Scanning/Tablet question for Trav and other artists

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
I do a lot of scanning for my site work and such, as well as the beginning of my "aspiring" cover art attempts.

Question, when scanning, what settings are best to use other than the obvious 300dpi. I have a lot of trouble with getting that "moire'" (correct term?) after scanning where I have to run it through and remove noise/moire. Is this just the way it is when scanning photos, cd booklets etc. ?

Also, I have never used a tablet but am now going to get one for pressure sensitive painting, etc. ... Wacom the way to go? Model of choice?

Any help appreciated!

Hi!
Try to play around with the "descreen" setting in your scanning software. That setting takes away some of the moire effect.

I use a wacom intuos A4 tablet. It works great.

Mattias

There is a simple ecuation to scan images but I cant seem to remember it right now... the dpi must be set according the printer output and the size of the final pic.

For removing the noise, you could use the filter "gaussian blur", note that noise mostly appears on already printed (and copyrighted / just a reminder) work and on 400-800 asa developed photograpy. The process of "cleaning" might be in direct proportion of the quality of your scanner.

The ideal settings would be using "slide" films and scanning them with the proper scanner (whose name in english is drowned by inmsonmia right now).

When it comes to a tablet, yes, Wacom Intuos is the weapon of choice, of course you could alway make things work with the Wacom Graphire, but it will require and extra point of patience, since it has lower pressure levels, the "round" traces get angular and so on...

Hope it makes sense and helps!

I use a Wacom Intuos 6x8 and its probably some of the best money i ever spent. It rules. After a few months you will probably throw away your mouse.
I did.

Scanning: well you should only get the moire pattern when scanning printed materials. (books, magazines, etc) which i never do. You shouldn't have any problem with that when scanning an actual photo or slide.

I scan my printed photos at 600-800ppi, slides at 2820ppi or better
and line art/gray images at 1200 ppi or better.

T

and doesnt' takes ages when dealing with 800 dpi????
when I worked with 300 my machine just kept saying it needed some rest!!! and once the cover and booklet was printed the outfit was near perfection....well I guess that "near" is what lets me down ;)

as for tablets....Wacom PenPartner....I feel like me playing with StarWars toys while Wacom Intuos are dealing with the actores themselves :cry: