Semi-Prog Drum Machine Suggestions?

lucidphreak

New Metal Member
Mar 22, 2009
Greetings...

This is my first post here, but I am not a noob musician. I have been playing guitar/bass and to a lesser extent drums and keys since I was around 8 years old. I've been playing in bands since around 13, and live for 10 years or so.

My main interests revolve around music such as Fates Warning, old Queensryche, Maiden, Magnitude 9, Crimson Glory, and some of the newer stuff like Vanden Plas, Wolverine, Riverside, Pagans Mind, etc.

So from my band list I would say that my interests have prog tinges - but are not really "full on" prog like Dream Theater or similar. The main difference I see is that the stuff I'm into doesnt drone on with 5 minute guitar solos for the most part.

Anyway - I am about to embark on writing my first full "album". At this time I do not have a drummer who has the capability or the time to spend working with me on getting an acoustic kit recorded for the session, so in lieu of that I am going to at least attempt to use software based drums for the project.

In the past, I have used FL Studio for this purpose. Normally I will create the drums in FL, and then import the WAV file into SONAR PE and do the other "live" tracks there.

FL Studio seems *REALLY* awesome for straight ahead drumming and if I was only doing "ROCK" style drums I dont think I would need to look any further. Unfortunately though, any time I have tried to create rolls, off beat bass lines, etc - FL seems to have a habit of giving me "machine gun" style rolls or totally inhuman sounding off beat bass lines in return.

In looking around at other forums it appears there are many with this same problem - but I've yet to really find an answer that sounds like it will work for me.

I nosed around using the search function to make sure there wasn't already a thread devoted to my question and didn't find anything - but if this is a much asked question here please just drop me links rather than a flame.

I'm taking a look at EZ Drummer - which is one of the suggestions that some of the other places I've looked seemed to give, but please drop me your opinions here if you've had the same problems I'm discussing and have been able to find a usable solution.

Thanks - and thanks to the mods for running this board.

If you're gonna get EZdrumer then don't, get Addictive Drums instead.

I'd say go for Superior 2.0 though.