Say it isnt so....new GnR album release

That was a good read. It is nice to hear Axl's own perspective, but it doesn't make him any less of a tosser nor does it make the album any less a spectacular belly-flop. I liked this reply the best (and, for Blabbermouth, there was a surprisingly high degree of coherent and intelligent comments about this article):

"Obviously, these stories are getting a LOT of "I told you so's." And, yeah, I know, yer all going to be writing "Why are all of these haters spending so much energy bashing Axl so much on Blab?" "Chi-Dem is still selling much more than most hard rock/metal albums, so what's the matter w/these sales figures?"

Well, here is some perspective:

We've been talking about Chi-Dem for YEARS on Blab, for pretty much this whole decade. And, certain Axl fanboys (I won't name names here, but you can prolly guess some of them!) have been:

1). Constantly claiming that the album was about to come out (of course, they finally got that one right--kinda like people who constantly claim the end of the world is nigh... say it long enough and it will eventually come true). I mean, seriously, you can find Blab threads from 2002 where the fanboys are talking about how Chi-Dem is going to come out any day now.

2). Claiming that the album will be a massive hit, will go straight to #1, will sell untold millions, yadda, yadda, yadda.

3). Claiming that it will be the best album of all time.

4). Claiming that it will "destroy" rap music, "cookie monster," and nu-metal (that's how long this has been going on: nu-metal was still actually popular back then). Witness the irony: not only does the album get bested by a rap album, but it ends up having quite a number of hip-hop and nu-metal elements!

5). Posting on threads about other bands, saying how much they suck and how much Axl rules, and how Chi-Dem is going to destroy the careers of other bands when it comes out. This, by the way, has made Chi-Dem impossible to ignore, even for people who never cared about it in the first place. (again, notice the irony, considering that the album is being massively outsold by AC/DC and Metallica)

6). Claiming that every non-fanboy is "scared" of the massive impact that Chi-Dem will supposedly have.

Anyway, with that perspective, I think you can understand why the fansboys are in for a LOT of razzing. For at least the next few weeks, whenever a story like this comes out, we are going to be out there reminding the fanboys of how wrong they turned out to be. A few weeks of this shouldn't be too much, after having to hear about Chi-Dem on blab for the past 8 years.

After that, Chi-Dem will probably be off the charts completely many of us will forget about it.

Paybacks a bitch, innit???"

Have you heard the album yet Bri-Bri? I'll be very interested in reading your thoughts on it.

I love it. I hadn't read anything about it when I bought the album except for Lazer's review which I took with a grain of salt - in fact, I said in this very thread that I was afraid to listen to it - so I like to think that my opinion is an honest one. :)

With the exception of Catcher in the Rye, which I still don't care for, I'd say it's a perfect album.

I'll hear it one day. I have about 86 others to listen to first. I'm not sure I could listen to it right now without my opinion being tainted to some degree. Then again, I expected In This Moment's album to be a turkey and was rather nicely surprised so who knows? Whatever I think of it won't change my thoughts about Rose being a whiny, bitchy sook though. And he can't keep telling everyone that every delay, every lawsuit, every little problem that happens in his life is someone else's fault. I read through that entire thread and nowhere does he ever admit he might have been in the wrong about anything. That simply isn't possible. At his age, he should start taking some of the responsibility.

nowhere does he ever admit he might have been in the wrong about anything. That simply isn't possible. At his age, he should start taking some of the responsibility.
I think he makes some of these confessions and apologies with the album itself. Axl seems to be saying a lot about himself with some of the songs on the album, and he think that is more what he is about, letting his music speak for him.

Not justifying his dickheadness, just an observation.

:lol: It's a pretty good rock album, that's for sure. But it isn't a groundbreaking or watershed album either, and considering the musicians that play on it, no one really shines except Axl. It takes a few listens to get into, too. And I get the feeling it's not going to be one of those "classic" albums that you pull out and listen to once ever now and then either. I've listened to it a bit now, and it's just like the overdramatic bits of UYI, with tape-loops, hip-hop beats, nu-metal parts and industrial stuff added to it.

Yeah, I don't think it's groundbreaking or classic, just awesome.

That said, I haven't listened to it for a few weeks - listened to it far too much when it came out. :)

It is a cool album. I bought it for my brother on vinyl. Strangely there were no lyrics enclosed, which is a shame, because the lyrics are really good.