DARK TRANQUILLITY news update 2002-06-18

To whom it may concern, the DT page is down due to some server failure. It will be up from tomorrow some time in case you still haven't watched the video preview. Meanwhile you can check it out from Century Media's site, http://www.centurymedia.de
Maybe also from mine though I am not sure. But you can still go to check out artwork and stills for sure...

Originally posted by Narcoloth
@Thanatos: I think you are right about the res thing, you can't see much at this resolution as the video's very style is textured etc. As for the overacting thing, I think you're missing the whole point. If you read the "mission statement" in the DT site it says that all is under the prims of greek mythology and German Expressionism. Well, german expressionism was a movement in the early 20th century which in film was exactly expressed through bizzare set design, theatrica make-up and yes, overacting.

The whole video is a re-invention of that silent era, spiced up with several elements from other artistic movements and aspects.

Pardon my ignorance, I'll have to dig up german expressionism up (can you suggest where to start?)

It would be cool if you made a thread about the video, why did you use that scenery, characters, your impressions while making it, and so... ;)

@Thanatos: Well, in short, Expressionism sought to give shape to psychological states through stylised visuals. It sought to present the inner life of humanity rather than its outward appearance. In film this was achieved by using sharply exaggerated shadows and high-contrast lighting, disorienting skewed set design and vertiginous camera angles, as well as exaggerated acting.

The definitive German Expressionistic film of all times is "The Cabinet of Dr.Caligari (Das Cabinet des Dr.Caligari). shot in 1919, followed probably by "Nosferatu" and to a lesser extent "Metropolis" (not entirely under Expressionism). German Expressionism has been really influential. It generated the film noire and the horrot genres. If you watch any of Tim Burton's movies, you're gonna see how this is adjusted in today's standards.

As far as a thread is concerned, maybe it is a good idea, but only if some people are interested. I have a 13000 report on it, but I would first like to see how people interpret it. In any case I don't think it's a good idea to do so before the video will come out in its entity. There's no point analysing anything now, as you have just seen 1/4 of the video. So, when it is out, if you're still up for it, start a thread with a question and we see how it goes from there :)

@Eldzik,Misanthrope:

What's the deal with Quicktime? Why soooo against it? It's the only format that is 100% valid for both PC and MAC users. It also has one of the best compressors around (Sorenson 3), so that means best quality with the smallest possible file size=less download time.

If you make a small research on the matter on the internet, you will see that everyone agrees that Quicktime is the best solution for all the above factors. It's not by accident that most if not all of the movie trailers around are first out in Quicktime.

Thats just bullshit, quicktime is a Mac format with workarounds for pc. And since im not a considered person fuck mac users and get us a format that the MAYORITY of the people can enjoy, not some stupid crap that will piss off 90% of the dt fans. Im sorry but i dont make the market and if Mac gets so patetic and abandoned it has to switch to Unix then you see that im not alone in this opinion.

@Narcoloth: Well I would be interested in suh a thread but, yes, I agree it would be better if done after we've seen the whole video

Originally posted by Misanthrope

Thats just bullshit, quicktime is a Mac format with workarounds for pc. And since im not a considered person fuck mac users and get us a format that the MAYORITY of the people can enjoy, not some stupid crap that will piss off 90% of the dt fans. Im sorry but i dont make the market and if Mac gets so patetic and abandoned it has to switch to Unix then you see that im not alone in this opinion.

Fuck off and die already.

Well seriousley I dont think qt is the best format to use (even though I love it, works perfectly on my Powermac G3). But if it doesn't work in XP at the moment and thats a big problem but I'm sure it will be fixed soon, whats's worse is that there is no way to play QT movies in Linux. Not fun to reboot to the horrible look of Windows just to watch the movie. Mpeg works for everyone and with the player that comes with the system and avi is a little tricky to get to work on a Mac but it's atleast possible...

hmm, ok i will have to know this for the future. But i dont know, my bro uses XP and he can watch the video. strange...

I have to inform you that the version on the CD will also be quicktime, so you have one month to sort your systems out ! :p

I would say we have a month to rant and bitch about it so Niklas doesnt commits this mistake on a future video relase. And its funny to see how i got no real arguments i just got childish insults that would be expectable from perhaps the inflames forum. I dont see why should i be bitched about because nothing of what i said is a lie, quicktime IS a mac format and mac IS NOT the leader on the market, not by a long shot. I dont give a fuck about what graphics designers use they can use whatever they like, but normal people is always annoyed by things like this.

@Misanthrope: I think the reason you got such childish arguments (guilty as charged) is the attitude in your posts, and not probably the content. Expect to be treated as you seem to be treating the forum. You can make your point across without in a much more acceptable and effective way. So, just bear that in mind next time.

Well, in short, Expressionism sought to give shape to psychological states through stylised visuals. It sought to present the inner life of humanity rather than its outward appearance. In film this was achieved by using sharply exaggerated shadows and high-contrast lighting, disorienting skewed set design and vertiginous camera angles, as well as exaggerated acting.

The definitive German Expressionistic film of all times is "The Cabinet of Dr.Caligari (Das Cabinet des Dr.Caligari). shot in 1919, followed probably by "Nosferatu" and to a lesser extent "Metropolis" (not entirely under Expressionism). German Expressionism has been really influential. It generated the film noire and the horrot genres. If you watch any of Tim Burton's movies, you're gonna see how this is adjusted in today's standards.

I love expressionist films. :D Film noir is pretty awesome too. It has had a huge influence on some films I've watched such as "Dark City" and "Nightmare before Christmas". I wish life was like the expressionalist films. Everything being dark to match my mental scapes...

As for Misanthrope, he has posted as he does for a long time. It is sometimes difficult to determine when he is being sarcastic or serious, but in my opinion, his posts are still enjoyable probably as they are different even if snapey. That is just the way he posts.
The above is not meant to offend anyone; apologies if it did.

@Misanthrope: I think the reason you got such childish arguments (guilty as charged) is the attitude in your posts, and not probably the content. Expect to be treated as you seem to be treating the forum. You can make your point across without in a much more acceptable and effective way. So, just bear that in mind next time.

O so now my attitute sucks? Did you registered to UM yesterday? Do you know me at all? Fucked up attitude is my second name and everyone ( but you and ATG ) knows and ignores. Can you get to know me so you can ignore my crap like everyone else?

Well yes, I am new to UM but this doesn't mean that I can't have a personal opinion, which is that I think I can't communucate with you, not in the forum at least. Maybe in real life I can understand you more. Seing something in written form can take lots of meanings depending on the way you say it (angry, humorous, ironic, sarcastic etc). Anyways, I think that this was primarily a thread about the video... fire away:)