Shallow Life is a sell-out

nat0

Sep 6, 2008
This pretty much describes the whole album. And the arabic influenced melodies? What a f**king lie.

No doubt! My biggest album disappointment in many years. I listen to the classics on a weekly basis but gave this away to a 13 year old cousin who likes that "E" band & hip-hop. That should tell you how original & metal it is.

Yeah :( I wanted to hear some lacuna coil, not pop music. :(

TBH the only song I felt was alright was "Spellbound".
The rest sounded like Lacuna Coil with all of the great melodies that made them sound different taken away. If you were to show a LC fan back when Comalies just came out, they would think it's a clone band.

Shallow Life is better than Karmacode but they should return to the things they have done in Unleashed Memories.

Wow. I just stumbled across this message board from another one I like to visit. So after reading this thread, I decided I would listen to the new album - my god how they've changed. From Comalies to this? I didn't buy Karmacode because I thought it was rather cliche and unoriginal, so I sure as hell won't buy this. Comalies was a great album, so it's a shame how they've changed their song-writing to a rather mediocre standard.

Wow wow wow,
Sell out is WAY to harsh, and i agree this alb is better than Karmacode imo..

I must say i do miss old stuff, im a sucker for old stuff, where the band started from, any band, and yes people will say they prefere old albs ( Evanescence anyone?, i could go on throwing band names.. )

Piss's me off people love to throw around the lab 'Sell out '

Have you heard this rip-off song they made of one of linkin park's?
Lacuna Coil : Not Afraid (if i remember right)
Linkin Park : Runaway

And thats not the first for ANY band, ill give you a list if you like ( again i could go on )?
( wont be the last ! )

On end note if you wanna fucking listen to brutal METAL then go listen to those bands!!!!!!

well look I was probably too harsh but I'm sticking to my word here, this album really changed their direction to a mainstream audience, it's obvious with the song writing and lyrics. thats why it's a sell out because by doing this they're going to get a bigger fan base. Plus it feels like they're not really making music because they enjoy it, but because it pays. I'm not saying they should stay the same, I would hate that. But when a band changes you want the change to be innovative or different in some way to other bands, instead they went mainstream. Don't get me wrong I love lacuna coil, this album just seems too contrived. I blame it on the producer, who worked with linkin park and other pop bands.

I think the new album is good. I thought Karmacode was the sellout, to be honest.

Not a huge fan of the band, but I've been familiar with their past albums. I hear the song Spellbound 2-3 times per day on the radio (I work at a gas station) and was pretty disappointed to find out it was LC.

Wow wow wow,
Sell out is WAY to harsh, and i agree this alb is better than Karmacode imo..

I must say i do miss old stuff, im a sucker for old stuff, where the band started from, any band, and yes people will say they prefere old albs ( Evanescence anyone?, i could go on throwing band names.. )

Piss's me off people love to throw around the lab 'Sell out '

And thats not the first for ANY band, ill give you a list if you like ( again i could go on )?
( wont be the last ! )

On end note if you wanna fucking listen to brutal METAL then go listen to those bands!!!!!!

What's the fuck was that last comment of yours ?? :lol: I'm the only one here who just stated a thing about a song and you're telling me to fucking go and listen to brutal metal?? try and stay polite will you?
I like Runaway of Linkin Park and I that's an obvious rip-off, not intentional of course but knowing the band like them and the same producer... Oh well, I prefer Karmacode better but that's just a matter of taste.
Oh and I never said this album is a sellout.

I have since changed my mind about spellbound. I listened to the song WITHOUT the video. It's about the only song I can appreciate though.

In regards to those classifying karmacode as the sellout I would have to disagree although it does seem like a stepping stone to shallow life... 'within me' comes to mind as a prime example of this.

What I really liked about Lacuna Coil was the scales they used to write the melodies - my favorite being the ones you can hear on the song swamped, our truth or you create; what I see etc. Maybe they got sick of these exotic type of scales (I don't what they're actually called but they sound arabic) but what about 'unleashed memories' and the minor scales they used there? Thats another one of my favorite albums by them...

What I'm trying to say is my favorite part of lacuna coil has been taken away. Let's be honest; the guitar work isn't that great but its catchy, the lyrics are decent, Cristina's voice has an awesome tone and she is hot and andrea can't sing without having his voice tuned in the studio. Apart from Cristina's voice, theres nothing that great in Lacuna Coil anymore because of the mainstream approach to their songwriting!

Cristina should find in a new band imo or at least get involved in a side project.