Sequencing Software

The Rhone

Nov 8, 2006
Bromley, Kent
Just had a new PC built which I want to use just for music. I just need a good sequencing software suite.

At the moment I am looking at,

Sonar
Cubase

Any ideas.

Just had a new PC built which I want to use just for music. I just need a good sequencing software suite.

At the moment I am looking at,

Sonar
Cubase

Any ideas.

do you mean sequencer or DAW, because those are two separate things. In terms of DAW, I am a huge sonar fan. Why? Because the workflow is just as fast and imo a little bit easier to use than pro tools, and the midi programming is the best, I don't think anyone would contest that.

And the king of sequencers that I am aware of is FL Studio.

do you mean sequencer or DAW, because those are two separate things. In terms of DAW, I am a huge sonar fan. Why? Because the workflow is just as fast and imo a little bit easier to use than pro tools, and the midi programming is the best, I don't think anyone would contest that.

And the king of sequencers that I am aware of is FL Studio.

I'm with you about FL, but as a Sonar user (and fan of the workflow) since i started using Cubase, i kind'a feel i stepped forward, the things i miss from sonar mostly are the mono/stereo easyness, and i thought i missed the midi editor but, i missed that when moving from fruity loops to sonar, but in terms of recording, metering and editing, i'm keeping Cubase. :eek:fftopic: does reaper already have a freeze function? :popcorn:

id say reaper. (and I'm a hardcore pro tools user)
Cheap, easy to use and well featured

I'm with you about FL, but as a Sonar user (and fan of the workflow) since i started using Cubase, i kind'a feel i stepped forward, the things i miss from sonar mostly are the mono/stereo easyness, and i thought i missed the midi editor but, i missed that when moving from fruity loops to sonar, but in terms of recording, metering and editing, i'm keeping Cubase. :eek:fftopic: does reaper already have a freeze function? :popcorn:

A DAW is what I am looking for, for good Audio recording facilities and a excellent midi side too, with decent midi editing and drum grid.

So is Cubase generally seen as a step forward from the likes of Reaper and Sonar?

I'll vouch for Sonar. I demoed all the major DAWs for the PC platform a few years ago, and went with Sonar because of the workflow. Sonar was also the first DAW to introduce 64 bit floating point audio engine and support for 64-bit computing, embracing that years before any other DAWs started supporting 64-bit. But, yeah, I haven't tried the latest few Cubase versions, but I'm well happy with Sonar.

Fair play. I am demoing it at the moment, although the version of SX3 that I am using at the moment sounds as good on the audio front and the Drum Editor is so easy. However the midi note editor on Sonar rules.

I'll cast another vote for Sonar - been using it now for the past 5 years and have tried others, but have always come back to Sonar - it's workflow just seems to work for me. All of the commercial DAW packages have their pros and cons and it is best to try a variety of solutions. Sometimes you may also find that you like working in multiple products.

My only suggestion would be if you are going to make the plunge on a DAW, don't skimp out and buy one of the watered down versions like Sonar SE or Cubase Essential - while I started out with Sonar Home (which was fine in the beginning and for what I was doing it fit the bill at the time), but when it came time for me to grow some with my music, I tried to save a few bucks and bought Sonar SE instead of the more pricey Sonar PE - in the end I decided to upgrade to PE within about 5 months and it cost me more in the long run than it would have to take the plunge when I switched from Home to SE.

Most of the stuff you read about and find in depth tips about are for the features found mostly in the full fledged product and it sucks when you find someone giving you great tips to do a function only to find out that it is not applicable to your watered down version.

Just my 2 cents - as always your mileage may vary.