Say what you want about the music

Aug 14, 2008
But I hold that Metallica has ALWAYS been a class act to its fans. They could be charging 200 dollar tickets to shows, but of the 3 times I saw them, I never paid more than 60 bucks. They apparently do really good meet and greets, small club shows (like the recent string of club shows for the 30th anniversary), etc.

But this is really icing on the cake. Backstory is a bunch of kids decided to cover Enter Sandman, video went viral. Metallica's response:

Last edited by a moderator:
Metallica were immensely cool to their fans, up through 1994 or so. They would deliberately schedule a time after their backstage obligations were over to go outside and talk to all the fans who were still waiting patiently, outside the fences, 90 minutes, maybe two hours after the show was over. I saw it with my own eyes backstage on several occasions: Ian Jeffery or Tony Smith would come over to them and say "okay, guys, it's time to go outside," and out they'd go, to sign autographs and hang out for a while. Their fan-club was great back then and they reallllly cared about their fans.

Later, that practice declined.

So did Metallica.

Metallica were immensely cool to their fans, up through 1994 or so. They would deliberately schedule a time after their backstage obligations were over to go outside and talk to all the fans who were still waiting patiently, outside the fences, 90 minutes, maybe two hours after the show was over. I saw it with my own eyes backstage on several occasions: Ian Jeffery or Tony Smith would come over to them and say "okay, guys, it's time to go outside," and out they'd go, to sign autographs and hang out for a while. Their fan-club was great back then and they reallllly cared about their fans.

Later, that practice declined.

So did Metallica.

Riveting tale chap. I guess you expect them to go door to door playing private shows for everyone, 2 hour meet and greet, and private auto sesh or otherwise they don't care about their fans. lol.