Shape of despair the band + Album angels of distress

Doom-metal.net

New Metal Member
Sep 29, 2008
Shape of despair

Misery, loneliness, pain, suffering are the words which can describe this slow tempo, extreme riffs funeral doom. Their style is somehow unique thanks to their singer Pasi Koskinen (ex Amorphis) who is taking shape of despair to the new ground.

These funeral doom band from finland is well known to people who loves slow, mourning, somehow sad but also very mystical, they might just take you to another world.
Some ask: "How can you listen to the same riff for 100× times?" Well the answer is simple, they are just great. Your thoughts fall away and they are great for background music. I've found this amount of mystical sound only in this band. Their lyrics are also very depressed and mystical, and Pasi makes it even better.
If you like songs which are 15min long with mybe 3 riffs than you will like them.
I havent seen them on concert, that kinda sucks, because they dont have almost any.
You can see their Myspace and listen to song Angels of distress, it is common song in their repertuar.

Discography:
Shades of - 2000
Angels of distress - 2001
Illusions's play - 2004
Shape of despair - Best of - 2005

Official website:
www.shapeofdespair.com

More at http://doom-metal.net

Shape of despair - Angels of distress

The second full lenght album from Shape of despair, and in some ways probably the best.
It was presented to the fans in 2001 and it has resumed the mystical and old sound from the previous album "Shades of..."
Is it better? Not really, it is very similar to the previous album.

This album carries very deep emotions, depression, loneliness, and pain. You can fly in you distant world when you are listening to this dreamy music. You can imagine the mystical lands, the trees in the dark and so on. It is one of the best funeral doom albums of all time. Rythm is slow and calm. But the songs are full of sounds, from guitars and drums which are common to some side effects which make the album really dark and doom. Guitars have that perfect heaviness, and drums that force although they are very slow played.
Lyrics are also very deep. One of the main themes of lyrics is landscape, forest, mist, night and so on. Some times the lyrics, vocals and melody is almost creepy like in the previous album.

Shape of despair have done a great job and i can say this is really one of the best albums ever published.

1. Fallen 06:09
2. Angels Of Distress 09:44
3. Quiet These Paintings Are 14:40
4. ...To Live For My Death... 17:22
5. Night's Dew 07:01

Total playing time 54:56

Published at Spikefarm Records

More at http://doom-metal.net

Maybe an essential funeral/doom album. This type of doom, imo, is very introspective, and they create a bleak aura. Another good review, man.