Best set/thoughts about them for Saturday night??? What do you say?

Squeak

Photo Mistress
As I said in the other thread, I had to resort to listening to most all of the sets the last three days via my buddy John calling me on his cellphone so I could listen. So, I cannot judge the sets by what they looked like, only by what they sounded like.

I can honestly say that Stride kicked my ASS and damned was I floored by them. I had only heard a couple of songs of theirs on Seismic quite a few months ago (which I did like), but that's all I knew of them. They are quite the complex, incredible musicians. I particularly liked the Beethoven-groove song (sorry, I don't know the names). The funniest part was when the guy said "I think we might be the only American band on the festival", LOL!!!! My hats off to those boys.

Symphorce... WOW. They were SO FRIGGIN HEAVY LIVE!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOT that was awesome. I really, really love the new cd and was happy to hear them play those as well as a bunch of "oldies" and everything in between. The funniest part was when Andy said "For the next 45 minutes, your asses are MINE" or something really close!to that. Friggin hillarious. I could tell that they had a mucho amount of energy... it's quite impressive when a band can relay that kind of energy to the crowd, even to one who can't see them! Loved it.

Pink Cream 69... shit, what can I say. I have been a huge fan of this band since 1989 and got to see them in Germany in 1989 as well, so you can be sure I was looking forward to this set! Wasn't until this band that I even thought about trying to write the setlists down (DOH), but I was VERY happy with the fact that David and the guys still do the old stuff that Andi sang on as well as a bit of almost all the other albums. Seemed like they favor Sonic Dynamite too. hehe They played: Thunderdome, Do You Like It Like That, Hell's Gone Crazy, Lost In Illusions (AWESOM live!), Carnaby Road, (I forgot to write # 6 down), The Spirit (damn I love this groove), Seas of Madness (my 2nd favourite song of theirs!!! WOOT), (I forgot to write #9 down), Shame (okay, another tie for 2nd fave song) and Keep Your Eye on the Twisted. Damned, that set was cool. And mucho MUCHO kudos for Dennis Ward for battling his illness and still coming out to play the gig. :worship: How many band members do you know that would do something like that? Not many.

Then Stratovarius went on. Can someone else give me some insight as to what the hell took so long to get them on stage? And there was an intro and then another intro with some sort of video going on? I wondered if they were just trying to kill time while they fixed the technical difficulties. All said, I got to hear about 8 songs of their set. I could almost hear the surprise reaction of everyone to their new song (opening song too), Maniac Dance. Well after that one was over, they busted into a REALLY fast version of Speed of Light. Almost like they were trying to make the song name true! LOL Sounded good though. I loved Kiss of Judas, Legions and Vefore the Winter and really glad to see they are still doing Twilight Symphony live. Will be interesting to see their reaction to the club they are playing at here next month, but hope everything stays together until then.

My favourite of the night? Am I allowed to say all of them? LOL What about you guys?

Therion. Hands down the ass kickers of Saturday night. Did you not hear any of their set?

I only got to hear 1/2 a song of two different songs. John isn't privy to them, although I'm also an old big fan of theirs as well. But I will see them in about a week here, even though it's a tiny club. We'll see how well that works here. hehe That's why I ask about other people's views since I could not see what was going on nor did I hear absolutely everything. :) What did you like most about Therion's set? Did they do Ginungagap (my favourite)? Can you tell me more about what they did on stage (did some stay on and some people switch going on and off the stage, one or two guitarists, etc)? Thanks for anything you can tell me!!!

Dammit, who was that!!! LOL Sorry about that! Thanks for at least being cool enough to not say that I was playing with myself while I was posting or something to that effect! Proof positive that once again the ProgPower crowd= character!

Stratovarius took it for me, but I'm biased because I've been waiting years to see them. The energy on the floor was incredible for them.

However, Therion were right behind them. Their stage show reminds me of TSO but 100% darker and intense. I got chills on some of their songs when everyone started singing, and the singer ruled. Here's hoping Glenn invites him back next year with "At Vance".

All in all, I think day 2 was better than day 1 in terms of bands and performance.

Ranking it, I'd say

1.Stratovarius
2.Therion
3.Stride
4.Symphorce
5.Pink Cream 69

But all were stellar performances, enjoyed everyone of them.

I have to say though - that PC69's vocalist hair is probably the most femine of the bands at PP6. If you had seen him from behind, with that blonde flowing hair, I would swear it's a girl. :tickled:

I'm a huge Stratovarius fan, but Therion easily had the best set of the night. Stratovarius was amazing, but they played too many ballads. Therion was absolutely incredible.

I'm was interseted in hearing Stratovarius set list because I've been a big fan of them for many years and this is their first U.S. date they played on their first ever tour of North America. I'm also going to see them twice in California next month. I'm curious about their setlist because I really don't want to hear any ballads live (guy above me says that there were too many ballads :erk: ). I'm not going to a metal show to "clap my hands and sway" to ballds; I want the songs that explode with energy, the kind of songs that make you jump out of your seat :hotjump:

The ballad's were
1) Land of Ice and Snow
2) Forever

Some might consider Coming Home and United and Season of Chagne to be ballad like, but I consider those the typical Stratovarius hymn's.

Forever's one of their classics though - so of course they'll play it. LoIaS is from the new album is like 2:45, so it's not long at all

Therion ruled. If anyone saw me, I was one of the two tall guys headbanging in the front row on the left. I loved the set with maybe one exception, and it totally made the night for me. I didn't actually look behind or pay attention to anything else; was the crowd really into it?

The_Q said:
Therion ruled. If anyone saw me, I was one of the two tall guys headbanging in the front row on the left. I loved the set with maybe one exception, and it totally made the night for me. I didn't actually look behind or pay attention to anything else; was the crowd really into it?

Sorry, I did it again. I'm used to being logged in at home, I just noticed after I posted :p

You must be in the lobby, I'm going to try and figure out who you are...

Yeah, the crowd was going crazy for Therion. To me, Stratovarius was my favorite at the show. But after hearing people talk after Therion, I know many thought Therion were going to be the best at PPVI.

Enjoyed Therion up until someone decided they were in the band and did all the operatic vocals while standing behind me. Still wasn't enough to take away the best set Saturday. Think I will check them out in Poughkeepsie in like 2 weeks and hopefully won't get another girl who should not sing with an operatic voice. It's one thing to sing along normally but when they belt out along with the singers, they tend to drown out the stuff you want to hear.

mtlheart said:
Therion. Hands down the ass kickers of Saturday night. Did you not hear any of their set?

In my estimation Therion was the highlight of the festival, Strato was awesome as were most of the other bands(sorry but Conception was a deception to me)!

Sorry, but Therion was pretty boring. Them and Orphaned Land get my vote as "worst" of the festival. Just not my thing. Don't get me wrong, I think both are very good at what they do and are top notch performers. They are just not my thing at all. Personally I really liked Symphorce, Strato, PC69, Circus Maximus and Stride. Angra was very good as well although Edu had some troubles with his voice. Manticora was decent. I liked Conception too. Kahn rules! The singer for Circus Maximus was absolutely phenomenal. And what can I say about Andy B. Franck. He is THE Front Man. And as he said our asses were his!!! Loved hearing Stride play 2112 even though the singer had to strain to sing it!! Overall the festival was great.