Screaming for Numbers

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
Hey, here's an interesting thought I had today...let's hear from everyone on this one.
There have been many debates on Iron Maiden vs. Judas Priest and which band is better and why. So...let's look at their two most "defining" albums...come on! You can't think MAIDEN without the BEAST and you can't think PRIEST without ANOTHER THING COMIN' so even though they both have other albums that rock...which of these two beats out the other in terms of classic metal albums of all time????

Here is my choice, after much debate......

JUDAS PRIEST - SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE

Why? Because of the twin guitar attack on songs like the Hellion and Electric Eye. To me these are just a little heavier than a lot of the #of the beast tracks. I dunno, it's a tough one because if you think about it the two bands are similar. BOTH have great guitarists and a great singer....both are classic albums, so I guess it just all comes down to opinions....so what do you all think???

This post will get us nowhere, I just thought it might be a fun debate.

Ted

I have to go The Number Of The Beast :)

However, if the argument was Priest vs Maiden I'd have to go Priest coz generally I prefer Priest's fist pumping anthem metal over Maiden's galloping guitar harmony metal. But The Number Of The Beast is one of the greatest ever, and for some reason Screaming isn't one of my fave Priest albums, dunno why.

Although there's some great songs on Screaming, it's always been kinda spotty for me, whereas there are no songs that I actually dislike on Number. Invaders and Gangland may suffer in comparison to the rest of the songs on the album, but for a lesser band they would be considered classics. As far as I'm concerned, Maiden takes this one hands-down!

Tough question as I would pick Piece Of Mind from Maiden and Painkiller from Priest as my favs (at the moment).

Anyway, I think I have to go with Priest on this one. Both are great albums but I think the Priest stands a bit stronger. Close call, though.

That is tough. I like Dickenson's voice over Halford's, but I prefer Tipton/Downing to Murray/Smith. I give the edge to Harris and McBrain in the rythm section, and the music was a bit more complexed with Maiden as well. Still it's tough to beat Tipton on the axe..... I would have to play chicken here and call it a toss-up. I personally think "Holy Diver" is the classic of classic metal CDs. Nothing against either of those releases, but Dio's first release gets morespins than those two combined these days.

Bryant

sixxswine said:
I pick Priest. Here's why & how I figured this is the choice for me.
Which of the two COULD I NOT LIVE WITHOUT HEARING AGAIN.
Hands down it's PRIEST!

Thats an interesting way of looking at it That totally made me rethink my position on the subject lol Now I dont fukin know

tedvanfrehley said:
...which of these two beats out the other in terms of classic metal albums of all time????

Ted

Man, this is a hard one! If it comes down to which band released what I feel to be "THE" all time classic it would be Maiden (but lets face it, everything these two bands released up until the 90's is a must own classic... in my book anyway).

When I think of Priest "Screaming For Vengence" is the first thing that pops in my head.

And when I think of Maiden "Power Slave" is the first thing that pops into my head.

So of those 2 albums I will go with "Power Slave".

Power Slave was just so epic to me as a kid. Were Vengence was a full on metal - rock your ass off album, Power Slave was something you could get lost in, be it the music, the lyrics, or just the imagery. Plus seeing them on that tour left a permanent image in my brain!

sixxswine said:
I saw Priest twice on the Painkiller tour. I have to say that it was an unbelieveable show. Scott Travis has chops! Painkiller is a underrated record, it was excellent.
I hear ya man, I hear ya! :) Painkiller and Sad Wings of Destiny are my favorite Priest albums. Screaming for Vengeance has a weak production and some commercial songs I don't like.

Yep! I love BS also. When it was released I gave a Judas priest party. We played all the priest records after each other and ended with BS!!

That was a kick ass party I can tell you :)

Now that I think of it; that was the first tour I saw them on. They ripped!! :headbang:

The only time I got to see Priest was on the Painkiller tour with Testament and Megadeth. I will be there next year as well to herald their return.

Kind of a funny note from that concert. My girlfriend at the time tried to go down on me during Priest's set. I shoved her off, scolding her for disturbing me while they were on stage. It was blasphemy!

sixxswine said:
Hawk you are one cool motherfucker! Wanna hop a plane & move in next door to me? I'm in need of a cool neighbor!
I would love to!! Man; would we crank it up!!!! Only question is, how the **** do we get rid of your present neighbor ??!!

Psychonaut said:
The only time I got to see Priest was on the Painkiller tour with Testament and Megadeth. I will be there next year as well to herald their return.

Kind of a funny note from that concert. My girlfriend at the time tried to go down on me during Priest's set. I shoved her off, scolding her for disturbing me while they were on stage. It was blasphemy!
Well, at least you have got your piorities right :headbang: