Screemo voice

Marlinark

New Metal Member
Oct 28, 2009
What would you say is the best effect to put on your voice on garageband for example to sound scremo.

I always hear the perfect voice every time I download metal songs but can never find the perfect preset to sound that way.

Do I just need a scratchy voice to pull this off?

I'm interested in this, too, although I don't think we're talking slightly about the same thing.

I'm curious as to know what stuff, like compression or reverb or something, a lot of melodeath bands put on their screams to make them sound clearer and cleaner, and not all over the place like mine do.

Are you interested in the same thing? Or are you saying like Mastadon, where the entire thing is just them talking or singing in the mic with a lot of distortion?

Little confused but I will attempted to answer.

It always helps to warm up your voice before you prepare to do any type of singing. I encourage anyone to take some sort of vocal lesson even if your not going to ever sing. It will help you learn how to properly warm up your voice, not to blow your voice out, and hit notes in your screamo sounds.

As for clearity, I have a sonic maximizer (signal processor) I use for my guitar as well as vocals it helps clear up the signal before it goes through the speakers. Also, if you are using a cheap mic that will not help. Good luck, hope that some what helps.

Screams are just the result of well.......screaming really.
You'll need good technique to ensure you don't fuck up your voice, so get vocal training first.
Once vocals are recorded and put into a mix, they will have some degree of high pass applied, compression and possibly EQ-ing.
They will practically always be doubled up too, so ideally you will need to sing/death growl/scream (whatever vocal style you want really) in time to a metronome and pay attention to your phrasing and articulation of each phrase to be able to effectively double them up without sound amateurish.