Elvenking Set Thoughts

Even worse was the backing vocal samples. WHY do bands do this?!?! There's one guy (or sometimes no one) singing the chorus, and yet we hear 10 different voices. Anytime I hear this, I start to wonder what else the band is piping in. I wish they'd do what they can live and allow fans to know that they aren't in the studio.

Thank you for saying so as I could not stand this. You've got 6 guys up there....give 'em all a mic and get on with it. I understand (to a degree) sequencing keyboard intros, etc, but this was out of hand.

Other than that, enjoyed the singer's enthusiasm....too bad the rest of the band stood there like trees....

Excellent set. I think the guys need to play more off their first album though, because it's such a fan favorite. For example, look at Amorphis. 5 albums later, they still played 3 tracks off Elegy during their set. That's because they know it's an album that their fans deserve to hear. Heathenreel seems very similarly relevant to Elvenking.

That being said... great set. Tons of energy, great choices off the newer albums, and just dang cool guys.

Other than that, enjoyed the singer's enthusiasm....too bad the rest of the band stood there like trees....

I actually asked Aydan about this (guitarist, stage left). He said that he was basically rooted in place because the line that tethered his axe to his rig was so short. So it wasn't completely in their control.

Kellsco said:
Thank you to nailz for sponsoring them, and to my friend Jimmy for daring me to watch the entire set. We bet each other that neither of us could make it thru their set as we were not fans. I had it in my head that I was NOT going to like them.

I loved them!!!! :headbang::headbang:

I'm glad you gave them a chance, regardless of HOW! :lol::lol: - Don't forget to give credit to Exploding Neds, Curufin, and Heavenly Call for helping make my dream a reality too! Thank you guys so much!

Moose said:
Nailz, I am sorry I doubted you! They were the surprise of the weekend for me. What an awesome show!

Glad you liked it! And I figured they'd be a sleeper!

Elvenking is one of my favorite bands, it was awesome to finally see them and live and also hang out with them throughout the weekend. However, I am with anyone who would have wanted at least one more song from Heathenreel. Some thoughts:

Apparently, through talking to the guys that have been in Elvenking the longest, they (the band) aren't big fans of Heathenreel. I'm sure they're proud of it like any artist is proud of his/her work, but they think that their works have only gotten better with time. Therefore, knowing that they put so little stock in their own debut, they are probably not all that eager to play more than one song from it live, which I think sucks...it would have ruled to hear The Regality Dance or Oakenshield (or hell, Seasonspeech) live.

As it stands, the band also is probably going to move further away from the look and sound I've grown to love them for. For example, when I asked Damnagoras why they didn't paint their faces, dress in tunics, and generally look like "elves" anymore, he replied "Because that's gay." Without missing a beat, I reminded him that he's in a band called ELVENKING, to which he replied "One of our biggest problems is that name." What I interpolate from those statements is just what I can guess from their change in sound with The Scythe: less on the bouncy, folky, sylvan themes and more with the depressive, heavy, chugga chugga stuff that was all over the latest CD. However, I have no idea what the acoustic album will sound like, and I hope that it proves me wrong. But they definitely want to leave their former look and sound behind, as evident by their stage garb and the sound of the latest album.

Palabra: After talking to Gorlan at PP, I think you're going to be pleasently surprised with the Acoustic, and talking to the band extensively on the topic of their musical future, you should not rule anything out. Every album has been extremely unique, and don't expect at ALL another "The Scythe." It won't happen. They've already done it. They have absolutely no interest in doing it again. One of their biggest challenges to themselves are to always do something different and staying true to their roots. I hated WYRD and damn near gave up on them back in 2003, but The Winter Wake won me back 10 fold. So just wait to see what they have in store. ;)

You hated Wyrd because you have no taste ;) Its still some of the best songwriting the band has ever done.

I can see the name 'Elvenking' as holding them back from general acceptance (since some will mock them due to it). But yes, for those who love the cheesier aspects of Elvenking, perhaps they've passed beyond that.

I thought the Elvenking set was OK, but nothing great for me. With that said, I've not been able to entirely get into their studio stuff either. I can see this band gaining popularity in the U.S. with the proper backing.

~Brian~

The shame about Elvenking is that their new live guitarist, Raffaello (the dark, curly-haired one), is actually one of the greatest lead guitarists I've ever seen and they stick him to rhythm duties instead of using his talents on lead. So he's stuck there looking like a fucking tree with all that talent going to waste. It's like having Steve Vai and James Hetfield playing in a band together, only James Hetfield is playing lead and Steve Vai is stuck to rhythm. IMO, he's too good for that band, and they just don't get the fact that he's a weapon, yet they're afraid to use him. They don't feel his style suits Elvenking.

Welp, IMHO, maybe it isn't his style that needs changing.

The shame about Elvenking is that their new live guitarist, Raffaello (the dark, curly-haired one), is actually one of the greatest lead guitarists I've ever seen and they stick him to rhythm duties instead of using his talents on lead. So he's stuck there looking like a fucking tree with all that talent going to waste. It's like having Steve Vai and James Hetfield playing in a band together, only James Hetfield is playing lead and Steve Vai is stuck to rhythm. IMO, he's too good for that band, and they just don't get the fact that he's a weapon, yet they're afraid to use him. They don't feel his style suits Elvenking.

Lol.. they have a lead guitarist who can lay the shit down as it is. Frankly, I think Aydan's compositions are awesome for the music they write. And I can't comment on Raffaello's talent as I've never heard him play anything before, but (and no disrespect to the guy), he IS just filling in for the time being, and getting paid for it, I'd imagine. The band here is all about the chemistry, and we saw that when the band nearly fell apart after releasing WYRD. If he doesn't fit in with the band, why bother keeping him as a part of it? And if he was brought on to play rhythm, why not let him play?

It seems like an unfair assumption on your part. Maybe you didn't know he was only filling in live.

Well he played at least one solo. I prefer Jarpen's soloing to Aydan's, and I was hoping the other guitarist would have played more of Jarpen's solos. Aydan is good, but Jarpen owned more of his own style than Aydan. Plus, its just nice to have the contrasting styles.

Dead Winter: This happens often enough. I can think of several great guitarists/soloists that played rythm for other guitarists.. who they are arguably better than.

Lol.. they have a lead guitarist who can lay the shit down as it is. Frankly, I think Aydan's compositions are awesome for the music they write. And I can't comment on Raffaello's talent as I've never heard him play anything before, but (and no disrespect to the guy), he IS just filling in for the time being, and getting paid for it, I'd imagine. The band here is all about the chemistry, and we saw that when the band nearly fell apart after releasing WYRD. If he doesn't fit in with the band, why bother keeping him as a part of it? And if he was brought on to play rhythm, why not let him play?

It seems like an unfair assumption on your part. Maybe you didn't know he was only filling in live.

I knew he was filling in live, as he's my guitar teacher. :p But he's been playing live for about a year with them.

I've seen them countless times around here, and every time they play it's kinda funny to see Raffaello holding back because he has this really beautiful style of playing...he seems like a thoroughbred chomping at the bit with them live. My point is that he could make all of their solos and arrangements even better, but it's like he's just there as eye candy. He's playing rhythm for the most part and they could've gotten ANYONE to do that. You don't get a guy who teaches at conservatories and music academies and plays all over europe and tell him NOT to play what he's best at...it's like having the London Philharmonic play Row Row Row Your Boat.

I guess you'd have to see his solo work to really appreciate him. I just think he could really add to their sound and style, and I don't think they're taking advantage of it. As far as style goes, check out his acoustic folk side project, Harduo. He and another friend of ours make up that project and it's absolutely wonderful to hear and see them play. Trust me, check it out. You won't be sorry and you'll see my point.

I understand your point, and you're right; it's all about chemistry. Raffa's personality is a bit different from the rest of the band's....I'll just leave it at that. I don't think they'll ever find a permanent second guitarist.

Well he played at least one solo. I prefer Jarpen's soloing to Aydan's, and I was hoping the other guitarist would have played more of Jarpen's solos. Aydan is good, but Jarpen owned more of his own style than Aydan. Plus, its just nice to have the contrasting styles.

I agree. It's a shame Jarpen left because he made that band stick out in a sea of faceless and nameless folk metal bands. Every time I see him around here, I think, "man, when are you gonna get back with Elvenking?"

He's a hippie, though. He is really into his own thing and he seems much happier now doing his stuff.

You don't get a guy who teaches at conservatories and music academies and plays all over europe and tell him NOT to play what he's best at...it's like having the London Philharmonic play Row Row Row Your Boat.

Well, in all fairness, he did take the job.

I understand your point, and you're right; it's all about chemistry. Raffa's personality is a bit different from the rest of the band's....I'll just leave it at that. I don't think they'll ever find a permanent second guitarist.

It's possible they won't. And no matter how good he is, if he doesn't fit musically or personally, he shouldn't be in that particular band. He must be content with being a fill in or he wouldn't still be there.

I will definitely check out his stuff if I can find it. I'm always up for new things and would like to know what he can do, and always love to find new folk-type things.

Usually we don’t get involved in this kind of discussion but we’re getting pretty sick of all this people spitting sentences over things they absolutely don’t have a clue about. What do you know about us choosing a guitarist? We don’t even know you! Oh now I see you come exactly from our area…and that’s not a surprise to us! You even come to the PP forums to speak about us..but that’s ok.

That’s part of the game… and it's cool! but what we don’t accept is that you tell to other people and to our loyal fans things that are absolutely wrong! So we want to clear up things a bit. What do we care about having Steve Vai in our band? We don’t care about that! We never cared of that shit and for sure R. doesn’t need someone to speak for himself. We need a good guitarist that can play our songs.. full stop. This stupid game of comparing Aydan to Hetfield and R. to any guitar hero is just a child’s game. Do you really think that musicians should play 100 solos to sound good? You’re completely missing the point and our philosophy as a band. For us the best quality in a musician is playing 100% with the heart and working for the songs only! One can be the biggest guitar god, or whatever, but he would always play the songs as they’re meant to be played. The musician has to adapt to the band, not the opposite!! This is how it works in Elvenking. That’s why it’s difficult to find the right guitar player ‘cause most of the time we get guys full of their ego and they’re not able to play our songs without being another Steve Vai or whoever clone. In any case R. proposed himself to the band and so far we had a great time with him around Europe and especially in the US! This is the truth.. for the rest, let the people who attended our show in Atlanta do the talking!

And here we take the occasion to thank all the people that had a good time with us at the ProgPower festival! It has been a blast..we had so much fun with you guys! Hope to come again very soon!!! CHEERS!!!!

ELVENKING

They were by far and away my favorite set of the weekend. I knew they were going to put on an awesome show, but I didn't think they'd blow me away to the level that they did. Technical issues aside, they kicked my ass up one side then down the other. I was expecting my favorite to be Amorphis... but Ek stole the entire weekend for me. Pathosray was a close second followed by Amorphis.

I wish EK would come back to the states....

And after what the guys wrote above, it sounds like they had a good time at ProgPower, which is all that matters to me!

-Metal

I agree. It's a shame Jarpen left because he made that band stick out in a sea of faceless and nameless folk metal bands. Every time I see him around here, I think, "man, when are you gonna get back with Elvenking?"

He's a hippie, though. He is really into his own thing and he seems much happier now doing his stuff.

The band could have no solos and they'd still sound like their own thing. Jarpen was a great member of the band, but the band is still strong without him. I'm not sure how much Jarpen wrote for the band though, so I can't comment on if they've lost anything in that way.

Jarpen's soloing was just more interesting to me than Aydan's style. But I still like Aydan's playing. And the band is musically interesting throughout.