Search for the Ultimate Tuning of Metal

Never got much into the 'CGC fad', I prefer either something tuned with standard intervals fairly low (B to C#, because of where my voice sits), a 7-string somewhere between A and B, and (my most recent amusement) AEBEAD from low to high - two fifths and three fourths, makes really weird chords really easy.

Jeff

So far none of the bands I've seen live in that low tuning (including but not limited to Ion Dissonance, Nevermore, Meshuggah, Dream Theater, and Divine Heresy) were unintelligible because of low notes, scooping mids and cranking gain is far worse for that than tuning low.

Jeff

My favourites are drop C# and drop D on 6-strings, and anything between A standard and B standard on 7-strings, plus the occasional dropped tunings. I only use a baritone 7-string currently, and I think it's in Ab Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb tuning now.

I'm going to go 8-string in the future though, and my choice for it will probably be standard or ½ step down (F-standard).

I like Eb Standard for more straight thrash riffage. I am playing Drop C for some polyrhythm based stuff at the moment. As a bass player, I prefer standard, or Eb, as I don't have to get a bitch thick string to drop tune. I play 4-string mainly, so I don't want to move to a 5-string just to have the right feel for lower tunings. Luckily I have a 4-string bass w/ 35" scale which feels about right - but I'm still using a low .110 on the Drop C string. :mad:

We write in D standard and drop C predominantly, and a couple in D standard but drop B low string. Nothing Ultimate about these tunings, they just happen to be perfect for the singers voice and the particular songs.

I played in a band that used drop G for a time back in the mid 90s, listening back it was horrible sounding.
Last few years I've been in a band using D standard and drop C, with the occasional AGCFAD, and I'm bored of that now.
Just lately I'm playing just about everything in either E standard concert pitch or drop D, and having more fun with it. Coming up with heavy tunes in higher tunings is more of a challenge IMO.

The tuning of your instruments should be depended on your vocalist, right?
It's the only reason unless you're playing an instrumental.

I know sometimes some riffs sound cool in specific tuning, thats why writing a riff in one tuning and then down tuning sounds weird sometimes.
But what if your wrote an awesome riff/chorus etc and it sounds sweet in...say, D standard...but your vocalist is having trouble hitting the notes?
This isn't as important with screaming vocals but still neccessary. Machine Head for example, I'm not 100% sure for the reason but MH have an in between tuning (Not quite B not quite A#). If you listen to the new album you'll hear as I've tried playing along with tabs and have asked other people to do the same with the same results etc. (if not then I stand corrected)

In some cases it's different.
There are shows where we'd step the tuning down half to a whole step because we'll play 6 nights a week and the vocalist trying to hit those high notes would end up leaving the vocalist Hoarse at the end of the tour.

i think that it depends of the style of music ur playing, u cannot play BDM in E standard, or play heavy metal in drop C that justs what i think..
BTW. my fav tuning is A in a seven string.. i dont like the sound of it on a 6 string...