Serenity Painted Death

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I was wondering, how do YOU pronounce Serenity Painted Death... wait actually, let me rephrase that. When you say the title of the song, or think it to yourself do you think of it as 'Serenity that has been painted Death' as in the colour 'Death' or more like 'Serenity-Painted Death', like 'Death' that has been painted with 'Serenity'.

Ahm... yes, I know that was weird, but it's kinda been eatin away at me lately.

I always thought of it as 'Serenity that has been painted Death,' but know that you've got me thinking of it, I'm all confused...
mad.gif

I think both ways work in the context of the album, because they're essentially saying the same thing, just phrasing it differently... it's just that I was curious to know what it was in say, Mikael's mind when he wrote down the title.

Moonlapse said:
I think both ways work in the context of the album, because they're essentially saying the same thing, just phrasing it differently... it's just that I was curious to know what it was in say, Mikael's mind when he wrote down the title.

I don't know, to me there's a slight difference between the two and the first one makes more sense to me.

In a more politically correct and grammatically correct approach I think that 'Serenity-Painted Death' makes more sense, but seeing the Opeth line of english mistakes I can probably see the other option as being it... actually im almost certain it is, it's just that 'Serenity-Painted Death' makes more sense in the english language.

When I think of Serenity Painted Death I think of Death painted with Serenity....or peaceful death. I also think of the fact that it's my FAVORITE song by my FAVORITE band and I hope they play it May 2nd when I see them live:headbang:

I've always thought of it as Death that is painted with serenity.

What about The Drapery Falls? Is there drapery falling or is 'The Drapery Falls' a location like a waterfall?

i put tonic stress on the second syllable of 'serenity,' which would indicate 'serenity-painted death' as was mentioned above. 'painted' is used as an adjective, not a verb.

NOONE said:
I've always thought of it as Death that is painted with serenity.

What about The Drapery Falls? Is there drapery falling or is 'The Drapery Falls' a location like a waterfall?

Actually when I first got the song I thought it was a waterfall type thing but when I actually thought about it I realized Mike was most definately reffering to Drapery Falling as an adverb describing possibly a struggle as someone falls, maybe rips the drapery off the windows.

death that has been painted with serenity.

I think the "The Drapery Falls" is a metaphor. But then again I haven't read the lyrics yet either, lol. However, the title says to me the end of somethin, maybe life. Sounds kind of depressing death.