Shape of Despair - 'Angels of Distress'

jesse

living, breathing
Apr 29, 2001
Solitary Refinement
www.daylightdies.com
I've been searching for the new Shape of Despair album 'Angels of Distress' for several weeks without luck. Supposedly it has been released on Spikefarm a month or so ago... but if that is the case, I'm not sure why none of the normal Spikefarm distro's seem to have it.

If anyone has any information of where to grab it, please let me know.. this is a MUST have..

Supposedly it has been released on Spikefarm a month or so ago...

I found this above the Spinefarm-catalog:
"Please take note:
Items written with bold-font have not yet been released!"

And this one is still written with bold-font, so...

Originally posted by my dying groom

I found this above the Spinefarm-catalog:
"Please take note:
Items written with bold-font have not yet been released!"

And this one is still written with bold-font, so...

But... But... I thought someone on the Katatonia Mailing List posted that they had a copy. Guess it was a promo. Damn.

Originally posted by forlorn soul
But... But... I thought someone on the Katatonia Mailing List posted that they had a copy. Guess it was a promo. Damn.

I've seen several people who said they have it too, but they probably are promos because I can't find it anywhere. On a somewhat related side note, Skepticism has some new releases in the works!

Well, I´m going to order the album in my record shop and than I have to wait for 2 or 3 weeks! So that´s the only thing I can say try to order it in your record store!

Cheers

Musically speaking, though, that album is worth every problem you encounter while trying to get a hold of it. The best doom metal in ages, imho.

Hmm. Perhaps I should try to organize an interview with Shape Of Despair for my 'zine...

If any of you are still looking for the new Shape of Despair, 'Angels of Distress', you can get it @ www.theendrecords.com for $11 including shipping!

I've actually had it for several weeks and can say it's a true masterpiece. Fucking unbelievable. If you are into beautiful and graceful suicidal doom with soothing female choir and violin, get this shit immediately.

I also got it some days ago and it's like a drug, can't stop listening to it, it just makes you forget everything that's around and forget about hope...
Is the first album as good and desparate as this one?

The first album is really incredible too. It's differnet in the fact that it doesn't have violin, but it does have the femaling chorus sort of thing. The first one has a bit more of a 'Twin Peaks' sort of feel.. I recommend it for sure.

Well, thanks, I finally got it today and was not disappointed in any way!
That's strange how underrated this band is by the way...

Originally posted by Aurélie
Well, thanks, I finally got it today and was not disappointed in any way!
That's strange how underrated this band is by the way...

I agree completely, but I think it has something to do with their ultra-slow style... their loss though.

I feel the same way about Saturnus though, I mean both their full lengths "Paradise Belongs to You" and "Matyr" are incredible, and their mCD "For the Loveless Lonely Nights" is _unbelievable_, yet they didn't get remotely close to the amount of attention deserved. Not comparing them to Shape of Despair whatsoever, just another under-rated band (and also a very slow band..).

Too bad..

Jesse, I'm glad that you mentioned Saturnus (R.I.P) since they were an amazing breathtaking band. There is just something about the atmospheres they made and the vocals... one of the best vocalists in the scene, even his spoken word voice gave me chills - let alone his mamoth growls !!! And the song "For the loveless lonley nights" - Beautiful... a kind of song that can lull you into a deep sleep.

Originally posted by redblueyes
I like slow if it's beautiful, not suicidal, or suicidal-slow.
So is Shape of Despair - awesome or super slow? It can't be both! (Can it???)
Jesse, help me. I can't spare $11 if I'm not gonna love it!:lol:
Pick me out ONE cd I should get as I haven't checked out anything new lately.

Unfortunately, it is both very slow, very beautiful AND it is in some etherial-way, suicidal. I would not compare SoD to Skepticism in any way, except the speed aspect.. both are very slow.

But here's perhaps a happy medium, go to my personal page @ www.magentaskycode.com -- I currently have a full song of 'Angels of Distress' up. If you like that song, you will like Shape of Despair. If you don't like it, you won't like Shape of Despair. Just please allow the full song to play (it's long) and be patient. Crank the stereo, hit play, and lay on your bed.. I can't imagine it not deeply effecting anyone who gives it an honest chance. It is the OPPOSITE of the 'attention-deficit-disorder' metal with pointless notes every half a second..

It's too bad so many people have these negative feelings towards doom and slow music/metal, because there is a large range of incredible music in this category. I'd admit that Shape of Despair is the slowest band that I _deeply_ enjoy though.

As far as spending $11, well, I think the new Anathema (both new album and 'Resonance' best of) is killer.. I also loved the new Evergrey.. and I'm not much into that style, but that album is really a 'classic' sort of feel.. ;).

I can only agree...That's very slow music indeed, but it's not a never-ending lamentation, that's not the kind of "boring" or pointless doom metal band. I wouldn't say it's suicidal, because suicide is hope in a way, and there's really no hope in SOD. What I like in their music is that there is no cry, because generally when you cry you eventually realise it doesn't make things better and then it gets even worse. With SOD that's as if your heart was beating as slow as the music, as if you were as low as possible and couldn't fall lower. It could maybe be compared that with what you can feel with Brave Murder Day.
Just to say that yes it can be awesome and very slow...Of course it can not please everybody, but I'm sure many people would like it if they had the chance to try, by the way I wouldn't have bought the album if people on the mailing list hadn't talked about it and if I hadn't heard it at the records shop. So, I don't know Saturnus but I should maybe check it!!

Originally posted by redblueyes

IT's that s-l-o-w painful stuff that gets me irritable. Like, I think I have a Saturnus cd someone recommend but if I recall I wasn't crazy about it at all. I don't even remember listening to it more than 1-2 times.

WHAT?!?!? OK, well if you don't like Saturnus, and can't even listen to them more than 1 or 2 times, then I don't think I'm the appropriate person to recommend music for you. Or at least, I'll make sure anything I recommend is very ACTIVE and UPBEAT...
Saturnus rules!

Thanks for uploading, forlorn soul, this song just blew me away :eek:
Sorry, gotta go now. I'll lay siege to my record store until it's available.