Sentenced cover now online!

Caotico

Sep 17, 2001
Terra firma
www.darktranquillity.com
Sentenced cover now online - August 28, 2008

Our record label Century media celebrates 20 years and are releasing a double CD with various bands from the label playing cover songs of each other. Entitled "Covering 20 years of extremes", the album will be out on September 15 in Europe and October 14 in North America.

We chosed to pay tribute to one of the best and most legendary Scandinavian metal bands, the now defunct Sentenced from the frozen plains of Oulo, Finland. Check out our version of their song "Broken" via the link below:

www.myspace.com/centurymediaeurope

A short video clip from the studio can be found .

Canadian band The Agonist appear on the CD with a version of "Monochromatic stains" from our "Damage done" album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great! I think the original was among the best of from their Crimson-album, but this one is simply even better. Love the variety in Mikael's vocals here. :headbang:

Oh, and it's spelled Oulu, as I'm certain you knew already. ;)

-Villain

Sounds very nice. Especially nice to hear even more variety in Mikael's voice. Looking forward to the next album.
Horrible sound quality though, but that is Myspace's fault.

edit: @ Villain: Nice choice of words. I did not see your post until I finished mine.

Very nicely done. The growls are flawless, i absolutely love them. Of course it's the usual Mikael, but i do feel like he has taken growling and turned it into an art form by itself.
As for the clean parts, i do like his voice (to me it sounds a bit different than the other times, is it my sound settings or is it something everyone can hear?). My only objection would be the melody of the clean parts, i can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't sit too well with me.. Still very good job, and very nicely done, i think it surpasses the original.

edit: @ Villain: Nice choice of words. I did not see your post until I finished mine.

Yeah, I can see great minds think alike. :p

Siren: I, too, think he sounds very different from his usual self in some of the clean parts - even when compared to his relatively recent performances on Fiction. As mentioned, I really like the variation.

-Villain

Good job , I like this song.

:Smokin:

I thought Century Media would make a Sentenced tribute out, but it turned out to be a "Covering 20 years of extremes".

Great cover! Job well done, it has a lot more punch than the original. Great execution! Has Mikael been taking courses (or just practicing) clear singing? He does seem more in control of his voice on this track.

This song makes me feel like Projector is just out again!

I love it :)

I heard the original version after i heard the cover and to me the original seems dull. Just like RampageSword said the cover has punch and energy.
I love the singing.

has anyone heard Monochomatic?? His clean vocals are amzing, its almost a shame that he even growls...(even though i love his growls as well)

Awesome cover. I loved it. Dunno about "better" than the original; it's a great cover because it's very different. The growls were really pleasantly unexpected... they sounded a lot like the growls from the Gallery. Always the sign of the great cover... doesn't just try to sound better than the individual; it reinvents the song.

Also props for it being a SENTENCED cover. One of my favorite bands ever, hands down. May they rest in peace... =)

is it just me or does the song sort of resemble the first tracks of exposures? Static for example?