Share your methods for improving your clean sound on a 5150 !!

i've heard about that bias mod tip, i'll try using a bit of crunch and see where that goes. Interested in hearing a bit more about that clean mod kit thewintersnow :D

What's for sure is that i don't wish to get rid of my 5150 and i've never liked using a multi effect board :/ i mean just for cleans.. meh...
thanks for the quick replies though :D

Bias mod definitely helps to make the amp sound more badass all over. I didn't really notice a huge difference in cleans (aside from them being much warmer and less sterile and brittle), but the lead channel is a total beast after the mod.

Use as much PreGain as possible (while still having a clean sound) and go lower with the post-gain. Less "glassy", warmer and more pleasing clean tone.

My solution was getting a 5150 III though :lol:

Just in case you haven't tried : if you have passive pickups, have you tried playing with the volume and tone knob of your guitar ?

yes of course first thing i did

also, i can't plug into my fx loop or the poweramp or whatever since this is for live purpose.
I have the mk1 so i can't fiddle with EQ, yeah i'm being annoying :D

I'll try everything out and see what pleases my ears more

I think, you can use AMT F1 (fender clean channel pre-amp) in 5150 loop. AFAIR it have a passive bypass.

Hey everyone i'm back !

Sorry for diggin this thread up. I've found some interesting solutions.

- First of all, like said before, putting your pre-gain around 2 or 3 and post-gain as low as possible does help a bit but depends on which pickups you have.

- Using lower gain preamp tubes which means changing your V1 to a 12AT7 or preferably a 5751 (you'll just have to put more gain on the lead channel so that's not a problem).

- Getting a bias mod.

Otherwise i'm going to try out a friend's tc flashback in the loop and up front to see the difference, see if that helps...

Also has anyone tried the boss acoustic simulator or even the FDR 1 with a peavey 5150 ? http://www.thomann.de/fr/boss_fdr1.htm
I'm curious to see if that helps or not :)

Okay so i tried the tc flashback on it's own on my 5150, clean channel. REALLY REALLY HELPS !
I tried it with the mxr micro chorus aswell and while it was okay, i didn't like it because the sound was too common. It wasn't that sort of feel and tone i was looking for.
But the tc flashback on it's own is a miracle :D I was impressed by this little blue box, all the different modes and everything make it interesting and really fun to play with.
If anyone else is trying to get a better clean sound out of their 5150 this is what you need :)

My solution is to just use a pod hd300 through the FX return. The soldano preamp emulation is close enough to the the actual preamp in the 5150 that I can live with it, and I turn off power amp and speaker emulation on all my patches. The distortion sound suffers a little bit but it's worth it to me to be able to have good cleans and separate patches for solos etc. I'd like to be able to just use the pod for cleans and switch to the fiddy for distortion but I am dumb and even though I've had people explain the process to me I still can't figure it out :banghead:

@TRUIE that's what i thought at first, but it gives more depth and sort of hides the shitty sound :D it isn't the best clean sound for sure but it does help (even more if you do the bias mod and change the preamp tubes !).