Seattle, WA 5.15.04

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Iced Earth w/ Guests Evergrey & Children of Bodom

Graceland, Seattle WA

After blistering sets by openers Evergrey & Children of Bodem, Iced Earth took the stage, playing in the background was "The Star Spangled Banner." When the house lights lit, the members of the band appeared & ripped into the American National Anthem. I was at first a little disappointed to see the size of venue that the band was playing at, a small club that probably had the capacity to hold approximately 400 sweaty & dehydrated metal fanatics. I of course, was one of them, being that the Schaffer & company didn’t take the stage until 11:00 PM, I was very surprised that about 95% of the crowd was still there. There was no chance I would miss this for the world. Quickly the band, broke in "Declaration Day" after the opening number. You would not believe, how close to the record they sound live, I had heard them during sound check from outside of the venue at about 5:15 PM. I had been waiting for a chance to run into the band for a possible interview, instead I ran into a handful of crazed Iced Earth fans outside. When I asked if they had seen the band? One replied "yeah they were out here about 30 minutes ago," I asked "so where are they now?" He said "they are inside," I asked "so they playing their disc on the p.a. ?" He quickly replied "no, dude that’s the band!" Needles to say I was floored! It was flawless & I was speechless. On this night, the set list was different than the first initial shows of the tour, gone was "When the Eagle Cries," and there was no "The Reckoning," replaced with classic I.E. tracks, which pleased the diehards & newbies a like. The response to Tim Owens was phenomenal, he has such a no frills stage presence that we all could relate to the guy. He had the audience in the palm of his hand from the opening note of the show. By far, the part that got the crowd into a frenzy was their performance of the "Something Wicked This Way Comes(trilogy)," & for the encore Jon donned a confederate flag decorated Les Paul & Rebel gear & his cohort on the opposite side of the stage wore Union gear & the Stars & Stripes decorated his Les Paul. That was a sight to see. The "Gettysburg(trilogy)" gives me chills everytime I listen to it on record, and to me it’s sacrilegious not to listen to it in it’s entirety I was in both shock & awe, it was like having a couple of blocks of ice stuck down the back of my shirt. Again, a flawless performance, when I looked around the crowd, I was amazed to see how many of the people were singing along, word for word with Owens & how many jaws had hit the grimy floor of the venue. Upon, completion of the 30 plus minute trilogy, Time asked the audience "you want one more?" Obviously, we would have had the band play all night if we could have, the crowd responded with a undisputed "yeah!" Iced Earth closed with "Iced Earth," the band put on a superb performance that I can’t remember the last time, I pumped my fist to the point that I couldn’t feel it. They tore through, 15 songs in 2hrs plus & it was worth every minute you brushed into another sweaty metal maniac. If Iced Earth rolls into your town & you have the chance to see them do. I would even suggest if you're not a big fan, go,you'll certainly be glad you did. There will be more fist pumping & horn flashing than you've seen in a longtime.

I'd like to thank Jon Paris @ SPV for being true to his word & hooking me up. Also, thanks to Jon Schaffer & Tim "Ripper" Owens for taking the time to answer a couple of questions & signing my Glorious Burden disc. At 1:30 AM in the morning & the rain? I speak for all the fans hanging out after the show, "Thank You."

SIXXSWINE-