Serious question for a change.

Col_ossus

Formerly Ulster Mosher.
We got news tonight that my Uncle (my Mum's brother) who lives in Canada, has just passed away. He had been ill for a while and had deteriorated recently with a form of Parkinsons, and recently developed pneumonia.

My question is this. We have no idea the way things happen regarding deaths in Canada. What sort of time span is likely to pass before his body is cremated. We understand that there is no such thing as a "proper" burial there, and no real service, but my Mum, and her Sister really want to make the trip for his final journey, but on the eve on Christmas, it would be very unlikely that they'd be able to get a flight out there.

Is the cremation likely to take place before Christmas, or closer to New Years? Like I said, its the first time that anyone in our family, even those directly affected, has had to deal with this, and we are just sitting at the end of the phone waiting for it to ring. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I wish I could help with your questions, unfortunately the few times I've had to deal with this I've been too distraught to learn the process. We're all here for you.

Sorry to hear about your loss. My guess is that your uncle will get cremated within a few days, probably before Christmas. It shouldn't take too long unless your family requests some type of delay.

My uncle passed away last in a fire last December and the funeral was about a week later, despite the weather being bitterly cold.

So sorry to hear of your loss - my thoughts and prayers are with you. You know, we all get a bit crazy on this board with the many rants that happen here, but in times like this you will find a lot a friends here who are thinking of you. Take care man.

Ulster Mosher said:
We got news tonight that my Uncle (my Mum's brother) who lives in Canada, has just passed away. He had been ill for a while and had deteriorated recently with a form of Parkinsons, and recently developed pneumonia.

My question is this. We have no idea the way things happen regarding deaths in Canada. What sort of time span is likely to pass before his body is cremated. We understand that there is no such thing as a "proper" burial there, and no real service, but my Mum, and her Sister really want to make the trip for his final journey, but on the eve on Christmas, it would be very unlikely that they'd be able to get a flight out there.

Is the cremation likely to take place before Christmas, or closer to New Years? Like I said, its the first time that anyone in our family, even those directly affected, has had to deal with this, and we are just sitting at the end of the phone waiting for it to ring. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I'm not sure what you mean by "There is no such thing as a "proper" burial there"; Canada is just like any other civilized nation (despite what you may have heard :D )

Funeral arrangements are usually made by the next of kin, so this would include arranging cremation/burial/etc, and usually occurs within about a week. You may wish to speak directly to whoever is making the funeral arrangements.

Sorry for your loss.

nafnikufesin said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "There is no such thing as a "proper" burial there"; Canada is just like any other civilized nation (despite what you may have heard :D )
I only go from what I've heard from the family, and I'm sure things along the way have become somwhat lost in translation. I would imagine that things are probably done differently to where I am from, and I certainly do not want to offend. Hence my reasons for asking. Hope you took no offence from my ignorance.

Ulster Mosher said:

Cheers.

Sympathies and condolences man. Your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks again all. Word has come back from Canada that the cremation will take place in a few days time. My Mum and her Sister fly out to London tomorrow night to catch a connecting flight to Toronto, and they won't be home till Boxing Day. Looks like Christmas is cancelled in our house. MEH!!!!!

Sorry to hear everything is so messed up right now. I'm sure you will find things are not so different here in Canada with respect to those types of things, but there is at least less chance of getting shot at the service. (sorry tasteless joke at inappropriate time)
I hope you will get a chance to have Christmas togather on Boxing Day.
All the best.

Ulster Mosher said:

Cheers.

Ulster,

really sorry to hear about this mate. I'm told by a mate at work that pretty much every aspect of Canadian Law is based on British Law fairly closely (and indeed their case law is applicable to our own as is Australian and New Zealand rulings), so the Coroners laws and burial laws are likely to be coterminous too.

If there's anything I can do, email me (on my profile).

All the best,

C.

Sorry to hear about that man. I'm also sorry that I can't help you. I have no idea. My great uncle passed on two Decemebers ago, and my great aunt passed on a couple days ago. Luckily my friend was over and helped me get through it. Friends are always helpful in these situations.