems is more involved, but bands play to laymen, not rooms full of critical sound engineers. If the mix is wrong, it is wrong, and Friday night was more than just a niggle here and there, or the engineer only pushing a guitar half-way through a solo, he was waaaaaaay off-base!

The worst of it is that the FOH engineer actually has a very easy job. No, seriously, it is not rocket science, and you can't really "learn" it, it's a "feel" thing. The hard part is working out and positioning speakers, setting the room eq up, setting gates, compressors and reverb etc, positioning mics.
All that work does take a professional, but he has all afternoon to do it, and generally has a couple of bods helping him too, who are usually "apprentices" with some tech knowledge/experience.
By the time the band come on, the engineer is on the home straight, only in exceptional circumstances should he be fighting with the sound or making drastic adjustments.

I know I whinge on and on about things, but it's only because I love this band so much, I hate to see anything hinder them. Yes, I have a professional interest in the subject, but I'm not pitching for the job. I don't go to a gig to criticise the engineer, it's too much like "work" then. Only if he is really good (Priest's sound at the NEC blew me away), or really bad, do I fell the need to comment.

SACK HIM!!!!!!!

Hmmm, I'm inking the paper this week to buy a really tasty (and bloody expensive) line array system, perhaps I should pitch for the job??!!! Maybe one day.....!

We did also speak with Harvey after the gig - but I honestly can't remember what he said...I think he was probably pretty non-commital about it. You know what it's like, they play their cards close to their chest.

A few of us spoke to Harvey Goldsmith after the show, I asked about Donington but he wouldn't elaborate and to be fair he probably couldn't (contractually maybe????).

P.S. I hope that chat doesn't make the documentary :lol: as it was a guinness fueled discussion :kickass:

Ooops, I just answered this question before I saw your reply, Fingers - still, I'm glad it wasn't just me who couldn't remember what he said! lol

Thanks Fingers & Sammi for answering my question (as much as you're able to)

Its gonna be interesting to see how Donington shapes up this year what with rumours of Maiden doing their own show days before Download fest & that it appears the Monsters of Rock Milton Keynes wont happen this year.
Who knows, maybe a day of classic rock at Donington again? Certainly hope so.

Cumbrian gimp boy (The name he gave himself :zombie: )

I was also talking to him for a while - If my memory serves me correctly, I think his name was Peter :)

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed the show, people have mentioned the mix etc. but I'm not that technically minded. To me I base my enjoyment on as much the reaction and the :) 's on the peoples faces around me during the gig, and of course the reaction of the band. And in my opinion it was a great night with :) 's on the band and the crowds faces alike :headbang:

Couldn't have put it better myself, Fingers! :worship:

Yes people got on the stage, who cares in my opinion no harm was meant. It was refreshing to be at a gig with no barrier or a row of bouncers between you and the stage.

I hear what you're saying - but, personally, I don't like it when fans get on the stage, I've paid to see the band. As there were no barriers when they played at Manchester, this happened A LOT, as I'm sure Paxoman and Timothy Sykes will testify, and it really got on my wick after a while! But I would much rather suffer a few 'head the balls' jumping on the stage than have barriers up, anyday :) It didn't bother me, as such, at Sheffield, because it didn't become a major problem.

Thanks to you, Wilks, Paxoman and Midnightrider (who I think was standing behind me, and therefore stopped me getting pushed about) for looking out for me - it's nice to know there are still some gentlemen around! :) I do, of course, realise that if I will insist on standing at the front (as I do! lol), then I am likely to get jostled, and I'm prepared for that to happen - but it's really nice when the people around you do give you some consideration - it isn't always the case!

Been great reading through all this stuff, glad you guys had such a great time! Gutted i couldnt make it !

:cry: