3) kreator pleasure to kill
4)slayer hell awaits
5)metallica kill em all
6) exodus bonded by blood
7) slayer reign in blood
8) metallica ride the lightning
9) metallica master of puppets
10)megadave rust in peace

Fix formatting and titles or I'm not counting it. You did this the last few rounds and I'm just done with it.

There was a thread I did a few weeks ago to get this started. The rounds progressed and everyone voted on these as the top 10.

life-does-not-stop-and-start-at-your-convenience.gif

Nice to see you come back, though.

Stopping at 10 would be better than that because there's so much variation in the prelimimary thread that it's hard to really determine if that shows a true top 20.

I'm still waiting for others to offer suggestions on how to change it.

Two rounds: preliminary and then voting the top 20 down to the top 10.

Other than that, keep the rules in the preliminary round to a minimum. No rules against multiple albums from the same artist, no rules against bands with one album or against albums whose track length is a prime number. Don't make this overcomplicated. Just let us list favorites from the genre.

The one rule I will say that I like is that you have to vote for all the albums. It compels people to listen to anything they've overlooked.

Should EPs be counted in your opinion? What's the disadvantage to having three rounds in your opinion (prelims, top 20, top 10)?

I really dislike not having an album limit because you have situations like this where you had 4 Slayer albums in the top 20. I mean, if we don't have a limit for the black metal one there is a definite chance there will be 5 Burzum albums in the top 10. Do people really want that? There's no differentiation and it's pretty mindless in my opinion. I won't limit it in terms of album output (ie. disqualifying bands with only one album) though

I guess an alternative could be that we go to a top 20 and if people aren't satisfied we can do a top 10 after that.

Okay, my top 10:

1) Megadeth - Rust in Peace
2) Metallica - Kill Em All
3) Metallica - Ride the Lightning
4) Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
5) Exodus - Bonded By Blood
6) Metallica - Master of Puppets
7) Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
8) Coroner - No More Color
9) Slayer - Reign in Blood
10) Slayer - Hell Awaits

Should EPs be counted in your opinion? What's the disadvantage to having three rounds in your opinion (prelims, top 20, top 10)?

I really dislike not having an album limit because you have situations like this where you had 4 Slayer albums in the top 20. I mean, if we don't have a limit for the black metal one there is a definite chance there will be 5 Burzum albums in the top 10. Do people really want that? There's no differentiation and it's pretty mindless in my opinion. I won't limit it in terms of album output (ie. disqualifying bands with only one album) though

I guess an alternative could be that we go to a top 20 and if people aren't satisfied we can do a top 10 after that.

If an EP is that good, why not? Heck, Reign in Blood is short enough that you can argue it's an EP and it might come in 1st place on this list.

You're overestimating the Burzum love and underestimating the love of other black metal artists. Burzum isn't getting 5 albums in the top 10. I highly doubt any Burzum albums other than Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosfem make the top 10. Maybe Det Som Engang Var makes the top 20. Albums like S/T and the newer releases don't have enough love to make the list. Heck, there's a sizable chunk of the black metal fan base that doesn't even like Burzum to begin with.

On the other hand, it seems stupid that I have to limit myself to two Sabbath records in the heavy metal list when 1. they most definitely have more than 2 of the top 20 heavy metal albums and 2. are essentially two very different bands under one name (Ozzie era and Dio era). If a band in a certain genre really made that many great albums, let them get their praise. If not, the voting will speak for itself.

1) Slayer - Show No Lightning
2. Metallica - Ride the Puppets
3( Slayer - Reign in The Forecast
4/ Metallica - Kill Some of Them
5 Kreator ~ Pleasure to Color
6! Coroner - No Time to why the fuck isn't this Mental Vortex
7+ Sepultura - Aroused
9. Exodus - Bonded by a Bail-bondsman
8' Megaderth - Rust In the Dump
10. Slayer ~ he'll awaits

7+ Sepultura - Aroused

You dick

I lol'd

As far as crimsonfloyd's post goes: I would think that splits shouldn't be counted for obvious reasons. I could see EPs in certain genres making the list though. I'm willing to expand it for the next few.

7+ Sepultura - Aroused
I laughed pretty hard. Reign in the Forecast. Haha

7+ Sepultura - Aroused

Disqualified.

I rather have 1 album per band. Have some variation and not like this were two bands takes 50% of the top 10 list (3 Metallica, 2 Slayer)

I rather have 1 album per band. Have some variation and not like this were two bands takes 50% of the top 10 list (3 Metallica, 2 Slayer)

Yeah I like this idea too. We would have gotten a lot more underground/newer stuff represented in the top 20. We don't need to be telling people 'hey listen to these 3 Metallica albums' but instead 'hey listen to these 3 different bands'.

There is a problem with 1 album per band though. People won't agree on which is the best album by that band, and they might miss out of the top 20 because of it. Ex 3 people vote for RtL, 3 vote for MoP, 3 vote for Kill Em All, but other albums get 4 votes because a band only has 1 good album or etc...

One solution would be, tally up the number of votes a BAND received, to see if they get in the top 20. Then put their album that received the most votes up there. Tiebreakers would have to be figured out somehow.

Second attempt at this;

1. Slayer - Show No Mercy
2. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
3. Artillery - By Inheritance
4. Testament - The Legacy
5. Metallica - Kill Em All
6. Sodom - Persecution Mania
7. Slayer - Hell Awaits
8. Exodus - Bonded By Blood
9. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
10. Testament - The New Order

I never understood the love for 'Rust In Peace'. Sadly, Sabbat(UK) - Dreawmweaver is absent from the top 20...personal favorite for thrash.

EDIT: Rule should have been, 'Top 10 Thrash Albums (not by Big 4)', for the sake of variety. Granted this defeats the purpose of 'top 10 thrash metal albums'.

Second attempt at this;

7. Slayer - Hell Awaits

I never understood the love for 'Rust In Peace'. Sadly, Sabbat(UK) - Dreawmweaver is absent from the top 20...personal favorite for thrash.

We're all choosing from the same 10 at this point. You can't just pick Testament, make Rust In Peace #10 if you don't like it. The prelim round is where you choose what you want.

EDIT: Rule should have been, 'Top 10 Thrash Albums (not by Big 4)', for the sake of variety. Granted this defeats the purpose of 'top 10 thrash metal albums'.

This isn't a bad idea. Exclude some other bands too or it's just going to be all Coroner, Kreator and Testament though. I still say we need a Top Modern Thrash Albums (after 1995 or something).

I don't really care about doom and I own, like, 4 doom metal albums so have at it.

Second attempt at this;

7. Slayer - Hell Awaits

Your second attempt is still incorrect. Read the damn original post. I posted a top 10 that everyone votes on and 40% of your choices aren't even included.

Status
Not open for further replies.