SD sh-18 (NEW) soundtest (5150 /recto)

SH-5 was my favorite duncan....until the 15 came ;)

Lately I developed a love/hate-relationship to my SH-5. It sounds really mean and thick and has an awesome growl (at least in my Schecter) - but on the other hand I think that it's not the tightest pickup (or that it's not the best pickup for heavy mahogany-guitars).

I never heard it in another guitar, though ... :erk:

Wow, I've heard the SH-5 is pretty much the tightest passive Duncan out there (except for the SH-15 apparently!)

I liked the growl/barking of the sh-5, it was (till the sh15 came out) the tightest duncan IMO.
It just had some fizz that I couldn't EQ out w/o making the sound too muddy (a problem I have with most passives).

the sh15 has more output but still sounds more controlled, really tight and very well balanced.
I think that for EMG lovers the sh15 is the passive to go with. I'm actually thinking about replacing an EMG in one of my guits with an sh15)

LSD - Great. Now the thought of getting an sh15 is going to be haunting me severely. I am really satisfied with my sh6 duncan distortion in my Ibanez, but now you've got me curious. The sh6 has a really hot output, a lot of mids and is tight enough for my purposes. Have you had any experiences with the sh6 and would you recommend the sh15 over it?

LSD - Great. Now the thought of getting an sh15 is going to be haunting me severely. I am really satisfied with my sh6 duncan distortion in my Ibanez, but now you've got me curious. The sh6 has a really hot output, a lot of mids and is tight enough for my purposes. Have you had any experiences with the sh6 and would you recommend the sh15 over it?

used the sh-6 quite some time, had it in one of my les pauls and in a robin...really liked it.
the sh-15 blows it out of the water though

used the sh-6 quite some time, had it in one of my les pauls and in a robin...really liked it.
the sh-15 blows it out of the water though

I was afraid you would say that. One other question, how close do you keep your pickup off the strings when the highest fret position is depressed, or at least what was the height on that Explorer? 1/32", 1/16" or further away? I've found that you can get huge character and saturation changes with the slightest change in height.

I read, that with EMGs you can get closer to the strings without affecting the sound in a negative way. BUT I only had trouble getting my EMG 85 in the right position. I managed to get it TOO close which resultet in a really weird sound :D. I believe to have my SH-5 really close, but I think I'm going to recheck that. Maybe the slight wobblyness comes from a non-ideal position - if you all say, that it's one of the tightest SD's, something is wrong here :D

I read, that with EMGs you can get closer to the strings without affecting the sound in a negative way. BUT I only had trouble getting my EMG 85 in the right position. I managed to get it TOO close which resultet in a really weird sound :D. I believe to have my SH-5 really close, but I think I'm going to recheck that. Maybe the slight wobblyness comes from a non-ideal position - if you all say, that it's one of the tightest SD's, something is wrong here :D

yeah, the sh-5 is already pretty tight (for a passive!).
I have my EMG as close to the strings as possible (almost touching the strings), never had any problems with that

I have the 85 at the bridge a few milimeters away from the strings. I once tried to lower the space between pups and strings, which resultet in weird overtones and loss of sustain. I kept it farer away ever since and I really like the sound.

How close or far do you keep passives?

The EMG manual says to keep them as close as possible to the strings, which I do with mine. Doesn't that have to do with the fact that they use a weak magnet and use the battery to boost the signal? For my passives, its a hard balance. With the SH6, it sounds amazingly thick and heavy at a distance of 1/32" but it also adds flub and a loss of attack. Sometimes I'll go as far away as 3/16" on applications where I need the attack of an EMG.

AND it's Alnico 8! (whatever that means o_O )

alnico.jpg

nnnyes nnnyes, just as i imagined.. hmmm nnnnyesssssss!
some lines are longer than others... hmmmm... numbers are different.... hmmm nnnnyessssss.

:loco:

:D