Schecter omen 7 extreme????

Indonesian factories tend to have terrible QC. The Omen 7 is an okay guitar, I have experience with them, and they feel about as cheap as their price tag. For 300-odd bucks they aren't bad, though.

any other mahogany axes you'd recommend??

If you're looking for a schecter, the ATX C-7 and C-8 series are good guitars with nice features. The Ibanez RGA7 and 8 are also fantastic guitars with other cool stuff.

what about the Ibanez MTM2 ? i know Ola uploaded some tracks with it and it sounded great!!!

Though is it a hassle to re string on it?

Yeah, I'd avoid the Omen series if you can afford something better.
The Hellraiser C-7 is going to be much nicer if you can find a used one

Yeah, I'd avoid the Omen series if you can afford something better.
The Hellraiser C-7 is going to be much nicer if you can find a used one

^This.

If you are definitely in the market for a Schecter, then go with one of their higher end models that are still made in Korea. I had a Korean made Hellraiser and it was a pretty nice guitar.

Also, I think Agiles have mahogany bodies, if that's the body wood you are set on. The Ibbys, I believe, are mostly basswood from what I remember reading, but don't quote me.

mine is made in china..

Same here I think. Also, when going for the omen extreme make sure you don't get an old one...those are basswoord.

My omen extreme is pretty cool for the money. The nut has to be replaced, it was cut too deep for me, but thats an easy fix. Fretwork and intonation was fine, pickups need to be replaced. Tuners are fine. Inlays are also cheap looking, not real pearl. You get what you pay for.

Guitars are not made by robots.

You can get a nice instrument handcrafted in Asia, or an unplayable one made in the U.S., England, etc

Guitars are not made by robots.

You can get a nice instrument handcrafted in Asia, or an unplayable one made in the U.S., England, etc

Actually, production guitars are, in a sense, made by robots, in that the wood is placed in a jig and is cut using CNC.

As for handcrafted instruments, yes, you can get beautiful ones made anywhere in the world, but having owned an Indonesian made Schecter myself, I can say they aren't worth the money. The bridge, tuning pegs, tone knobs, and pups on it are all pretty crappily made and applied.

If I were in the market for a new 7 string, and planned on not paying more than $500 USD, I'd either get a new Agile or try to find a nice used Ibanez.

+1 for the Agile. For a bit more money you get, ebony fretboard, neck thru body, emg pickups and a thinner neck. I love my interceptor pro:D

DSCF0261.jpg

Did you link to the wrong guitar because the guitar in that photo is a 6 string....

haha yeh i just noticed that - well i decided just to go the 6 string route and tune to drop C - like that tuning and hopefully should sound beffier on this mahogany axe