Senjutsu!

I've order mine already, the box set through Amazon, the Japanese limited edition CD through CD Japan and the standard CD through CD Universe.

It's been just over a week and I've already played the album more than The Book Of Souls. Lost In A Lost World is emerging as my favourite of Harry's new epics. Wholesale lifting of Moody Blues titles, here and on the next track, is noted.

I haven't been into a new Maiden release this much since 2006. Senjutsu is now a daily listen and each time I find more things to like about it. Nothing feels overlong or unnecessary and, where The Book Of Souls had an almighty length to distinguish itself from what came before, its successor has the depth to match.

It didn't grab me by the balls like other releases have, but is turning into a slow burner which I am coming around to. I think it is overly long in that I would have cut a few songs to distill the greatness a bit. Death of the Celts sounds nice but goes nowhere, and I would probably have left out The Time Machine and Days of Future Past as well. The synth gets in my ear quite a bit in most songs, I wish it was lower in the mix like on previous albums. This could have made for a brilliant release, but as is, I am still really enjoying the most of it. Bruce's voice is aging, but he knocks out Darkest Hour very well. And the context of the album shows that The Writing on the Wall and Stratego are both excellent singles. The Writing on the Wall is probably their best single in 20 years, actually.

I still haven't actually picked it up because my JB didn't have it for ages. Which is the best format to get it in?