Sepultura- Roorback

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Roots Lite?

The album sounds like a mix of the roots and nation- with less of a hardcore influence, and less diversity in general- I dug the classical, reggae, native, hardcore influences of Nation- as well as the slightly better range of the new singer( although I still prefer the old Max). Now, alot of those interesting influences of Nation, have been replaced by songs that sound like they could be on roots- or even in Max's Soulfly band. Furthermore, the new singer is basically just singing like Max did all the time.

The good things, well there are a few solos here and there (more than roots), and the native drumming is always around the corner- Igor's drums are mixed just right, but the big problem is- if you have roots- why do you need Roorback? Hell, the last song Outro is totally reminscent of the native instrument finale on Roots.

It just seems they could have done better, and tried new formulas, instead of rehashing a formula they have already done a few times, and one that Max also is and has been rehashing. I personally would have liked to see the nu- metal riffing finally disappear- and for Sepultura to try new and more interesting Latih-South American native or even popular music.

It's about time Sepultura returned to their thrash roots instead of the nu-metal and hardcore shit they've been giving us.
A nice return to the riffery of Arise would go down nicely next I think!

Well until mighty Max of the four string guitar returns we ain't gonna get any old style thrash Sepultura. I mean how cool was it the first time you heard them shift gears mid song (their trademark I would argue) in a seamless instant. Oh well those were the days.

Maybe I'm conservative on this matter, but to me Sepultura is dead without Max. To me Sepultura doesn't excist anymore. This is a different band playing poorly versions of sepultura songs.

I reckon Sepultura helped the nu metal movement with Roots (and maybe even Chaos AD) when it was just beginning, why shouldn't they keep moving in the same direction, if they can't cut it in that style why would they be any better at doing thrash now, especially with The Haunted pumping out their bastardised sweedish thrash which is all people care about these days.

Note I'm not dissing them, Arise is fucking Awesome and still is.

I think Chaos A.D. is their best, followed by Arise, then BTR, then Schizo, then Roots, then Nation. I hoped Roorback would be Arise meets Nation, but I guess not. I still have to hear the album.

Sepultura beat the Haunted anyday.

I found Roorback to be a bit on the dull side. Alot of the songs are too slow and uninteresting for my taste. Nation was far better. There's not a lot of diversity on Roorback like there is on their previous works. I found myself craving the Rawness they had with Arise, but that's just me living in the past. I just expected/hoping that it would be a little diverse and a bit faster.

~I'll still buy the album, because Sepultura destroys Max's Stirfry anyday. But Max is probably the last person who'd want to go back to the deathrash sound. And everybody bows to Arise. Beneath the Remains had much better riffs. Arise was pseudo-industrial filler, just a step behind Chaos AD.