Seeking opinions! First mix to post on here. DM

ulverine

Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, TX
www.facebook.com
Long-time reader/lurker, first time posting a mix here.

GTRs are two left and two right D.I. into Mbox.

All 4 are Schecter Omen 6<->redshift pup replacer<->soloc<->8505<->TL Space with awesometime s-preshigh for 100L/100R tracks, the other two are s-pres8 for 50L/50R

BASS is just one track of Copley 6-string D.I.'d through a Sansamp BDDI - all knobs 12oclock except treble at 1. Moderate compression, an Ampeg SVT impulse, and then a brickwall limiter.

DRUMS are Superior 2.0 with a kick sample heavily blended in for thickness and snare sample lightly blended in for some ping and crack. Both samples are from the forum; I forgot the name of the snare sample but the kick is Decapitated kick drum and pitch shifted about 11% up.

I know I'm not super tight as I'd like to be on guitar. When it comes to metal, I'm just generally used to writing Black Metal or Sludge stuff instead of Death Metal. I guess you can count in production-wise too; not really experienced in modern metal production. My BM stuff is somewhat "lo-fi" and raw, not as a copout but I dig that kind of production.

Anyway, advice on the mix is much appreciated!

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1261919/Metal_Test_Clip_Stereo Bounce.m4a

m4a is some Apple format, you can open it with quicktime.

The mix sounds cool, pretty oldschool. However the high hats are too high and a bit robotic imo. Maybe experiment with the velocity a bit?

Thanks. I kept second-guessing the hi-hat velocities, but I'll mess around with that. How does the low end sound in the overall mix?

Any recommendations on free mp3 conversion software? I have "Free Mp3 Wav Converter" by koyotesoft but every time I try to add my .wav in there, it says I cannot add the file. I had to use Itunes (pc version) to convert my file to an AAC version.