Septic Flesh

Erik said:
get over yourself raped by the light of christ is practically pop music :confused:

That's one of the more accessible tracks, sure, but the ridiculously trebly production values and uber-polyphonic tendencies make the album very difficult to appreciate for most metallers - you gobshite. It can sound like a mess.

The only songs I love, in order:
1. The Break of Autumn
2. Primal Breath
3. Raped by the Light of Christ
4. Non-Divine

Some of the other tracks are accessible because they genuinely are a mess...

uber-polyphonic? are you on crack? practically the whole album has two or three guitars playing single notes at any given time? now i dont know about you but three notes is not "uber-polyphony" to me

also the production is not "uber-trebly", if anything it needs a boost around 12 khz, however it IS ridiculously mid-heavy so cutting about 6 db around 3000 hz does it good

p.s. blood of the sunsets + stardrowned + the burning darkness > you

It's polyphonic in that there is hardly ever a point in which the guitars play the same thing and they often play greatly contrasting ideas simultaneously, and you know what I meant by trebly, my technical terminology with regards to production is non-existent but the point stands.

oh ok, but you know what, in that case you have the wrong definition of the word "polyphonic" which only means that there are numerous notes playing at the same time, nothing else

You could call the album harmonically complex...I think that's what you mean by "polyphonic". Although it's not even close to being the densest thing I've ever heard, compared to most classical music and albums like Obscura. The counterpoint is nice, but ATG have always had that as a strong point.

And the album really isn't that inaccessible. 10,000X more than SOTS, but still verging on ear candy (that's not a slight, btw).

And "Blood of the Sunsets" is a great song, as is "The Burning Darkness" if I recall. Although nothing beats "The Break of Autumn" and "Raped...".

Still, placing it as some sort of high-water mark just makes you look silly, mate. It's a widely praised album in metal circles. :)

Many a time have I seen people complain about how thin and messy it sounds. I suppose it depends on which direction it's approached from, I can certainly see it as being very inaccessible for some people in metal.

And no, I even do it on MSN.