searching for digital Engl sounding pre-amp

Alright so i prolly shouldnt just make that comment and not explain what i really mean.

I owned an engl Blackmore for well over a year amongst all the other amps that we have at the studio.

The amp was flat out fucking amazing to play on in the room. Cranking it up through a cab was fun and it really was a great amp...

Now heres the problem... While owning that amp i also had a PB and savage in here on a few different sessions as well as our normal 5150's, rectos, modded marshalls, uberschall etc...

The engls just flat out dont cut it micd up, at least not in my opinion. At first they are jaw dropping... and believe me i've done tracks with em and thought it was gonna be the be-all end-all.

THEN i start mixing. The amps just fall apart with any sort normal or extreme mixing eq. Well they dont fall apart as much as they just become, well... processed and lifeless. It just doesnt jump out at me like a recto, 5150, even krank. I dont know how to explain it... they are great... but not great enough. Other amps i can get the frequencies to just jump out at me.

The blackmore sounded kinda plasticy...the PB was just toyish and solidstatey and the savage was just dry and sterile.

I've never micd up an SE but it certainly was the most impressive i've played. Id like to give it a shot.

Alright so i prolly shouldnt just make that comment and not explain what i really mean.

I owned an engl Blackmore for well over a year amongst all the other amps that we have at the studio.

The amp was flat out fucking amazing to play on in the room. Cranking it up through a cab was fun and it really was a great amp...

Now heres the problem... While owning that amp i also had a PB and savage in here on a few different sessions as well as our normal 5150's, rectos, modded marshalls, uberschall etc...

The engls just flat out dont cut it micd up, at least not in my opinion. At first they are jaw dropping... and believe me i've done tracks with em and thought it was gonna be the be-all end-all.

THEN i start mixing. The amps just fall apart with any sort normal or extreme mixing eq. Well they dont fall apart as much as they just become, well... processed and lifeless. It just doesnt jump out at me like a recto, 5150, even krank. I dont know how to explain it... they are great... but not great enough. Other amps i can get the frequencies to just jump out at me.

The blackmore sounded kinda plasticy...the PB was just toyish and solidstatey and the savage was just dry and sterile.

I've never micd up an SE but it certainly was the most impressive i've played. Id like to give it a shot.

FUCKING DOT.

ok.

Looking forward to hear some ENGL SE miked by you :)

Now some off-thread: i loved the Capharnaum album... is there any chance for another album in the near future ? I also like the guitar sound a lot on this album (and love the production in general), what did you use ?

I took his comment to mean that once the whole mix comes into play and EQ and whatnot is used, the amps tone falls apart, NOT EQ'ing just the guitar tone itself. I could be totaly wrong, though.

Whatever happened to getting the right sound on tape so anything mroe than HP/LPF and mild cutting is needeD?

I didnt know that ever existed too often in the first place... Getting the right sound is about having one that takes eq properly across every frequency when needed. I rarely EVER cut anything on a guitar track besides my shelves.

But hey... what do i know? Its just the way i do it.

ok.

Looking forward to hear some ENGL SE miked by you :)

Now some off-thread: i loved the Capharnaum album... is there any chance for another album in the near future ? I also like the guitar sound a lot on this album (and love the production in general), what did you use ?

Hey dude, im not suecof but yes the capharnaum record is great and no there wont be one any time soon. You can however check out martyr, daniel (the 2nd guitarists other band), trivium (heafys other band, hehe), monstrosity (the bassists other band) and listen to some mary j blige tracks (seriously) and go to a bow wow show to check out jordan (the drummer) rockin out. Thats the best i can do for you now.

So no... no new record that i know of. That album is a XXX btw.