Setlist for 10/14/11 show - review

The Grand Rapids show was pretty decent.

The venue was just as small as I remembered (I had seen GWAR there like 10 or 15 years ago). It got really crowded when Testament started to play. I don't think it was sold-out but it was pretty full. The beer there tasted awful for some reason and even the diet Pepsi I drank was nasty. There was only one fracking sign on the building and it was too small. The place was hidden between a show girls joint and a laundry-mat that looked like it had been through world war 3.

Death Angel was first and their sound totally sucked. It must have been their equipment because Testament and Anthrax sounded a whole lot better. The crowd wasn't too much into them but I did notice a handful of Death Angel fans from the shirts and jackets they were wearing. Honestly I would have preferred more time for Testament and Anthrax.

Testament had a pretty good set and response. Tons of Testament fans were there. I am not too familiar with their music but they sounded good and made a good effort to look and act "Metal". The whole band spent a good deal of effort to assume "Rock Out" poses both on the main stage area and a special stepped area around the drum set. The crowd was into them pretty decently. The only thing that made me laugh was that the lead singer was pretending to play a guitar during almost the entire set list. His "air guitar" was enhanced by his prop microphone that had some glowing highlights. It was pretty hilarious to see this air guitar dance.

Anthrax came out with matching outfits. Reddish with a stylized "30" logo with the Pentathrax. The set list above is confirmed. I expected a bunch of songs from the new album and the standard classics and we heard them but was surprised to hear a John Bush-era song too. All in all I was happy with the set list. No "Got the Time" this time either. :)

Joey did tons of crowd vamping and encouraging the audience to sing along. All the guys went on about how this was their 30th anniversary and all. The folks I was with was like wasn't their first release in 1984? They must be counting their garage band days into it. :) The band did some "Rock Out" poses but a lot less than Testament and Ian jumped around a bit but the band mostly stuck to jamming the songs out. They were really loud. The music was so loud that it was hard to hear the vocals (especially during the first two songs). They must have turned the vocals up because they became clearer after a bit.

All and all a good show but for a "main set" the Anthrax part seemed short. I think they actually played longer than Testament but maybe it seemed that way because the Testament songs were shorter? Either way I sure would have preferred to just have seen Testament and Anthrax without Death Angel so they both could have had longer sets.

I guess I am getting tired of opening acts. I just seen Primus on Tuesday with no other acts and Amon Amarth back in August with no opening act either. The "double set" main act only setup with a break in-between was great. Primus sounded amazing in the movie house layout of the Michigan Theater. One of their best performances yet.

The only thing that made me laugh was that the lead singer was pretending to play a guitar during almost the entire set list. His "air guitar" was enhanced by his prop microphone that had some glowing highlights. It was pretty hilarious to see this air guitar dance.

Pay attention next time you see Chuck, he's "playing" the actual guitar parts on his mic stand!

Having ONE opening band shouldn't be the make-or-break factor in whether or not the headlining bands have enough time to play. Most shows (generally speaking) have 3 or 4 opening bands. So in other words, Anthrax's set is as long as they want it to be. I don't think having Death Angel or any opening act for that matter is cause of a shorter Anthrax set.

Quick Minneapolis review (just got home at 3am and have to be up in 4 hours for work): setlist was the same as Chicago + Got The Time (so Grand Rapids setlist + Among The Living + Got The Time). Venue, which holds about 1800, was pretty full (maybe 1500). Tons of technical problems setting up Charlie's kit. Band was scheduled to go on at 10:15 but was 20-30 minutes late due to technical problems.

Band was on fire. Joey sounded good and everyone seemed very high energy. The crowd was really into it, with tons of moshing on the mainfloor - I was second level. Scott gave Joey extensive grief about the Vikings getting whupped tonight. I didn't see any of Death Angel or Testament. Got to meet the entire band after the show. As an online poker player myself, I had a nice long conversation with Scott about poker. People I talked to liked the setlist of lots of classics + 5 new songs. Aside from wanting a longer show (obviously), it was a great night :headbang: