SDC Dilemma (ATM450/NT5 owners chime in?)

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I love how my ATM450s sound but I seriously hate the side address... I can see how it would be useful in some situations but it just makes it a pain to set them up for overheads, it's a lot more difficult to really see where they are firing whereas with a regular mic you can sort of draw a line that follows the top and bottom of the mic to figure out where it's pointing... I mean, it's not that bad with the ATM450s, it's really a nitpick, but I find myself really wanting to dump them for NT5s or something JUST for the placement. From all experiences I've heard, the ATM450s are better mics which is what makes it so annoying, and I really don't want to spend money on top of selling the 450s to pick up MK012s or anything because the ATM450s sound perfectly fine...

Does this bother anyone else? Am I being a complete idiot? Someone convince me that the ATM450s are just so good that it's worth dealing with the stupid side address. I had NT5s for a few days and returned them because they are hot as hell and with the old Saffire Pro I had everything was clipping with the gain on 0, but my 1200F has -20db pads so that's not really an issue anymore... FWIW though I thought the NT5s sounded fantastic and a lot of guys here seem to like theirs.

Maybe I should just suck it up and buy a used pair of NT5s anyways :lol: