Elvenking Set Thoughts

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
Well, it's over, and it was worth the 6 year wait, even with the sound problems they had in the beginning (which got fixed almost immediately, to the crews credit. Shit happens.) They asked me early on how the crowd was, and I said "all you have to do is get them involved".

Holy hell, I had no idea they'd get the reaction they got. Thank you guys so much for making them a huge hit. I heard people singing, people chanting, people screaming, clapping.. even the back of the room in the seats were getting into it!

I couldn't have asked for a more energetic band, let me tell you, or a nicer bunch of guys.

Got some awesome awesome pictures. Would love to hear what everyone thought, and sorry for my probably attrocious singing when Damna thrust the mic at me, but it truely was amazing to get to do that. :lol:

Setlist to the best of my memory (order)

1. Totentaz intro
2. The Scythe
3. Jigsaw Puzzle
4. Infection
5. The Divided Heart
6. The Wanderer
7. Poison Tears
8. Pagan Purity
9. The Winter Wake

A big sucks to be AngraRULES who missed almost all of the set trying to get pizza from the bar area. He had no idea the food took forever.

WOW!!! I am super shocked that they didnt play The Divided Heart since they seems to be thier "hit" song for non-fans.

Not a bad set list....but way to short.

Nailz....have you gotten the Leprachan CD yet or the Stormspell disc with Damna on it?

Liked the music a lot. Didn't like the vocals. No offense, but this could be a much stronger band with better lead vocals.

Even worse was the backing vocal samples. WHY do bands do this?!?! There's one guy (or sometimes no one) singing the chorus, and yet we hear 10 different voices. Anytime I hear this, I start to wonder what else the band is piping in. I wish they'd do what they can live and allow fans to know that they aren't in the studio.

Thanks for bringing them, though. I still enjoyd it.

Steve in Philly

I agree....I am not a fan of the piped in stuff. During Turisas...I wondered what else was being piped in during thier set in the Paganfest tour. I would rather have a rawer sound live without the fakeness to the set.

Elenkings vocals are a aquired taste...I love them.

I had a great time jumping around on the floor. Overall this fest ended up not being my typical fare of music so Elvenking was basically the band to destroy all my energy on (I was falling asleep during Amorphis so only stuck around for 30 min :( Freaking 1 hr setup time).

WOW!!! I am super shocked that they didnt play The Divided Heart since they seems to be thier "hit" song for non-fans.

Oops, I forgot to include that, my bad. edit incoming.

I have both the Leprechaun Disc and the Spellblast CD as well.

Liked the music a lot. Didn't like the vocals. No offense, but this could be a much stronger band with better lead vocals. Thanks for bringing them, though. I still enjoyd it

This seems to be a concern with a few people. The band isn't the same without Damna, who is fucking incredible on vocals as far as I'm concerned.. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

The only downside is they didn't play any of my fave tracks from The Winter Wake, but at least they played the title track. I'd love to see them headline on Thursday night next PPUSA weekend!

I fully expected to hate them, but didn't. I did think they had the worst sound of any band at the show, but they still sounded good, just a but muddy in the mix. I still don't think I'll run out and buy any of their CDs, but they did put on a good performance.

dt

I was pretty surprised at how popular they were, I've never had anyone else know who they were when I mentioned them.

Regarding your setlist, Winter Wake came last, not Pagan Purity.

It's clear they're trying to expand their audience, with the emphasis on the Scythe. It's a great album, but when I know every song back to front I want to hear my favorites. White Willow and Oakenshield in particular. Neverending Night, also.

absolutely loved them too!.....very renaissance sounding...can't remember more...just remembered that i loved them and was very happy to grab a pick aydan threw into the crowd and then being able to meet them afterwards...though bummed i wasn't able to find an older cd or a long sleeved shirt

i hadn't heared a single track by this band going into the show (sad i didn't do my homework) - seemed like the band had a ton of potential, but really bad mixing on the guitars and fiddle, and fairly weak vox made the live set less than impressive.

several of the songs seemed really catchy and well written, and i'm looking forward to getting all their cd's and becoming more familiar w/ their work.

This was the band I was super excited to see and they did not disappoint, aside from their set being way too short and all the "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!" from the audience.....especially during 'Pagan Purity'. I appreciate fan participation and all that jive and I get involved as well, but not during 90% of the song. I think it's awesome that they had such a great response but it made it difficult to hear the band. That's what I get for being front and center I guess.
I hope to see these guys back in the states real soon.

Elvenking did a great job and they did play The Divided Heart like next to last in their set list.

I was all set to hate these guys, I don't like the whole "fantasy" aspect a lot of the time, however, I was pleasantly surprised by their performance.

The friend I was with at the time shares my outlook on that whole sort of thing, though -- As the plastic swords came out, she turned to me and said "let's get drinks."

- R

They kicked ass, as expected. Was very happy to finally see them. I can't wait for their acoustic album.

Thank you to nailz for sponsoring them, and to my friend Jimmy for daring me to watch the entire set. We bet each other that neither of us could make it thru their set as we were not fans. I had it in my head that I was NOT going to like them.

I loved them!!!! :headbang::headbang: