searching for digital Engl sounding pre-amp

noarin

Producer / Engineer
Apr 16, 2006
Does anybody know a digital preamp VST that comes close to the ENGL sound? I'd like to try it, the preamps I know are Revalver, Amplitube, Juicy77, GuitarRig and Aradaz.

thanks

The gold bundle of the Gearbox plug-in comes with an ENGL Powerball model... plus, IMO, you can get the Big Bottom model to sound somewhat ENGL-ish with the right settings :)

The gold bundle of the Gearbox plug-in comes with an ENGL Powerball model... plus, IMO, you can get the Big Bottom model to sound somewhat ENGL-ish with the right settings :)

I have the gold bundle and a powerball and a savage. the powerball plugin on gearbox sorta sounds like one but yet doesnt. It has characteristics of one but doesnt really sound like it. its hard to explain. The L6 sounds like the Savage a bit though but more like a 5150. The powerball plugin sounds more like a dual rec sound than the dual rec plugin does.

Does anybody know a digital preamp VST that comes close to the ENGL sound? I'd like to try it, the preamps I know are Revalver, Amplitube, Juicy77, GuitarRig and Aradaz.

thanks

You should be able to get pretty close to the digital sound if you just buy an engl :zombie: heh

hahaha....I have been pretty unimpressed with ENGL - I was kind of curious about them a while ago, but whenever I have played them I end up slightly disappointed. Even the ENGL savage 120 didn't stack up to the Krank, Mesa and Peavey stuff I already have.

That's not to say it was awful or anything, but I'd rather have the other amps.

hahaha....I have been pretty unimpressed with ENGL - I was kind of curious about them a while ago, but whenever I have played them I end up slightly disappointed. Even the ENGL savage 120 didn't stack up to the Krank, Mesa and Peavey stuff I already have.

That's not to say it was awful or anything, but I'd rather have the other amps.

I'm in love with the edge, clarity, agressivity of those amps. The guitars on the latest Zyklon album gives a good idea of how a PB sounds for example, and of the ENGL voicing in general.

I don't find any other amps to sound like this. And i understand that people that like fat modern polished tones a la Machine Head don't dig the ENGL so much since they have a kinda different if not opposite character.

It kills me not to have my ENGL SE at my place now... :cry:

Can't wait to be back home (my real home) and mic it with a 57 and post it here. (I improved a lot in terms of recording/dialing/processing since the last time i posted samples on this forum).

I'm in love with the edge, clarity, agressivity of those amps. The guitars on the latest Zyklon album gives a good idea of how a PB sounds for example, and of the ENGL voicing in general.

I don't find any other amps to sound like this. And i understand that people that like fat modern polished tones a la Machine Head don't dig the ENGL so much since they have a kinda different if not opposite character.

Can't wait to be back home (my real home) and mic it with a 57 and post it here. (I improved a lot in terms of recording/dialing/processing since the last time i posted samples on this forum).

Yeah, I'd love to hear some clips. I remember smy1 posting some good Savage clips, but even still I can hear things I don't like in the sound.

Hmm, I find Engl's to have a pretty polished, modern and somewhat processed sound to them as it is. In comparison, Machine Head-esque tones sound downright raw (i.e. 5150 type tones). I really like the Powerball voicing though, and would like to try one out on my own.

Hmm, I find Engl's to have a pretty polished, modern and somewhat processed sound to them as it is. In comparison, Machine Head-esque tones sound downright raw (i.e. 5150 type tones). I really like the Powerball voicing though, and would like to try one out on my own.

Sounds surprising.

Here are good samples of ENGL amps (found on netmusicians.net, great website !) :

ENGL Ritchie Blackmore (user: futurism):
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/89-futurism-blackmore_round.mp3
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/dualmic.mp3

i'd prefer with less gain though.

Then great ENGL SE EL34 by gibson5413 (I love those clips) :

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=amp&value=Engl SE EL34

I'd prefer those clips without the reverb though (i guess he was after an 80's vibe)

Some other great SE and powerball samples on his soundclick page as well :

check the "sixpounder" one, "carpe diem" also

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=406888&content=music

There are other tons of good ENGL stuff on the web but i'm too lazy right now

EDIT: and i just realized how Off-Thread we've just gone :)

The Blackmore seems to be the most raw of the Engl's from what I've heard from people who own them.

Well. I'll say it's more mid-rangey and rock-ish than the PB/FB/savage/SE/invader. It's also quite organic if you don't use too much gain.

But you can also get an SE and the Invader to sound very organic and raw with low gain.
Even with the Powerball. A friend of mine recorded a Foo Fighters-like band with the PB, and it sounds awesome :

http://www.myspace.com/divineofficial (check the song "the way")

I think this song can prove the PB is not only brutal death/tech metal, but can also work for rock for instance.

Also a good way to describe the sound of a PB for example is the guitar sound on the All Shall Perish albums. The 2d albums from Soilwork and Nightrage sound a lot like ENGL Blackmore/Savage to me also.

Honestly, assuming "Disintegrate" is the last Zyklon album (I'm a little behind the times), I find that tone to be pretty underwhelming, honestly. The example of the all-conquering awesomeness of Engl tones that I always cite is Dimmu's "In Sorte Diaboli" (SE slaved through a Savage power amp). Blind Guardian's "A Twist in the Myth" is all Engl as well, though I'm not sure which one (I think a Savage).

Honestly, assuming "Disintegrate" is the last Zyklon album (I'm a little behind the times), I find that tone to be pretty underwhelming, honestly. The example of the all-conquering awesomeness of Engl tones that I always cite is Dimmu's "In Sorte Diaboli" (SE slaved through a Savage power amp). Blind Guardian's "A Twist in the Myth" is all Engl as well, though I'm not sure which one (I think a Savage).

Yeah i meant "dinsintegrate". Just listened to it again. The tone is not awesome but still great and very representative of how a PB could sound like (but my favourite PB tone (my friend from Eyeless who is producing stuff for his band has achieved it while demo-ing stuff) is not like that. Less gain, more mids, passive pup's (the UV777 stock ones on one guitar and Bill Lawrence on his other guitar). Ends up sounding clearer, ballsier, rawer, edgier, a bit organic, plain better.

I should check this Blind Guardian album to hear the sound. The guitar tone on the Dimmu album is good but my favourite "Nordstrom ENGL" sound is on Soilwork's "chainheart machine" and Nightrage's "descent into chaos". :headbang:

heres some samples of my powerball on here. words to say and the others listed as powerball. dont mind that bugera. i had 3 of those pos so i could leave it at the rehearsal hall not a one of them lasted mroe than 3 days before blowing up.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=479598

the playing isnt the greatest and im no recording engineer. just mic direct into the mic jack of my computer. no preamp or anything so slam away. just gives you an idea of the sound. everyone likes what they like. I owned 5150, 5150II, krank, dual rec and xxx before I like the Engls the best personally. but each to their own. I need to get some new clips with both engls up though.

kris