sellings of A Natural Disaster

Strangelight said:
Hey less of the major chord business, its just not doom!
Heres a question right? Why did Nirvanas - Nevermind get so popular?

Promo ? I dunno ... I wasn't really into music at that time, I was just a beginner. Well I reckon the music is good and maybe they got a big promo and it was the beginning of all this buzz around the grunge hype.

Nirvana also had good songs, and songs which had what it takes to sell. I mean, you need the promotion but you also need to have songs which will sell. Promote In The Woods... as much as you want, I don't think their music would ever sell much. (obviously I don't mean that popular music is inferior.)

Note: why do you people always say "well, sorry, no, I don't mean that money is important" and all that stuff? I mean, I don't get it. I don't think that you must play music you don't like jsut to get money, but if you were living on the albums you sell wouldn't you care about the money you receive? I repeat, I don't mean you have to play sth you don't like, but it's perfectly normal imo to care about how much money you're going to get... Disagree?

I think nirvana sold and still sells for the same reason avrin lavigne (you know this pretty fucking chick) is selling nowdays. Ok whether you like it or not nowdays selling => MTV => being in a big record company => perform whatever they telling you to => write small in duration songs in such a way that they dont scare little kids (boys and girls) who are the main target of the product of a well-paid and rich "mucisian".

I don't believe things are exactly like that. I mean, who says Britney Spears does not like the music she sings? I mean, I hate this music, but this does not mean that she believes her music is shit. She probably only cares about the money she gets, but then again she might actually like this music as much as I like anathema, or queen, or classical music. So, the fact that some musicstyles don't appeal so much to the masses does not mean that it's only because record labels don't back them. I agree that promo budget is definitely the major factor, but I just don't like always whining that we're the unlucky guys because labels don't want our music to sell.

I don't want my words to be mistaken, so I explain myself again: nobody can doubt that the more a band is promoted the more it will sell. And we do know that trend and hype are major factors. This is truth, beyond personal opinions. But I don't believe that it's fair to classify a musician as a sell-out just because his/her albums sell and I also don't believe that it's fair to use the equation "quality = 1 / number of albums sold".

back to the sells, they will be large in Poland I think, they have many fans there... does anybody know if it's out yet there or not?
I had my booklet with me to have it signed and I felt a bit sad that they haven't seen one in life before mine.
About Nirvana I think their songs are not those so-called difficult compositions, and this made them more popular and likeable. I have no problem with them but as they are still so popular and we can hear them everywhere, I am starting to have the symptom that I have with nu-metal songs: even if it sounded good I get bored of it after 3-4 times of hearing it and I cannot stand it anymore...

i think you guys are underrating nirvana a bit too much, they were more than just a "punk-rock band with a few riffs." they were the originators of an era, they reflected the problems and thoughts of the youth in the 90s. yeah they got aired on mtv a bit too much, but then is it cobain's fault? they are not a big thing for me, either, i listen to them like i listen to many other bands, but i always think they were something original.

I didn't want to sound like I underrate them, and nor I find Kurt's fault this thing around them, but still I think playing them all the time everywhere does no good to them... they were original but it seems to fade as nowadays less people are interested in what they WERE
I don't say it is the truth, only my opinion

It's all about promotion..
Angra went gold in Brazil.. They are on TV all the time, including major talk shows, MTV and all..
Their music isn't what is trendy today, but they are in a major label....

well angra is a brazilian band right? i dont think there is any way of anathema going gold in the uk.

it just plain shocks me that the greatest bands, music have always come from the uk, but the people there dont seem to care as much as other europeans do.