Screamfest Metal Festival 31/12/09-01/01/10

I gotta say it was the best NYE/Day i've ever been involved in!! Well done JSR!;)
Regardless of weather it moves from the date or location next year one thing is for sure and that we now have a proper Heavy Metal festival in Australia that features great overseas and local acts.I think it was all put together very well.
All the bands i spoke to were soo happy to be there and the way they were treated was top notch.No egos within the artists too which made it even more fun to be there.
Highlights for me were def EDGUY, DARK FUNERAL, VIRGIN BLACK and ROTTING CHRIST.
Also kudos to DARKER HALF for kicking the fest off in style.
I certainly think ROTTING CHRIST made a lot of new fans as they are known by name here but not a lot by music. That will change if they return as they will def have an even bigger crowd then i'm sure!
Also EDGUY are just amazing! I don't care how rediculous this sounds but they are just an insane live act and deserve to be playing venues like Acer Arena. They blow the likes of PRIEST, MOTLEY and WASP away these days and deserve to be one of the worlds premier Metal acts!
My opinion of course.:D

+1 in all respects- just I would have added Ensiferum to that list of the highlights.

A pretty disappointing night for me in the end.

After finishing work at 4pm and thinking i would arrive in time to see Darker Half i was annoyed that it took 35 minutes to get in the front door (finally got into the Enmore just as Darker Half walked off stage) and then i finally get to the door only to be told that my front-row(upstairs) reserved ticket that i bought in August was useless as they upstairs area was closed.
Get to the bar and find out is $8 for a can of VB(i know i only paid $6 at the Enmore earlier in the year).Later in the night i got two sausage sandwiches which tasted terrible and had obviously been sitting on the BBQ for hours so then i was arguing with the sausage man trying to get a refund for my inedible food.I think it was at this point that one of the organisers came out to try and calm things down but i think the combination of all the disappointments exploded and i took a swing at him(i wish to offer my sincere apologies to him!)next thing i'm surrounded by all the security guards who eventually hail a cab and send me home.

I did enjoy Rotting Christ and Destroyer 666.

I did thoroughly enjoy the Harbour Cruise on the Saturday and speaking to several people on the cruise it seemed that everyone really enjoyed the whole event.The only minor complaints that most people had was the price of beer at the Enmore

So it looks like it was just me who had a bad night!

Ralphe, I do understand how you would have been pissed off with all the things you mention. With the sausage guy and your screamfest ticket, you should be entitled to a refund for both. If the product isnt what it says it is, its fucked. I don't agree with the 'swing' though, as you even realise it was a silly thing to do. I more like fighting with words than punches.

As for the New Years Day part of the festival (the only day i attended), Black Majesty and Eyefear were good, as usual (although I found Black Majesty's faster style harder to decipher from the front of the stage than Eyefear's), Ensiferum completely blew me away, they are fucking awesome and I will be buying some of their cds, and EDGUY, 10/10. Its good that a band come that I enjoy so much and know every one of their tunes. They were just killer. Hearing their new material live has given me a much greater appreciation for their new album, Tinnitus Sanctus, which, although i liked before, I didn't like near as much as the older stuff. Although this still remains to be true, the gap has lessened. Their shirt design was also awesome, tour dates on the back with an image on the front and 'EDGUY' logo on top. And to top it all off, the mix of songs was great. Babylon, Vain Glory Opera (2nd best of the night), Tears of the Mandrake (BEST OF THE NIGHT :headbang:), Dead or Rock, Speedhoven, Mysteria, King of Fools, Superheroes, The Trooper (teaser - it sounds fucking heavy!!! awesome!), and i may be missing one or two others.

Either way, even though i wasnt there for the first day, atleast i can say that, in my opinion, day 2 was a success. Cynic i thought i'd like a bit more but i found them so boring, Dark Funeral just aint my thing and i found them laughable, but im sure they both brought numbers to the festival. My point here is i like the mixture of the bands because it bring different people to the festival. If i like the band enough, i dont mind paying $130 to see them. E.g. if gamma ray, freedom call, blind guardian, edguy, etc. were to come down id be there no questions asked. My friend predicted next years headline, MANOWAR! lol i highly doubt it, but as i said in the previous sentence, id be there.

The only criticism i have is the date of the festival. People have families, and want to spend it with them, me being one of them. I know its a cool idea, but really, i think the numbers would have been a bit higher if it didnt fall on new years. Just my opinion, but I've heard a few people that felt a bit 'meh' about the date.

I've concluded that if they have it again next (this) year, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall or Stratovarious will make an appearance. That is based on no facts/educated information whatsover, but given the bill they had this year, its plausable.

Was the place packed? I imagine the reason that the upstairs bit (Ralphe) was closed due to not having enough people to warrant having it open. If it wasn't packed both days, it might be a bit of a push to have such an event again for a while. They would have paid some big dollars for such an event. If they didn't get the profits they were going for, then I'd doubt they'd be interested in taking another risk like that, you know?

Harbour Cruises = awesome!!

The floor was pretty full, but not 'squished' by any means. I was at the front for alot of the time and still had a bit of moving space.

As far as i know the numbers were a little down on what they anticipated but still respectable.
In talking to the organisers they are keen to do it again next year if when the final figures are crunched it's plausable but i also think they will be moving it to possibly a week or 2 after NYE which i think will make a big difference.
Also in hearing some of the poss bands that may be playing if it goes ahead there will be just as much if not more excitement than the 1st year!!
But i can't promise MANOWAR!:lol:

Blind Guardian! They should have the new album out by then and ready to tour!

But considering this year they got about 5+ of my favourite bands playing, they've got a pretty damn hard task haha.