SHADOW GALLERY Vocalist MICHAEL A. BAKER Dead At 45

Justin88

Sep 2, 2007
Vocalist Michael A. Baker of progressive power metallers SHADOW GALLERY died on Wednesday afternoon, October 29, 2008 after suffering a heart attack. He was 45 years old.

Mike was a founding member of SHADOW GALLERY and for the past 16 years, helped shape the band's sound with his magical voice. Additionally, he made many appearances on rock records around the world.

According to a statement from SHADOW GALLERY, "Those who knew Mike best were moved by his gentle spirit, sincere kindness, fun nature and passion for both music and sports. He was a warrior in the studio, a true professional. Mike was our friend, our singer and our brother. We loved him and will miss him enormously, but he will always be remembered in our hearts and through his music."

Magna Carta Records last year issued a "best-of" collection from SHADOW GALLERY, entitled "Prime Cuts". The CD featured 12 tracks chosen by the band, including a previously unreleased demo from the "Carved In Stone" sessions ("Rule The World") and edits of two tracks from the "Legacy" LP ("The Crusher" and "Colors").

SHADOW GALLERY began in the early 1980s under the name SORCERER, changing their name just in time to sign with Magna Carta Records in 1991. It was a young band joining forces with a young label. Both were doing something brave and fraught with risk: They were making music that is complex enough to merit careful attention, built around a compelling but oddly non-commercial blend of virtuosity and emotion, and saying that maybe there's a place in the world for something other than three-minute songs. SHADOW GALLERY uses its chops to tell stories — big stories, sometimes so big they have to span across multiple albums.

SHADOW GALLERY's fifth album, "Room V", was released in May 2005 via InsideOut Music.

RIP Mike :'(

Michael A. Baker, guy who was singing with emotions, Colors always touches my heart. Great loss. RIP Michael.

Horrible news! I heard it yesterday and didn't want to believe! Mike and whole Shadow Gallery was extraordinary band ... great loss indeed

My favourite singer, for his emotional and wonderful voice. I will miss him, and I hope Shadow Gallery could survive this terrible moment.

Gary Wehrkamp posted the following on the Shadow Gallery forums:

Gary Wehrkamp said:
I wanted to thank everyone everywhere for the heartfelt comments that are everywhere. I have had a chance to read so many of them, and they are very moving. I have to admit I can get very emotional getting through some of them, but it is very helpful to know how many lives Mike has touched. His impact on this world has been great and it is overwhelming to see just how far his voice has reached.
The band had just begun recording another record, and my plan was to release a press release about this around November 6th, but such news is trivial and unimportant compared to us losing our close friend of so many years. Still there are many people wanting to know the fate of this band.
It has been difficult to address but it is time to say something.

Shadow Gallery will continue. We will finish this record and make it as potent as it can be. There are some questions to be answered, but we feel confident we will be provided with the answers.
We have read so many of the touching comments, and heard from so many people these past two weeks and we look forward to giving the Shadow Gallery fans our very best, to honor them, and Mike.

It will be very interesting to see in what direction SG goes from here.