2.Beneath The Remains
3.Mass Hypnosis
4.Stronger Than Hate
5.Slaves Of Pain
6.Hungry
7.Primitive Future
8.Sarcastic Existence
9.Lobotomy

I don't remember any of the songs. THat's how much of an impresion it left on me.

Just not my thing.

This is so tough, just because there are so many songs within songs on this album. It's all about the 5000 riff changes, and wailing Kisser solos that drill you down into the ground. I've owned this album since 1989, I need to review it. Fuck it, I'll do it now....(along with ranking):

1. Sarcastic Existence - gallop, gallop, gallop, mid-tempo riff change, Kisser 'nightmares' melody, and then...all out THRASH! The riff change at the infamous 2:30 mark is all I ever need outside of Iron Maiden. Weel, that and except maybe the machine gun riff in Dead Embryonic Cells.
2. Beneath the Remains - that acoustic intro, the first song on the album, it changed everything for me
3. Inner Self - taking almost one full minute before it finds the groove, and then BAM!
4. Stronger than Hate - blasting intro, and then follows those 'horror' riffs Max had mastered so well...
5. Mass Hypnosis - Jump in the fucking fire!! It was made for the pits! And then the first big riff change proves why Max and Andreas rule all! It's songs like this that make you think 'fuck Slayer back to hell'. :D
6. Lobotomy - Igor Cavalera at his absolute best, and that's saying something. And then it all slows down about halfway through, and just pounds and pummels away until you're skinless
7. Slaves of Pain - Wall. of. Sound. Enough said.
8. Primitive Future - oh noes, it's Planet of the Apes....and then the speakers explode in all fury!
9. Hungry - furious and blasting away, just not as inventive as the others so I place it last

10/10. A+. Perfect.

I gotta admit, ranking songs is always difficult for me, because I don't really think of albums as a bunch of songs stapled together (I never do random play or mix tapes for myself). I even loathe greatest hits because it makes every track into a single and kills the continuity of an individual release.

Either way, Inner Self or the title track is my favorite song from Beneath the Remains. :D

NAD said:
I gotta admit, ranking songs is always difficult for me, because I don't really think of albums as a bunch of songs stapled together (I never do random play or mix tapes for myself). I even loathe greatest hits because it makes every track into a single and kills the continuity of an individual release.
i enjoy ranking songs. its just natural that some tracks stand out.

DrBell said:
inner self #1....i don't know the damn order. one of THE greatest thrash albums ever, probably top three, all the songs kick ass.
That's what made them so incredible, the fact that both BtR and Arise are top 3 best thrash material of all time. No other band (outside of Metallica) has more than one album that is top 3 material in the world of thrash.

I defy it.

JayKeeley said:
That's what made them so incredible, the fact that both BtR and Arise are top 3 best thrash material of all time. No other band (outside of Metallica) has more than one album that is top 3 material in the world of thrash.

I defy it.

Dark Angel's Darkness Descends is worthy of mention.

JayKeeley said:

I defy it.
Nonsense! For pure riffery, Anthrax's "Spreading the Disease" and "Among The Living" are da bomb. They're right there with anything ANY thrash band has put out.

markgugs said:
Nonsense! For pure riffery, Anthrax's "Spreading the Disease" and "Among The Living" are da bomb. They're right there with anything ANY thrash band has put out.
Yeah but are they both contenders for Top 3 thrash albums of all time? Surely not...

...and I would rank State of Euphoria higher than Spreading the Disease anyway!

Among the Living would be infinitely better if each song was cut in half. I still really like the album though.

This album is possibly one of the ten best albums in metal, ever. :kickass:

In celebration, I'd like to buy a BtR shirt....but damn, they're not easy to find!! There's one on eBay going for like $80.

The band don't sell it, merch dealers don't sell it, if anyone sees it anywhere on the intraweb, let me know. (size L)

how's this for a bit of news ...

SEPULTURA founding members and brothers Max and Igor Cavalera have confirmed that they are collaborating on new music for the first time in more than 10 years. According to reports, the material will be released as a completely new project, separate from Max's work in SOULFLY.

Jose Mangin of Sirius Satellite Radio's Hard Attack just returned from Phoenix, Arizona where he visited Max at his home and got a chance to hear some of the music that has been written for this new band.

The material, which has been described by Mangin as "sick"-sounding, may include guest appearances by members of NAPALM DEATH and SOULFLY guitarist Marc Rizzo, although this has not yet been confirmed.

it was inevitballle ... inevitabbbale.... innevitable

teamamerica_09.jpg